Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indoor football team unveils nickname
BARBOURSVILLE -- It seemed appropriate Greg Ramey chose the West Virginia Veterans Home as the place to reveal the name and colors of Huntington's entry in the 16-team American Indoor Football League.
"This is a tribute to you," Ramey said in telling the media and interested onlookers -- namely the service veterans who reside at the home -- the team name is Heroes and colors are red, white and blue. "We honor you. We owe you so much."
It should be noted Huntington's home site is Veterans Memorial Field House. The Heroes will play their home opener on March 11 against the Miami Valley Silverbacks from Troy, Ohio. Game time is 7 p.m.
Ramey, himself a service veterans, spent time talking to the residents before and after Thursday's news conference. The co-owner with Dr. Bill Nichols told them they'll be guests of the Heroes at the home opener.
"I value the service these men and all military service personnel provide this country," Ramey said. "We want to become the team you can call your team. We named it after you."
Shelby Chandler said the logo made a huge impression on him and his fellow residents.
"I liked it," he said while seated in his wheelchair. "It'll be good for Huntington and nice for the vets. It shows we're not a bunch of dumb hillbillies. We've got some intelligence."
Ramey, who played for Huntington's indoor football team in 2001, said the team would have its mascot soon. It's tied to the Heroes theme.
Huntington is in the league's Northern Conference. Each team will play seven home games.
The Heroes have scheduled their second tryout Saturday at the field house. Invited players from the first tryout will report starting with kickers at 9:30 a.m. and other invitees at 11. An open tryout is set for 1 p.m. Players should bring tennis shoes and appropriate clothing. The fee is $50.
kewl. my second fav indoor team next to the Horsemen
cool
Sounds like a good team name........
how many indoor teams are they