Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky is the worst ran state in the country
247wallst.com says Kentucky is the worst ran state in the country.

50th. Kentucky

Debt per Capita: $8,899 (37th)
Unemployment Rate: 10% (38th)
Home Price Change (’06 – ’09): 6.1% (24th)
Median Household Income: $40,072 (41st)

Although Kentucky doesn’t place 50th in any one category, its overall poor scores secures its place as the worst-run state on our list. It is 43rd in GDP per capita, 47th in median household income, 47th in citizens with high school diplomas, and, at 18.6%, is 48th for percentage of the population below the poverty line. Kentucky also has an extremely weak S&P rating of AA-, supporting our assessment that it is the worst-run state in the country.

Read more: The Best and Worst Run States In America: A Survey of All Fifty - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2010/10/04/the-best...z1268iTUTO

Thoughts?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:247wallst.com says Kentucky is the worst ran state in the country.

50th. Kentucky

Debt per Capita: $8,899 (37th)
Unemployment Rate: 10% (38th)
Home Price Change (’06 – ’09): 6.1% (24th)
Median Household Income: $40,072 (41st)

Although Kentucky doesn’t place 50th in any one category, its overall poor scores secures its place as the worst-run state on our list. It is 43rd in GDP per capita, 47th in median household income, 47th in citizens with high school diplomas, and, at 18.6%, is 48th for percentage of the population below the poverty line. Kentucky also has an extremely weak S&P rating of AA-, supporting our assessment that it is the worst-run state in the country.

Read more: The Best and Worst Run States In America: A Survey of All Fifty - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2010/10/04/the-best...z1268iTUTO

Thoughts?
I am only slightly surprised that Kentucky finished in the bottom spot. Of the states in which I have lived, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Mississippi, and Virginia, Kentucky has the most corrupt state government of the lot, IMO.

I cannot tell where Kentucky really places any ethical restraints on its elected officials, so the results should surprise no one. There is no excuse for legislators (mostly attorneys) traveling to Frankfort every two years, writing needlessly complex legislation and then returning home to cash in on that very legislation. Nor is there any excuse for gubernatorial candidates being able to election after election. essentially shake down consulting firms for large campaign donations in exchange for state contracts.

There is no way to factor corruption into the rankings but that is where I would place most of the blame for Kentucky's poor finish. Kentucky is blessed with abundant natural resources and it is very favorably located on the nation's transportation grid. There is no reason for Kentucky not to be among the nation's most prosperous states. No reason except its horrible state government.

If anybody is really shocked by this ranking, then you just have not been paying attention.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am only slightly surprised that Kentucky finished in the bottom spot. Of the states in which I have lived, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Mississippi, and Virginia, Kentucky has the most corrupt state government of the lot, IMO.

I cannot tell where Kentucky really places any ethical restraints on its elected officials, so the results should surprise no one. There is no excuse for legislators (mostly attorneys) traveling to Frankfort every two years, writing needlessly complex legislation and then returning home to cash in on that very legislation. Nor is there any excuse for gubernatorial candidates being able to election after election. essentially shake down consulting firms for large campaign donations in exchange for state contracts.

There is no way to factor corruption into the rankings but that is where I would place most of the blame for Kentucky's poor finish. Kentucky is blessed with abundant natural resources and it is very favorably located on the nation's transportation grid. There is no reason for Kentucky not to be among the nation's most prosperous states. No reason except its horrible state government.

If anybody is really shocked by this ranking, then you just have not been paying attention.

It seems to me that more than likely if your involved in politics, regardless if it's local, state or federal, corruption is not far behind. Like the ole timers say, "they may go in honest, but they will come out crooked" .
The next gubernatorial election you are going to have is Williams vs Beshear. That is like having the Corleones face the Gambinos. It doesn't matter what party, corruption runs wild.
Old School Wrote:It seems to me that more than likely if your involved in politics, regardless if it's local, state or federal, corruption is not far behind. Like the ole timers say, "they may go in honest, but they will come out crooked" .
True. But in Kentucky, you can get filthy rich without breaking any laws or violating any ethics standards. Think about all of the workers' comp lawyers in eastern Kentucky who have served in the legislature and on committees where workers comp legislation was crafted, who have specialized in workers comp cases over the years. As far as I know, those ambulance chasers who became multi-millionaires off of legislation that they wrote themselves broke no conflict of interest standards because there are none to break.

The same goes for Kentucky governors. Unless things have changed since I left the state, politicians running for governor faced no legal or ethical problems accepting huge donations from engineering firms doing business with the state. There may be exceptions to the rule, but the bulk of state business over the years has been "awarded" to consulting firms that helped finance the winning candidate's campaign.

One more thing, before I get off of my soapbox. :biggrin:

Have you ever watched a floor debate in Kentucky's state legislature? It is a good way to learn something about Roberts' Rules of Order but what you will not learn about is any details about the bills that are being debated. The details are ironed out in committee and unless a lobbyist group gives you a head's up on what is at stake, the average citizen is clueless about what is about to be passed.

I understand that using legalese and parliamentary procedure jargon has a long history in Frankfort, but if I can listen to a bill being debated on the US Senate floor and understand the issues without the need of a translator, then I should be able to do the same when Kentucky's legislature is in session. I am always suspicious when a group of attorneys start throwing out legal jargon when clear, concise, and easily understood words will suffice, that somebody is going to receive a whopping bill for their effort.

Kentuckians pay a steep price for their state government and neither party has done us any favors over the years. Has any other state had as many governors who either went to jail or deserved to go to jail in the past few decades?