Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region
who wins
Clay or Knox.
49th-Clay has to be the favorite after winning the region last year and returning a solid lineup. If I'm not mistaken North brings back a solid lineup with Carson and Company, but I could be wrong.
50th-Corbin has Vorbeck, but don't really know what else they bring back. Also I'm sure South Laurel will be South Laurel and find a way to be successful.
51st- Knox Central has King still who I believe is the best pitcher in the region along with Gilbert and basically everyone back I believe.
52nd-Harlan County brings back one of the most talented teams led by Fields and Boggs, 2 of the region's best in my opinion, this team will still be relatively young, but I believe they are in for a heck of a year. Middlesboro will be good as long as Powell is there and I don't expect that to be different this year. Replacing Ferguson and Pratt on the mound along with replacing Partin at the plate in CF will be a challenge though.
blackbears2010 Wrote:49th-Clay has to be the favorite after winning the region last year and returning a solid lineup. If I'm not mistaken North brings back a solid lineup with Carson and Company, but I could be wrong.
50th-Corbin has Vorbeck, but don't really know what else they bring back. Also I'm sure South Laurel will be South Laurel and find a way to be successful. 51st- Knox Central has King still who I believe is the best pitcher in the region along with Gilbert and basically everyone back I believe.
52nd-Harlan County brings back one of the most talented teams led by Fields and Boggs, 2 of the region's best in my opinion, this team will still be relatively young, but I believe they are in for a heck of a year. Middlesboro will be good as long as Powell is there and I don't expect that to be different this year. Replacing Ferguson and Pratt on the mound along with replacing Partin at the plate in CF will be a challenge though.

Corbin lost their Ace, Catcher and i think 1b to graduation. The RF again i think, moved to like South Carolina or somewhere far off. Also SS Smith idt is playing after what he done in region championship, and a good basketball future ahead.

I look for SL to be down this year. But like you said its SL cant count them out.

KC returns 9 everyday starters from last season. 0 players graduated from last years team.

52nd I agree with what has been said, as well as 49th.
What schools are looking at Knox Central's King?
Clay should be quite a bit better than everybody this year. North and Knox both bring back good teams though. Clay is also supposed to get another player back that will help them tremendously. Clay lost 2 seniors, both were very experienced and very good players, but they have the talent to replace them and not lose much. I'm anxious to see what Hillard does at Knox.
Heard he may have verbally committed to LMU?
Hitters_Count Wrote:Heard he may have verbally committed to LMU?

He did, also remeber the only meeting between the two (Knox and Clay) last year came on a neutral field resulting in a KC vistory 8-1.
I actually made the trip to Mt. Vernon for that one. Clay was down all 3 starters in the outfield, their SS, and Wilson's grandmother had died earlier that day and he was basically a non factor. Do not put much stake in that game. The thing to remember is that Clay walked to Applebee's last year, and return most of their core that have been working hard. They didn't lose a pitcher, lost 1 outfielder and 1 infielder. Picked up a high level outfielder and an even better bat to go in the middle of the line up. Knox is going to have a great team, but one pitcher is not going to lead them to a championship. If Wilson throws this year King will not be the best pitcher in the region, I also heard some people talking Saturday at the basketball games at The Arena saying he had picked up an offer from UK earlier in the week, but that's just hearsay. I think as a whole North will be better than Knox. Carson, Allen, Storm, Eversole, and Brooks are all high level players. I like them a lot.
It's definitely Clay's to lose. I'm not sure if there is a pitcher in the region who can slow their bats down enough. Possibly King of KC or Boggs of Harlan County. But either way I believe it will take a healthy amount of runs to beat Clay especially in tournament play. Does Clay have a lot of pitching outside of Wilson? And I haven't seen Vorbeck of Corbin throw thus not putting him along side of Boggs and King. Where does he stack up among the region's pitchers? I dang sure know he can hit!
My top tier of teams would have to be this.
1. Clay
2a. Harlan County
2b. Knox Central
2c. North Laurel
3. Middlesboro

I honestly believe this will be the class of the region this year, time will tell. Should be pretty competitive in my opinion with Clay being the unanimous favorite.
Clay has McDaniel and Griffin. McDaniel is probably the best pitcher as far as working the zone and throwing everything for a strike. Griffin throws pretty hard, low 80's with plus off speed stuff. He gets a lot of strike outs. The kid to look out for is Justin Smith, the coach's brother. He has worked hard and has real good stuff from a lefty. Lot of break on every pitch and has picked up quite about of speed on his fastball. I could see him hitting 80 this year with really really good stuff. They also have Allen. He won 7 games last year I think. They are deep on the hill.
Hit and Run Wrote:I actually made the trip to Mt. Vernon for that one. Clay was down all 3 starters in the outfield, their SS, and Wilson's grandmother had died earlier that day and he was basically a non factor. Do not put much stake in that game. The thing to remember is that Clay walked to Applebee's last year, and return most of their core that have been working hard. They didn't lose a pitcher, lost 1 outfielder and 1 infielder. Picked up a high level outfielder and an even better bat to go in the middle of the line up. Knox is going to have a great team, but one pitcher is not going to lead them to a championship. If Wilson throws this year King will not be the best pitcher in the region, I also heard some people talking Saturday at the basketball games at The Arena saying he had picked up an offer from UK earlier in the week, but that's just hearsay. I think as a whole North will be better than Knox. Carson, Allen, Storm, Eversole, and Brooks are all high level players. I like them a lot.

One of those outfielder started the game and was ejected, so I wouldnt consider him down in the outfield because he played. Also Knox had a starting outfield whom the Clay game was his first game back from an injury he suffered opening day. Yes if Clay had everyone full go the outcome could have been different, but Knox still had just as good of a chance of winning it as they did if they did have everyone. As far as pitching for Knox, Bailey has a year under his belt and I believe will do great on the bump this year. And just ask Rob what he thinks of Gilbert on the mound, just need to develop a solid backup catcher for him. As you posted in your other post about McDaniel, he did pitch that game and gave up i beileve all 8 earned runs. Could be wrong, dont bite me if im not.
SeKyCatFan Wrote:It's definitely Clay's to lose. I'm not sure if there is a pitcher in the region who can slow their bats down enough. Possibly King of KC or Boggs of Harlan County. But either way I believe it will take a healthy amount of runs to beat Clay especially in tournament play. Does Clay have a lot of pitching outside of Wilson? And I haven't seen Vorbeck of Corbin throw thus not putting him along side of Boggs and King. Where does he stack up among the region's pitchers? I dang sure know he can hit!

Ive never seen Vorbeck in person so everything i post about his mound skills is all hear say. Hard flat fastball, not much in the off speed catagory. Again THIS IS ALL HEARSAY.
you're right about mcdaniel throwing that game, but it was the 3rd game he had pitched since he was in the 8th grade. Add to it that he hadn't thrown in 2 weeks because of some high level national golf tournaments, he signed with UK by the way. With King on the hill Knox will be tough to beat, but with Clay having Wilson, Griffin, Gilbert, and Hensley in the middle of that line up somebody is going to have their work cut out for them. You must remember to win the region you have to beat 3 quality oppenents in 3 or 4 days. Especially for Central because they are automatically away from Barbourville. To win a regional tournament you need atleast 4 very good pitchers, if not 5. Clay's record won't be impressive because of the schedule they're playing, but Smith will have them where the need to be come May, I can promise you that. There is probably not a better young coach in the state right now.
Hit and Run Wrote:you're right about mcdaniel throwing that game, but it was the 3rd game he had pitched since he was in the 8th grade. Add to it that he hadn't thrown in 2 weeks because of some high level national golf tournaments, he signed with UK by the way. With King on the hill Knox will be tough to beat, but with Clay having Wilson, Griffin, Gilbert, and Hensley in the middle of that line up somebody is going to have their work cut out for them. You must remember to win the region you have to beat 3 quality oppenents in 3 or 4 days. Especially for Central because they are automatically away from Barbourville. To win a regional tournament you need atleast 4 very good pitchers, if not 5. Clay's record won't be impressive because of the schedule they're playing, but Smith will have them where the need to be come May, I can promise you that. There is probably not a better young coach in the state right now.

Unless all of the teams stick it out in the 49th and they have to do a draw for that district and Clay draws NL. Which seems to always happen if all 5 schools can field a team all season. Bailey like McDaniel hadnt pitched since 8th grade and will be top notch pitcher this year after a year under his belt. Also McDaniel signing with UK for golf, is he for sure playing?
yeah. that was the kicker in his decision. marshall and u of l offered but wanted him to give it up, coach craig at uk told him to play. If I'm not mistaken the district is seeded once again in the 49th as it was last year. I'm pretty sure both Red Bird and OBI have said that they were out for two years. 3 team districts must be seeded across the state. I've not took a shot at Central yet. I'm anxious to see how they are. I think they have a great team, but I don't think they are in the same class as Clay. I think Clay is head and shoulders above the rest of the 13th and the 14th. Lawrence has probably got the edge in the mountains as a whole.
KNOX has better pitching than Clay I don't even think it is close. The Big question will be can KNOX hit consistenly enough there bats can go cold. The winner of the 13th will be the team that can hit and manufacture runs not who has the best pitching. Just look at past tounaments the scores are not 3-2 or 1-2 they are 10-8 or 12-9.
I agree to disagree on the pitching. Knox is better at the top with King IF Wilson doesn't pitch. McDaniel and Gilbert, I think the edge goes to McDaniel. He shut out GRC to end the season last year, then shut North out in the district, and gave up 1 run to Middlesboro in 5 inning. Griffin has the potential to be the best pitcher on Clay's staff if he is consistent this year. Clay has 5 very good pitcher, Knox has 2 very good pitchers and 1 good pitcher. North could have the best staff in the region with Allen, Brooks, Shears, and Carson. Those are 4 very good pitchers. The kicker will be Clay's schedule. The games with Danville, Somerset, Lafayette, Tates Creek, GRC, West Jessamine, and Boyle will pay off at the end of May.
Also, how will Knox deal with pressure? King gave up a mammoth homer at region last year. I think the game was tied when he came in. When the pressure got high last year Clay rose to the top. Knox folded.
Hit and Run Wrote:Also, how will Knox deal with pressure? King gave up a mammoth homer at region last year. I think the game was tied when he came in. When the pressure got high last year Clay rose to the top. Knox folded.

That home run was to a kid who is now playing for a top 25 team in D1 baseball.
That ball Smith hit off King was a straight up BOMB!!!!!!

Still believe King is the region's #1 pitcher. However to beat Clay you are gonna have to put up a healthy amount of runs no matter who you throw. And Clay has solid pitching too so I do believe dethroning Clay this year is a tall task.
I understand Smith went D1, but I watched the Clay-North district game and McDaniel held Smith hitless with 2 k's. King let his nerves get to him and he make a mistake. The nerves don't hit the Clay kids. They have always stepped up under pressure.
Step up under pressure?!? Never don't hit?!? I don't think so. Clay totally choked against Harrison Co not being able to push even one run across the plate and they also choked in the field! What about Corbin the year before opening round of the region? Nerves got to them when they fell apart and gave up like 15 or 16 runs in that game.
I wasn't talking about at the state tournament. I understand that Clay felt the nerves at the state tournament, but who wouldn't. Harrison felt them twice before they ever got over the hump. If I'm not mistaken they got run ruled the year before in the first round. The loss to Corbin in the region was a huge learning experience for these kids. They were freshmen and sophomores at the time. That was the best thing that could have happened to them. They realized what it was like blow it and they do not want that feeling again. Last year's regional tournament being a prime example of how far they have came. Being down big to Middlesboro in the semi's then coming all the way back to really put a beating on them. Then come out the next night and beat a good Corbin team with a kid that had pitched very little all year. I'll also add that Corbin had their ace on the hill. Clay has learned how to overcome the pressure. These kids have really grown up in the last 4 years. Watching them as 8th graders and freshmen and now seeing where they have came is amazing. Their demeanor has completely changed on the field. They feel that no game is ever out of reach. They have a confidence that it takes awhile to get.
Hit and Run Wrote:I understand Smith went D1, but I watched the Clay-North district game and McDaniel held Smith hitless with 2 k's. King let his nerves get to him and he make a mistake. The nerves don't hit the Clay kids. They have always stepped up under pressure.

Kinda like King done the entire Clay lineup until about the 5th or 6th.
someone saying that Clay has the best young coach in the state. Wow. Pretty bold. I know a several that are better any day of the week. Travis at Lawrence Co. Varney at Powel. Not going to even start listing Central Ky coaches.
clay
Smith got a regional title under his belt before his 25 years old. That's a pretty good accomplishment. I agree there are many great young coaches around, but I feel that Smith does an excellent job and I'd put him up there with anybody in the state. As it was stated earlier in the thread Clay was down 4 players, and 1 was completely out of his game because of serious family issues. Clay started 4 kids that day that never played any other varsity besides that game. I like King as a pitcher. I think he is terrific, but you can't hang your hat on a mid season weekend game when one team is clearly short handed. Don't think I'm knocking King because I'm not, he is as good as you'll find on the hill, and he is a great competitor. I love his mentality out there, and he'll have a wonderful career at my alma mater. Good pick up for the Splitters! I just feel that you can really tell what a team is made out of when the pressure is on, and Clay proved what they type of team they have last year in the region, while Knox bowed out early. I do think Knox will be much better with Hillard than Vanover, but if I were ranking the teams as of right now I'd have Clay as a strong #1, followed by North, then Knox close behind, then you have Corbin quite a bit below them. Corbin could be a sleeper if the bats are hot, but I think the loss of Hoover is huge. He was one of their most productive players last year.
clay co. toughest game to state was with jackson co. in opening of district clay won 4-1 but close well pitched game by duncan.hardest challenge clay had till state so dont count jackson co. out they return everyone and pick up transfer from arkansaa and really good freshman