Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congress punts tough choice until after election
When the going got tough, Democrats got...out of town. No budget and no vote on whether to extend the Bush tax cuts beyond the end of the year. 39 Democrats in the House voted against adjourning the session early to give their endangered colleagues more time to campaign.

Nancy Pelosi was afraid to let members vote on extending the tax cuts because she did not have the Democrat votes to defeat the measure. Now, they will have to defend not acting to prevent taxes from skyrocketing in 2011 and not even voting on a budget for 2010.

Do these cowards deserve to be reelected?

[INDENT]
Quote:Congress punts tough choice until after election

WASHINGTON (AP) - A deeply unpopular Congress is bolting for the campaign trail without finishing its most basic job - approving a budget for the government year that begins on Friday. Lawmakers also are postponing a major fight over taxes, two embarrassing ethics cases and other political hot potatoes until angry and frustrated voters render their verdict in the Nov. 2 elections.

As a last necessary task before leaving, both the Senate and House passed a temporary spending measure needed to keep federal agencies operating when the new budget year starts.

As Congress moved toward a messy end to a session fraught with partisan fire, President Barack Obama campaigned for Democrats in Iowa and Virginia, accusing Republicans of being dishonest about what needs to be done to revive the economy and restore middle-class dreams.

With their House and Senate majorities on the line, Democratic leaders called off votes and even debates on all controversial matters.
[/INDENT]
I'm not surprised by this. My main concern now is what happens during the lame duck session especially if the Republicans gain control. Will the defeated Democrats vote with or against Obama?
Old School Wrote:I'm not surprised by this. My main concern now is what happens during the lame duck session especially if the Republicans gain control. Will the defeated Democrats vote with or against Obama?
Excellent point, Old School. I have just assumed that Democrats would use the session to try to push through every left wing item left on Obama's agenda. But many of them are likely to start displaying a backbone and begin preparing for their next campaign.

I think freshman Democrats who came into office in 2008 claiming to be Blue Dogs are the most likely to buck Obama and Pelosi. The experienced left wingers who are about to be thrown out of office on their ears are just as likely to do as much damage as they can before they leave office. In other words, they may continue to vote in lockstep with Obama and Pelosi.

I love the fact that Pelosi had to cast the deciding vote on whether to adjourn early. How embarrassing and how much more embarrassing it would have been if her fellow Democrats had forced her to keep the chamber in session over her objections. I believe that Pelosi's political career is pretty much toast.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Excellent point, Old School. I have just assumed that Democrats would use the session to try to push through every left wing item left on Obama's agenda. But many of them are likely to start displaying a backbone and begin preparing for their next campaign.

I think freshman Democrats who came into office in 2008 claiming to be Blue Dogs are the most likely to buck Obama and Pelosi. The experienced left wingers who are about to be thrown out of office on their ears are just as likely to do as much damage as they can before they leave office. In other words, they may continue to vote in lockstep with Obama and Pelosi.

I love the fact that Pelosi had to cast the deciding vote on whether to adjourn early. How embarrassing and how much more embarrassing it would have been if her fellow Democrats had forced her to keep the chamber in session over her objections. I believe that Pelosi's political career is pretty much toast.

I agree that the freshmen Democrats are more likely to buck Obama and his agenda. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the ones leaving office are holding a grudge and vote against Obama.