Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds dismiss GM O'Brien
So what does eveyone think, I am glad they got rid of him, maybe now with the new owners and a new GM we might get some pitching in here.

CINCINNATI -- The first major change was made during the brief Bob Castellini ownership of the Reds on Monday.

Castellini, whose purchase of the team was approved Thursday, dismissed general manager Dan O'Brien. A replacement has not been named, but director of baseball operations Brad Kullman will take over as interim general manager.

The Reds and Castellini plan to hold a 5 p.m. ET press conference at Great American Ball Park. The new owner informed O'Brien about his decision Monday morning.

"I want someone in this job who is my choice," said Castellini in a statement. "I told Dan he has worked hard and has worked diligently to rebuild the farm system and scouting department of the Reds and that we appreciate his efforts."

O'Brien was named Cincinnati's GM on Oct. 27, 2003, and was entering the final season of a three-year contract. The Reds have struggled under his tenure, going 149-175 (.460) in the last two seasons and finishing no better than fourth place in the National League Central division.

The 2005 season's fifth-place finish with 73 wins was particularly rough to take for the club, which had high hopes entering the year because of several offseason moves. O'Brien attempted to upgrade the pitching staff by trading for Ramon Ortiz and signing Eric Milton to a three-year contract worth $25.5 million.

Milton wound up setting a club record with a Major League-leading 40 home runs allowed, while going 8-15 with a 6.47 ERA. Ortiz ranked fourth in homers allowed with 34 and posted a 5.36 ERA before not being tendered a contract during this offseason.

There were other major moves made during the O'Brien era. He fired manager Dave Miley and hired Jerry Narron, the team's current skipper, in June. Narron posted a 46-46 record last season after replacing Miley.

Team leaders Danny Graves and Sean Casey also parted with the club this past year. Graves, the club's all-time saves leader was designated for assignment in May after struggling and making an obscene gesture to a fan. Casey, who was the team's longest-tenured player, was dealt to the division-rival Pirates for pitcher Dave Williams in December. O'Brien, who is the son of longtime Rangers executive Dan O'Brien Sr., also enjoyed some bright moments -- including the emergence of All-Star shortstop Felipe Lopez and starting pitcher Aaron Harang.
nice post
Great move. I take it that the new owner means business.

I was actually starting to like OB a little bit. But I like the course of action by the new ownership. I really think that it sends a strong message that they are going to turn things around.

I am surprised that they kept John Allen. I figured that they would have kept OB before him.

I wonder how long it is before they bring in "sweet" Lou . . . .