Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 34 Withrow (OH) 27
Final.
I'll be interested in hearing the breakdown of this one.
Towles was pressured. No completions. Very close game that Withrow should have won. They apparently dropped alot of well thrown balls that should've been TD's. Highlands was very fortunate tonight..
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Towles was pressured. No completions. Very close game that Withrow should have won. They apparently dropped alot of well thrown balls that should've been TD's. Highlands was very fortunate tonight..

No completions, or FEW
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Towles was pressured. No completions. Very close game that Withrow should have won. They apparently dropped alot of well thrown balls that should've been TD's. Highlands was very fortunate tonight..

Did he rush the ball at all?
according to the radio broadcast; No completions the entire game. Towles ran the ball for big gains. True had an awesome game. Couple injuries. Apparently Withrow was throwing at will on Highlands and HHS had no answers. They were very fortunate Withrow only started passing in the 2nd half.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:according to the radio broadcast; No completions the entire game. Towles ran the ball for big gains. True had an awesome game. Couple injuries. Apparently Withrow was throwing at will on Highlands and HHS had no answers. They were very fortunate Withrow only started passing in the 2nd half.

????
Stardust Wrote:????

Quillen, Compton, Streeter (ankle I think), Seidl (Hand) and Hollingsworth limping
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Quillen, Compton, Streeter (ankle I think), Seidl (Hand) and Hollingsworth limping

WOW. Has Ty been getting a lot of PT?
Colin; hand injury

I must have been at a different game then the one you were at. Withrow was big and had a very fast QB, but do not see where they should have won. Close game at half and HHS came out and took the game in 3rd and early 4th quarter. Withrow made some plays late in the 4th with the help of an onside kick recovery. Did not see any drops that would have been TD's. Some drops, some low throws, and some big hits causing some drops. Withrow had success in 1st throwing and to start the 2nd half went to the run (could not run agianst HHS D). Not sure why they waited till 4th to go back to the passing game? Towles had no time to throw in 1st half and did not need to in 2nd, as HHS ran at will. Withrows QB kept them in the game; He got loose in the back field at least 10 times on plays that should have been for a big loss. He was extremely fast. Alot of hard hitting on both sides; will be alot of sore players tomorrow on both sides. HHS will not play agianst anybody as big the rest of the year and no one faster than Withrow's QB.
What's the lowdown on Withrow?

I know they traditionally have a ton of talent, but are not what you would consider to be on the level of the Cincy Public School Big Boys, let alone the GCL. I would liken them to a deeper Louisville Central..nonetheless I expected Highlands to win by a bit more.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What's the lowdown on Withrow?

I know they traditionally have a ton of talent, but are not what you would consider to be on the level of the Cincy Public School Big Boys, let alone the GCL. I would liken them to a deeper Louisville Central..nonetheless I expected Highlands to win by a bit more.

Very big everywhere, with good speed (excellent speed at QB). Very good defensive backs that stayed right with every HHS WR step for step. Towles was throwing into double and triple coverage the entire 1st half. HHS looked determine to throw the first half, regardless of how good the pass D was by Withrow(was he setting up the run in the 2nd half?). Withrow did look to fatigue more than HHS. Continue to see HHS coaching staff make the difference in the 2nd half of game after game.
congrats to Highlands
NCC41 Wrote:Did he rush the ball at all?

159 YDS rushing for 4 TD's.
[quote=sstack]159 YDS rushing for 4 TD's.[/QUOTE

This was Towles rushing stats.
Stardust Wrote:I'll be interested in hearing the breakdown of this one.

And all the HHS fans are looking forward to your breakdown of tomorrows game!
sstack Wrote:I must have been at a different game then the one you were at. Withrow was big and had a very fast QB, but do not see where they should have won. Close game at half and HHS came out and took the game in 3rd and early 4th quarter. Withrow made some plays late in the 4th with the help of an onside kick recovery. Did not see any drops that would have been TD's. Some drops, some low throws, and some big hits causing some drops. Withrow had success in 1st throwing and to start the 2nd half went to the run (could not run agianst HHS D). Not sure why they waited till 4th to go back to the passing game? Towles had no time to throw in 1st half and did not need to in 2nd, as HHS ran at will. Withrows QB kept them in the game; He got loose in the back field at least 10 times on plays that should have been for a big loss. He was extremely fast. Alot of hard hitting on both sides; will be alot of sore players tomorrow on both sides. HHS will not play agianst anybody as big the rest of the year and no one faster than Withrow's QB.

This is pretty much the same game I saw also . Interesting game. Both teams made big adjustments at the half. Almost like watching two different games. QB for Withrow is very good. Highlands running game is fine. True and Streeter and Towles did a great job running the ball. Good game for both teams. Happened at a good time in the season in my opinion.
Glad to see the Ky team get the win.
incinnati Withrow 0 0 7 20 27
Highlands 0 7 14 13 34
Scoring summary:
H--Towles 9 run (Weinel kick); H--Towles 3 run (Weinel kick); CW--Kelly 13 pass from Moore (Wade kick); H--Towles 3 run (Weinel kick); H--True 1 run (kick failed); CW--Bellamy 60 pass from Moore (Wade kick); H--Towles 6 run (Weinel kick); CW--Riley 6 pass from Moore (Wade kick); W--Riley 8 pass from Moore (kick failed).
Records: Highlands 4-0, Cincinnati Withrow 0-3.
More details: Host Highlands (4-0) withstood three Cincinnati Withrow touchdowns in the fourth quarter to stay undefeated. Withrow fell to 0-3.
The Bluebirds had 354 yards of offense — all on the ground. Highlands quarterback Patrick Towles failed to complete any of his seven pass attempts.
But Towles made up for that with his legs, rushing for 172 yards and four touchdowns on 19 carries.
Withrow quarterback Blake Moore burned Highlands̢۪ defense for 352 yards and four scores.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z0zDvkFqok
sstack Wrote:I must have been at a different game then the one you were at. Withrow was big and had a very fast QB, but do not see where they should have won. Close game at half and HHS came out and took the game in 3rd and early 4th quarter. Withrow made some plays late in the 4th with the help of an onside kick recovery. Did not see any drops that would have been TD's. Some drops, some low throws, and some big hits causing some drops. Withrow had success in 1st throwing and to start the 2nd half went to the run (could not run agianst HHS D). Not sure why they waited till 4th to go back to the passing game? Towles had no time to throw in 1st half and did not need to in 2nd, as HHS ran at will. Withrows QB kept them in the game; He got loose in the back field at least 10 times on plays that should have been for a big loss. He was extremely fast. Alot of hard hitting on both sides; will be alot of sore players tomorrow on both sides. HHS will not play agianst anybody as big the rest of the year and no one faster than Withrow's QB.

I didn't attend the game but listened to the radio. The announcers said that Withrow dropped alot of balls that could've gone for six.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...309100126/

Last week, Patrick Towles showcased his arm.

On Friday night, Highlands’ junior quarterback used his legs to lead the Bluebirds to another victor

Towles rushed for 159 yards and four touchdowns as Highlands overcame a sluggish start in a 34-27 win over the battle-tested and pesky Withrow Tigers at David Cecil Memorial Stadium in Fort Thomas.

• Photos: Bluebirds 34, Tigers 27
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Follow Mike Dyer on Twitter
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Having thrown for five scores in last week’s blowout win against Beechwood, Towles took advantage of an overly eager Withrow defensive front and found open running lanes most of the night as Highlands improved to 4-0 this season.

"He’s a very versatile athlete," Highlands coach Dale Mueller said of Towles. "They were playing great pass defense, and Patrick came through when we needed him."

Towles, who had 99 yards rushing total through the first three games of the season, recorded 40 alone on his first called run play of the game with 10 minutes remaining in the first half. That was the first play of a drive, and setup the game’s first score. Two plays later, Towles sprinted through the middle for a nine-yard TD. The Bluebirds took that 7-0 lead into halftime, and then Towles and running backs Jordan Streeter and Jake True helped Highlands build a big enough lead in the second half to stave off a late surge by Withrow (0-3).

For the second consecutive week, Withrow lost to a defending state champion. After falling 49-35 last week to defending Ohio Division II state champion Winton Woods, the Tigers missed some critical early opportunities in their bid to try to upset Kentucky’s three-time defending Class 5A champions.

"Missed opportunities: That’s been the theme for us so far this season," Withrow coach Doc Gamble said.

On the game’s opening series, Withrow drove to the Highlands 37-yard line before junior running back Trey Rice was stopped for a two-yard loss on fourth down.

Late in the first quarter, Withrow linebacker Iva Durand sacked Towles on consecutive plays, resulting in losses of 15 and 17 yards for Highlands. The last sack nearly resulted in a safety, forcing Highlands senior Adam Weinel to punt from the back of his own end zone.

The punt gave Withrow the ball at the Highlands 31-yard line, but the Tigers couldn’t capitalize on the outstanding field position. On the third play of the series — and first of the second quarter — Highlands senior Austin Abner intercepted Blake Moore’s pass over the middle.

Withrow opened the second half with an onside kick, which Highlands recovered. The Bluebirds needed just three plays and 57 seconds to score — an eight-yard run by Towles.

After the game, both coaches said this is the end of the home-and-home series between the schools. Mueller coached at Withrow from 1985-90, and Gamble was his quarterback for three of those seasons. The series was scheduled when Gamble left Withrow to coach Fairfield. Gamble then returned to his alma mater before the 2009 season. Gamble calls Mueller a mentor and friend, and looks forward to going back to the days of talking to him multiple times a week.

"We’re never playing Withrow again," said Mueller, whose team won 21-0 at Withrow last season. "Those are our best buddies over there."
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I didn't attend the game but listened to the radio. The announcers said that Withrow dropped alot of balls that could've gone for six.

Come on whackem; you didn't even attend the game but feel comfortable stating Withrow should have won. That's silly. Makes me wonder if more of your strong opinions stated on here from time to time have the same sandy foundation. I don't care what you heard from announcers. There was no way that Withrow should have won this game. :HitWall:

Give lots of credit to Withrow's coaching staff for putting together a nice game plan. Their DC is a former Highlands asst coach who is very familiar with Dale and Dale's offensive thinking. He knew the strength of the O was the deep pass, and felt with Highlands best RB not playing, Highlands run game might not be up to the task. He followed the coaching conventional wisdom of forcing Highlands to beat Withrow by doing something that wasn't their strength. So he totally committed Withrow's D to stopping the pass; particularly the deep ball. And with the athletes he has in the secondary, he could do it.

But it left a gaping hole in his defense: defending the run. Which Highlands exploited mightily. Towles, Streeter and True all had their best games running the ball. Withrow's O made some nice adjustments in the second half and was able to move the ball. Although a lot of that has to be credited to the Withrow qb scrambling very well and forcing the d secondary to come up. We had some youth and inexperience in the secondary this week and they learned some good lessons the hard way.
Unfortunately had to see the game through Gadd and Fennell's eyes. I'm only going by what I heard and since they do the play by play, I thought it was legit stuff. Sounds like they need more trivia time in their radio schtick. I do appreciate your in depth analysis of the game and respect your opinion that Highlands wasn't in jeopardy friday night. Wish I could've been there myself.