Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky's favorable schedule
Ballers Wrote:Because of their weak conference?

Ballers....
I like to argue with you...
but I can't on that one lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Ballers....
I like to argue with you...
but I can't on that one lol

:blabbermoTongueirateSho
I personally don't think Gonzaga has the toughest schedule. I would say the ACC teams have the toughest schedules for this year.
^Me and ESPN agree Wink
Why would Gonzaga have the toughest schedule?
^The non-conference games.
They load up at the first of the year.

Kansas State
^if they win that they play #1 Duke
Illinois
Baylor
Memphis
Notre Dame
Xavier
Oklahoma State
Wake Forest
I agree with Deathstar..
Whether or not they rank it #1 I have to disagree..
It's not good to say that Gonzaga has the strongest schedule just because ESPN said so. As Glen Beck says, "Question with boldness." :biggrin:

I'm not saying Gonzaga isn't a good team. I know they're a great team. It's just that I personally don't think they have the toughest schedule in the nation.
^To be honest I just made the statement that Gonzaga's schedule was tougher that UK's.
I think most of us can agree on that one.
However, if Gonzaga comes out of their non-conference schedule with a good record....
be prepared to see them at the top of the RPI polls when all is said and done.
BCF4L Wrote:This is from ESPN, no more than 2 minutes ago in regards to strength of schedule (Gonzaga checked in at #1)...

Stardust Wrote:I guess zaga was right!

zaga_fan Wrote:Looks like someone was ringing the cowbell a little too hard Wink

Actually, I just checked ESPN, and what BCF4L was looking at was their ranking of nonconference schedules. And yes, for that, Gonzaga was #1 and UK was #5. But that's not what I referred to in my post, I was talking about overall schedule.

Once again, I suggest looking at each team's schedule and comparing the two. I still say that if anyone takes Kentucky's entire schedule and lines it up side-by-side with Gonzaga's, UK has the edge.

The problem is not the nonconference games. I freely admit that the Zags scheduled the toughest out-of-conference sked in the country. The problem is within the conference, as the WCC looks to be very weak this year. Since almost everyone expects St. Mary's to take a big step backward, it leaves Gonzaga as the lone strong team in the WCC. And aside from a couple decent teams, most of the league is filled with patsies.

Again, be objective and look at some of the tough games each team has this year:

UK = North Carolina, Notre Dame, Louisville, Florida (x2), Tennessee (x2), Georgia (x2), Vanderbilt (x2), Mississippi St., Ole Miss; likely game w/ Washington, poss. game w/ Michigan St.

Gonzaga = Kansas St., San Diego St., Illinois, Notre Dame, Baylor, Xavier, Oklahoma St., Wake Forest, Memphis, poss. game w/ Duke

The SEC games give UK the edge.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Deathstar 80 Wrote:It's not good to say that Gonzaga has the strongest schedule just because ESPN said so. As Glen Beck says, "Question with boldness." :biggrin:

I'm not saying Gonzaga isn't a good team. I know they're a great team. It's just that I personally don't think they have the toughest schedule in the nation.

ESPN didn't actually say Gonzaga had the toughest schedule. It only said they had the toughest nonconference schedule. Which they do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:UK = North Carolina, Notre Dame, Louisville, Florida (x2), Tennessee (x2), Georgia (x2), Vanderbilt (x2), Mississippi St., Ole Miss; likely game w/ Washington, poss. game w/ Michigan St.
You've listed 6 SEC games with teams that are mid-level contenders in one of the weakest, if not the weakest, of the major conferences in NCAA basketball.
zaga_fan Wrote:You've listed 6 SEC games with teams that are mid-level contenders in one of the weakest, if not the weakest, of the major conferences in NCAA basketball.

Since we're using ESPN rankings on here, the Worldwide Leader has the SEC listed as the #3 conference this year. So, not even close to being the weakest of the "Big 6" major conferences. :biggrin:

As for the individual teams, Georgia is ranked #27 on ESPN's preseason rankings, ahead of several of the teams I had listed for Gonzaga (Xavier, Wake Forest, Oklahoma State). The Bulldogs have even been picked by some media outlets to win the SEC East this year. As for Mississippi State, they are almost a unanimous choice to win the SEC West. And again, this is the third best conference in the land we're talking about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^That's where my and ESPN's views don't match up.
I don't see the SEC as the 3rd best.
IMO Xavier, Wake Forest, and OK State would handle the Bulldogs with no problem, no matter what anyone ranks them.
As for Mississippi State, I see it as no honor to win the SEC West Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:^That's where my and ESPN's views don't match up.
IMO Xavier, Wake Forest, and OK State would handle the Bulldogs with no problem, no matter what anyone ranks them.

Come on Zaga, Miss St would beat everyone in the WAC including Gonzaga.
MVP2 Wrote:Come on Zaga, Miss St would beat everyone in the WAC including Gonzaga.

It's the WCC not the WAC lol
And I believe the Zags would KILL Miss State haha
I just think the majority of the SEC is overrated lol
That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it :biggrin:
I knew that, West Coast Conference, not sure why I put WAC.However, I think Gonzaga would struggle with all the teams in the east division of the SEC, expect for maybe South Carolina. I think the Zags could possibly beat everyone in the West except Miss St.
MVP2 Wrote:I knew that, West Coast Conference, not sure why I put WAC.However, I think Gonzaga would struggle with all the teams in the east division of the SEC, expect for maybe South Carolina. I think the Zags could possibly beat everyone in the West except Miss St.

Welp...
I think Gonzaga could beat UK Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:^That's where my and ESPN's views don't match up.

I think you underestimate Georgia way too much. They return a player many consider the favorite to win SEC Player of the Year in Trey Thompkins (18 ppg, 8 rpg) as well as another star in Travis Leslie (15 ppg, 7 rpg). Georgia also has a couple of impact newcomers this year. Trust me, I'm plenty worried about both times UK has to play the Bulldogs this year. I feel the opposite of you, IMO they would handle Xavier and Wake Forest with ease, and would be a slight favorite over OK State.

As for Mississippi St, they have been underrated this year in my book. They played UK close twice last year, and although they lost Jarvis Varnado, they return a very strong team. MSU will probably lose a few early as 2 of their best players have to sit out several games each (Renardo Sidney 9 games, Dee Bost 15+), but when the entire team is back together, they will be a Top-40 caliber squad. Incidentally, all players will be back by the time UK plays them in mid-February.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^I wish every team in the NCAA all the luck in the world(except for UNC).
I just think the SEC as a whole is over rated.
I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong about a lot of things by the end of the season.
I just call it as I see it.
Good luck to all the SEC teams!!!
unless you're playing Gonzaga!
MVP2 Wrote:Miss St would beat everyone in the WCC including Gonzaga.

MVP2 Wrote:I think Gonzaga would struggle with all the teams in the east division of the SEC, expect for maybe South Carolina. I think the Zags could possibly beat everyone in the West except Miss St.

Disagree here, you sell Gonzaga a bit short. Against the SEC East, they are probably on par with teams like UK, Florida, and Tennessee, and a notch ahead of Georgia. They would be favored over Vandy, and would beat South Carolina handily.

As for the West, I think Gonzaga is favored over Miss. State and Ole Miss, and beat all the other teams handily.

zaga_fan Wrote:And I believe the Zags would KILL Miss State haha

zaga_fan Wrote:Welp...
I think Gonzaga could beat UK Wink

Now, I do think Gonzaga would be favored over Miss. State, but they wouldn't kill them by any stretch. I will say that if they played MSU early in the season when they are missing 2 of their top 3 players, it would be a larger margin, but after they return it would be a good game.

And yes, Gonzaga could beat UK, but I think the Cats are a slight favorite on a neutral court. :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'd also like everyone to know that Gonzaga has 2 players on the pre-season top 50 list Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:^I wish every team in the NCAA all the luck in the world(except for UNC).
I just think the SEC as a whole is over rated.
I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong about a lot of things by the end of the season.
I just call it as I see it.
Good luck to all the SEC teams!!!
unless you're playing Gonzaga!

I completely agree.
The last few years the conference has been awful.
Florida and Miss St come into every season with big expectations and those plans never pan out.
Tennessee is one of those teams that can beat anybody but also can be beat by anybody. This year they'll be down and won't be able to compete with the top teams.
The SEC West is just plain bad. Worst division among the major 6 conferences.
I do think Georgia will be greatly improved and a threat to win the SEC but imo there still not as good as Gonzaga.
IMO Gonzaga would beat every team in the conference besides UK.
I would give anything for UK and Gonzaga to be in the same bracket.
But because of it being East Coast vs West Coast we could only hope for a Championship game Sad
Aslan Wrote:I completely agree.
The last few years the conference has been awful.
Florida and Miss St come into every season with big expectations and those plans never pan out.
Tennessee is one of those teams that can beat anybody but also can be beat by anybody. This year they'll be down and won't be able to compete with the top teams.
The SEC West is just plain bad. Worst division among the major 6 conferences.
I do think Georgia will be greatly improved and a threat to win the SEC but imo there still not as good as Gonzaga.
IMO Gonzaga would beat every team in the conference besides UK.

Vandy? :please:
You just said you think Georgia would win the SEC Championship.. That last statement really makes no sense man..
Ballers Wrote:Vandy? :please:
You just said you think Georgia would win the SEC Championship.. That last statement really makes no sense man..

Vandy is solid but I think GA is going to be much better this year.