Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players fear crack down on hits will change essence of football
NEW YORK -- Ray Lewis is worried about what's happening to his sport.

The Baltimore Ravens linebacker, who epitomizes hard hits in the NFL, fears the league is stripping away the inherent violence and "the game will be diluted very quickly."

"My opinion is play the game like that game is supposed to be played, and whatever happens happens," Lewis said Wednesday about the NFL's decision to crack down on dangerous and flagrant hits.

The NFL imposed huge fines on three players -- Pittsburgh's James Harrison, Atlanta's Dunta Robinson and New England's Brandon Meriweather -- for illegal hits last weekend, although none of those plays drew penalties on the field. The league warned that, starting with this week's games, violent conduct will be cause for suspension.

Arizona Cardinals linebacker Joey Porter was clearly perplexed by the decision.

"There's no more hitting hard. That's what our game is about. It's a gladiator sport," Porter said. "I mean, the whole excitement of people getting hit hard, big plays happening, stuff like that.

"Just watch -- the game is going to change."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...f-football
Wow, Come On.
I know they are just trying to make things safer. But, football is all about HUGE hits. And taking those big hits out will take away from the game that we call football.

For me personally cracking down so much on football will make me not watch as much football as I do now.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
This is a joke
The NFL could care less about the players safety! The NFL has for years wanted the game to be more about scoring. More fast paced, like basketball. They honestly think thats what real football fans want for some reason. And now they have their oppurtunity to make the game that way under the guise of fear of players getting hurt. If the NFL actually cared about their players they would take more care of their former players instead of using them up and then letting them rot without any type of insurance or a pension plan that made sense. Matt Millen summed it up best on ESPN the other night: "This is what happens when people who have never played the game start trying to legislate it."
king360 Wrote:This is a joke

:Thumbs: Agreed. I never want to see anyone get hurt, but players like Ray Lewis, Clay Matthews, and James Harrison laying the wood to a player makes football what it is today. I love seeing those hits, I hate arena football and I dont want to see the NFL becoming a league like that.
This is stupid. The stupidest thing I think the NFL has done in a while, and that's saying something with all the dumb **** they pull.

I already have almost stopped watching completely, this will probably do it to me. College football is where it's at. ****, it's getting tougher than the NFL.
This may be one of the most ignorant things the NFL has ever done. This would eventually carry down to high school. Can you imagine an inept group of high school referees trying to make a determination on this. Games would last for six hours and have 500 yards in penalties. This is all stupid, stupid, stupid.
playing devils advocate here, look up ronnie lott on you tube. he could lay the lumber on people but never led with his head. i am not saying there wasnt incidental helmet to helmet contact (which yes could lead to fines under new rules) but 90% of his tackles he leads with his chest. they talked about his style of hitting on the nfl network. i was skeptical myself and looked it up on you tube and they were correct. hard hits can still be made without helmet to helmet contact. the problem is, football is a collision sport and you cant always plan for those collisions.

of the 3 fined hits if you look at the robinson hit on jackson and the merriweather hit on heap you see at the last second the defender changing the position of their head/helmet to hit the other player first. on the harrison play i dont see that i see a hard hit but i dont see him trying to lead with his head i do with the other 2.
^ Oh, by the way, if you have not seen these hits, you can purchase them on NFL.com....

How hypocritical of the NFL that they start fining guys big money for something that they are selling to the fans for a price.
I know the NFL wants more scoring but don't want you to celebrate too much when you do. Now I want you to hit people but not in certain areas. Started with the tom brady rule a couple of years back. I see both sides but C'mon man you gotta let 'em play the football
I heard it was no longer going to be called the NFL. They are looking at changing it to the NPL. Let your imaginations run wild on that one.
I understand helmet-to-helmet hits hurt....
believe me...
they suck lol

but I was always told it wasn't illegal unless you left the ground and made your body a weapon.

Why even fool with changing the rules?
and if you do....how can you do it midseason like they are doing?
BCF4L Wrote:I heard it was no longer going to be called the NFL. They are looking at changing it to the NPL. Let your imaginations run wild on that one.

The National Player's-safety League?
Is that what you meantConfusedhh:
beasy_bo Wrote:I know the NFL wants more scoring but don't want you to celebrate too much when you do. Now I want you to hit people but not in certain areas. Started with the tom brady rule a couple of years back. I see both sides but C'mon man you gotta let 'em play the football

Oh, now you are confusing things. Too much celebration should flat out always be a Penalty (WHEN YOU ARE THE COWBOYS....:biggrinSmile
Celebrating should be encouraged! lol
I think the NFL has seen a lot of hits on purpose and they are wanting to put a stop to that kinda mess.. When it comes to players actually wanting to hurt other players thru 'helmet to helmet' contact then it is a pretty big deal. If a player was hit a certain way in that instance, it could be fatal.
I thought the whole purpose of football was being physical and the electrify hits and speed. I think that it's unfair of the NFL to set this rule because this is going to prevent most players from going all out and going full speed like they normally would! It affects the normal flow of the game!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
BCF4L Wrote:I heard it was no longer going to be called the NFL. They are looking at changing it to the NPL. Let your imaginations run wild on that one.

You got that right brother, and it says like Wussy.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:This may be one of the most ignorant things the NFL has ever done. This would eventually carry down to high school. Can you imagine an inept group of high school referees trying to make a determination on this. Games would last for six hours and have 500 yards in penalties. This is all stupid, stupid, stupid.
:Thumbs:

Ha!
Is it the National Pecker-licking League now? If so, I'm sure the 49ers will be in the Superbowl this year...