Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 34 Matewan, WV 28 (OT)
I'll start out with this, Matewan is one heck of a football team. They were well coached and they had an incredible game plan defensively that just eat the Blackcat offense alive. Pburg QB, Adam Crisp had a game to forget with I believe 4 or 5 turnovers and 3 being INTs. He recovered late as did the rest of the Blackcats. They finally woke up midway through the 4th quarter after Matewan was just landing punch-after-punch. Matewan led by 15 in the 4th quarter and the the Blackcats made some great plays to tie it up and send it to overtime. From there Pburg took offense first and on the sweep, Jamerson scored from 10-yards out. On I believe 3rd down for Matewan, Pburg freshman, Grant Anderson picked it off in the endzone to seal the deal for the Blackcats.

The Blackcats dearly missed Alex Griffith (MLB/TE) on defense. He's the leader of this team and when things weren't going their way, they really had no body to look too. Jamerson stepped up and probably had his best game of the season, but we didn't see a whole lot out of Bryson Williams tonight, who has put up some big numbers thus far this season. Nathan Slone continues to show that he is capable of making plenty of plays on both sides of the ball and I continue to be more and more impressed with the freshman, Grant Anderson. He's going to be something else when he matures more. My player of the game for the Blackcats just has to be OL/DL, Chris Cook. He opened up a ton of running lanes late in the game and come up with some big stops in the backfield on defense. He's a monster!

#6 for Matewan has to be the most fundamentally sound RBs I've seen this season. He runs low and hard and he gave Pburg fits all night. The cover-2 look Matewan used worked perfect for them the entire game. Their LBs jumped the snap I don't know how many times and got to Crisp and forced a ton of snapping errors between the center and Crisp.

I also want to point out that the officiating was absolutely horrible both ways. I do think that Pburg got a few calls, most noticeably the interference in the first half that wasn't called on the Blackcats. I know their fans and players are leaving with a bitter taste in their mouth and I just want to say that I enjoyed watching their football team and enjoyed the atmosphere their fans brought to the stadium. I'm sure everyone in black & red thought they were going to roll over Matewan, including myself, we were terribly wrong... Matewan has a great team and they shouldn't hang their heads over this outcome, they played a great game!
congrats p-burg:Clap:
wow, cant believe that score,congrats to P-burg,Matewan prob thinks they can beat Belfry now,lol
Congrats BlackCats!
Congrats to the Cats
cuppett777 Wrote:wow, cant believe that score,congrats to P-burg,Matewan prob thinks they can beat Belfry now,lol

ok I've heard about all of this I can stand. First of all, I don't understand why you guys have been on here hating on Matewan. No one from Matewan has been on here talking smack. Matewan gave Prestonsburg all they wanted and then some. Are we proud of our boys? You better believe it! Everyone expected Prestonsurg to kill Matewan, but it didn't happen. I'm not even gonna talk about the refs 'cause Prestonsburg knows Matewan got some real bad calls. And as far as Matewan thinking they could beat Belfry, well, I never heard anyone from Matewan say that. You must be the one thinking about it! Good luck to Prestonsburg the rest of the season.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'll start out with this, Matewan is one heck of a football team. They were well coached and they had an incredible game plan defensively that just eat the Blackcat offense alive. Pburg QB, Adam Crisp had a game to forget with I believe 4 or 5 turnovers and 3 being INTs. He recovered late as did the rest of the Blackcats. They finally woke up midway through the 4th quarter after Matewan was just landing punch-after-punch. Matewan led by 15 in the 4th quarter and the the Blackcats made some great plays to tie it up and send it to overtime. From there Pburg took offense first and on the sweep, Jamerson scored from 10-yards out. On I believe 3rd down for Matewan, Pburg freshman, Grant Anderson picked it off in the endzone to seal the deal for the Blackcats.

The Blackcats dearly missed Alex Griffith (MLB/TE) on defense. He's the leader of this team and when things weren't going their way, they really had no body to look too. Jamerson stepped up and probably had his best game of the season, but we didn't see a whole lot out of Bryson Williams tonight, who has put up some big numbers thus far this season. Nathan Slone continues to show that he is capable of making plenty of plays on both sides of the ball and I continue to be more and more impressed with the freshman, Grant Anderson. He's going to be something else when he matures more. My player of the game for the Blackcats just has to be OL/DL, Chris Cook. He opened up a ton of running lanes late in the game and come up with some big stops in the backfield on defense. He's a monster!

#6 for Matewan has to be the most fundamentally sound RBs I've seen this season. He runs low and hard and he gave Pburg fits all night. The cover-2 look Matewan used worked perfect for them the entire game. Their LBs jumped the snap I don't know how many times and got to Crisp and forced a ton of snapping errors between the center and Crisp.

I also want to point out that the officiating was absolutely horrible both ways. I do think that Pburg got a few calls, most noticeably the interference in the first half that wasn't called on the Blackcats. I know their fans and players are leaving with a bitter taste in their mouth and I just want to say that I enjoyed watching their football team and enjoyed the atmosphere their fans brought to the stadium. I'm sure everyone in black & red thought they were going to roll over Matewan, including myself, we were terribly wrong... Matewan has a great team and they shouldn't hang their heads over this outcome, they played a great game!

Blackcat, this was the best game I've seen all year! Prestonsburg is one tough team. Hope you guys win out!
matewan forever Wrote:Blackcat, this was the best game I've seen all year! Prestonsburg is one tough team. Hope you guys win out!

I appreciate the kind words and I hope just the same for you and your Tigers as well.
Matewan could and would beat Belfry this year, no doubt in my mind after watching them tonight.

They are one heck of a football team with tons of energy! Congrats to the Blackcats for a hard fought game tonight and making the plays when it mattered.
Congrats Blackcats. The Matewan Tigers are for real. This Matewan team looked nothing like who P-burg played last year. This team was fundamentally sound. had an outstanding game plan and had player who would not quit. The Tigers played with class. The whole state of West Va. should be proud!
Matewan could and would beat Belfry this year, no doubt in my mind after watching them tonight. NOT, but sounds like you have a nice team this year...
cuppett777 Wrote:Matewan could and would beat Belfry this year, no doubt in my mind after watching them tonight. NOT, but sounds like you have a nice team this year...

serious Cuppett 777, what makes you so sure? We'll never know who would win as they don't play. However, I look forward to some good games when Mingo County consolidates. ;D
Let's keep the thread on-topic fellas.
Good win for the Blackcats.
congrats blackcats !!!!!
Way closer than most thought, including myself. Congrats Pburg.
serious Cuppett 777, what makes you so sure? We'll never know who would win as they don't play. However, I look forward to some good games when Mingo County consolidates. i used to live in matewan, and my step son at the time played for Belfry until this year he decided not to play,they dont play because Matwan usally dont have a team that can compete with them,when is the new school supposed to be ready?i say they will be great games once they do, good luck to the Tigers the rest of the year..
cuppett777 Wrote:serious Cuppett 777, what makes you so sure? We'll never know who would win as they don't play. However, I look forward to some good games when Mingo County consolidates. i used to live in matewan, and my step son at the time played for Belfry until this year he decided not to play,they dont play because Matwan usally dont have a team that can compete with them,when is the new school supposed to be ready?i say they will be great games once they do, good luck to the Tigers the rest of the year..

Cuppett, thing is we aren't talking about how things usually are. we are talking about this year, and like I said who knows who would win? That's why we play the game. The new school is set to be open next year. It will consolidate Matewan, Burch and Williamson. It will probably take them a couple of seasons to get it together, but in time, they should be a pretty good contender. Thanks and good luck to the Pirates as well.
I had wondered what would happen when the Blackcats played a team which dropped extra DB's into coverage. Matewan's coverage scheme did a great job denying P-burg's deeper pass routes.

Very impressed with the travelling Tiger fan base. Good numbers from that distance and into the game.

Excellent high school football game !! I'll look forward to possibly continuing this series vs. what will be Mingo Co. High.

:popcorn:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'll start out with this, Matewan is one heck of a football team. They were well coached and they had an incredible game plan defensively that just eat the Blackcat offense alive. Pburg QB, Adam Crisp had a game to forget with I believe 4 or 5 turnovers and 3 being INTs. He recovered late as did the rest of the Blackcats. They finally woke up midway through the 4th quarter after Matewan was just landing punch-after-punch. Matewan led by 15 in the 4th quarter and the the Blackcats made some great plays to tie it up and send it to overtime. From there Pburg took offense first and on the sweep, Jamerson scored from 10-yards out. On I believe 3rd down for Matewan, Pburg freshman, Grant Anderson picked it off in the endzone to seal the deal for the Blackcats.

Excellent synopsis. Thanks...

The only thing I disagree with is the officiating. It may have been horrible "both ways", but at least it was BOTH ways. The crew we had for the past 2 weeks averaged something like a 7:1 ratio of flags on Pburg. I realize that crew (which shall remain nameless) knows alot of people in Prestonsburg and knows the coaches very well, and suspect that they are trying to seem unbiased. However, when you go SO FAR in the opposite direction to try to "prove" you are unbiased, there is a problem. Watch a replay of the Pikeville game. Good Lord, Pikeville could have been called for holding on EVERY PLAY, it was so obvious. And the officials were so angry at the Pikeville players for holding that they threw flags on Prestonsburg...

Matewan obviously learned a thing or two about the "forward pass" from last year's game. They had scouted well, had a great game plan, executed well, and have a very good team, especially for such a small school.

Prestonsburg squandered many, many scoring opportunities in the first half. 2 of Crisp's int's came off tipped passes as the Cats were nearing the red zone, and Pburg had a TO on downs from the 10 yard line.

I wonder how much of their success this year has to do with the "leave of absence" of coach Yogi Kinder? The "interim" coach (their title, not mine...) may just be a keeper.

The only coaching snafu I think Matewan made was this: Pburg had tied the game at 28 with about 2 minutes or so to go, and on the ensuing KO, pinned Matewan back at their own 10 yard line. On first down, Matewan throws a deep pass that was nearly completed for a huge gain, but was dropped. Here's were the rubber meets the road: On 2nd down, you have to decide how you want this game to end...Matewan decides to attempt another pass, resulting in an incompletion, which AGAIN stops the clock. Now they are facing 3rd and 10 at their own 10 and have only run about 14 seconds off the clock. At this point, they now HAVE to pass, and if when don't get a first down, the clock again stops, forcing them punt after only running about 20 seconds of clock time. Very poor clock management. Their punter had been struggling all night, and even though he got off a nice kick, they gave Prestonsburg the ball on a short field with about a minute and a half and a TO. The Cats drove to the 7, but the game winning FG attempt was wide left. At that point, with their huge O line, the smarter play may have been to try the pass on first down, and if that is incomplete, keep the ball on the ground, run out the clock, and play for OT. 3 pass attempts and giving the ball back like they did should NOT have happened. With the missed FG it became a moot point, but if Prestonsburg had won the game on the FG attempt, that would have been a bitter pill to swallow for the Matewan coaches.

Very exciting game, though. Hard hitting, hard fought, and it is a good thing for Prestonsburg to see that they can come from behind to win. Alex Griffith not dressing was a big, big factor, but he may be back next week for Morgan County. If not, then he will rest through the Morgan County-Bye Week period and come back after that.
It will consolidate Matewan, Burch and Williamson, i thought at one time Gilbert was supposed to be with them?
Great game and super win for the Cats!
cuppett777 Wrote:It will consolidate Matewan, Burch and Williamson, i thought at one time Gilbert was supposed to be with them?

oh yeah, and Gilbert
cuppett777 Wrote:It will consolidate Matewan, Burch and Williamson, i thought at one time Gilbert was supposed to be with them?
Gilbert will be with them. This game was much closer than I thought it would be. Being from Gilbert, I have a hard time giving Matewan a chance in anything. Sorry, it is born in us to hate Matewan..lol. Sounds like it was an exciting game. Mingo Central will be a force in WV AA next year!
After the game I heard someone say the penalty yards was something like 145 against Matewan and 15 on Prestonsburg. Is this true?

If so, it is that is ridiculous.
PatPatterson Wrote:After the game I heard someone say the penalty yards was something like 145 against Matewan and 15 on Prestonsburg. Is this true?

Hmmm...I don't THINK that is accurate. But it DOES sound like last year's game at Matewan, except the totals were reversed...
Gilbert and Matewan being consolidated? What about Tug Valley? Thats going to be some distance between the schools. However it should make for a very good football team. Where will it be located?
I was at this game and it was a great game. Great win for the Cats
PatPatterson Wrote:After the game I heard someone say the penalty yards was something like 145 against Matewan and 15 on Prestonsburg. Is this true?

I don't know about the totals, but I -do- know about 60 yds vs. Matewan were on procedure penalties where a lineman jumped that were easy to spot from the stands. The biggest non-call of the night would have been not flagging the horse-collar put on P-burg's QB which led to Matewan's 2nd INT (if P-burg had ended up losing).

I remember 2 big calls on P-burg off the top of my head (an interference and a holding call), so 15 yds. vs. the Blackcats can't be right.

If the Tigers had tighter discipline on the snap count, IMO just that may have been enough to change the game's outcome.
I haven't posted on here for a long time, but I feel I must. It's amazing to me how people get on here and rip the officials and they have no clue what the rules are. I recently ask some coaches from one of the schools in this region if they knew there was no such thing as 12 men in the huddle. They did not know that. People watch games on Saturday and Sunday and think they know High School rules. It's a free society that we live in so you are able to get on here and say what you want. The truth is 99% of the people that post on here have no idea what the rules are. The pass interfernce call you refer to was a very close call. It was a judgement call that has to be made in a split second. While all the fans in the stands get to watch only the ball, the officals don't have the luxury. They each have responsibilities on each play according to the formation and play. The horse collar call was only put in as a rule a few years ago. Again, most of you have no idea what is takes for a horse collar to be called. Obvisouly it's not going to change your opinion, but I know the officials do the best they can. There are five sets of eyes trying to watch twenty-two players. Do they not see some things. Obsolutely. While there are 4 or 5 hundred sets of eyes in the stands who some how see everything. The best thing for you to do is get your license and try it. Maybe then you won't be on here running your mouth.:blabbermo