6A/1: Ron Barnard, Marshall Co.
6A/2: Crad Jaggers, North Hardin
6A/3: Jason Hiser, PRP
6A/4: Chris Wolfe, Male
6A/5: Bob Beatty, Trinity
6A/6: Bryson Warner, Ryle
6A/7: Carl Hayden, Lafayette
6A/8: Sam Simpson, Henry Clay
Congrats to Erik Manning and Zach Eastham on DPOY!
Congrats to Jordan Calton of Harlan Co.!!! :Thumbs:
Congrats to Cory Davenport of Bell Co!!
Congrats to BGR's own Avery Ray
How were the district coaches of the year determined? By pulling names out of a hat?

IMO, a LOT of them don't make very much sense.
Congrats to all players/coaches.
Gitback Coach Wrote:How were the district coaches of the year determined? By pulling names out of a hat?

IMO, a LOT of them don't make very much sense.

I couldn't figure some of those out either. For example, 3A District 5, Shawn Thompson was coach of the year. I understand that Somerset was supposed to win the district and, in all likelyhood be a lot better than the other district teams so I understand Robbie Lucas not being named COY. The argument can be made that the Briar Jumpers simply fulfilled expectations. What I don't see is how Andy Stephens of Casey County wasn't named COY if Lucas wasn't. He led Casey County to the #2 seed in the playoffs and their first ever home playoff game and first ever playoff win. Thompson is a good coach but the Cardinals finished with a losing record and came in 4th in a weak district. That was far from the only one, but that district is the one I'm most familiar with.
congrats to all chosen
Jim Matney coached Johnson Central to its fifth straight district title and the COY goes to the coach of the third place team, which was expected to give the Golden Eagles a run for their money this season. That one is a real head scratcher. I could have understood Montgomery's coach winning for leading his team to a second place finish, which was a little better than expected, but Ashland had a disappointing season and faded badly at the end of the season.
Congrats Jordan Calton of Harlan County!!! Very proud of him!
Is the total district teams out yet? where can you find them?
Congrats to the players and coaches, i dont agree with alot of them but eh what can ya do?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Is the total district teams out yet? where can you find them?

Those generally don't come out until early December.
Norm Peterson Wrote:I couldn't figure some of those out either. For example, 3A District 5, Shawn Thompson was coach of the year. I understand that Somerset was supposed to win the district and, in all likelyhood be a lot better than the other district teams so I understand Robbie Lucas not being named COY. The argument can be made that the Briar Jumpers simply fulfilled expectations. What I don't see is how Andy Stephens of Casey County wasn't named COY if Lucas wasn't. He led Casey County to the #2 seed in the playoffs and their first ever home playoff game and first ever playoff win. Thompson is a good coach but the Cardinals finished with a losing record and came in 4th in a weak district. That was far from the only one, but that district is the one I'm most familiar with.

Exactly what I was thinking. Crazy that Stephens didn't win it.:please:

Maybe they do draw out of a hat or it is who you know. How does Hines not win 5A Dist 7? No knock on Dale but to begin and end the season getting beat a combined 100-0 and SW only beat one quality opponent 2A Danville.

Pulaski is defending region champs undefeated against other 5A teams ty and in position to win another region title. Of course coaches vote on this and I'd guess there is no way Hines wins a popularity contest against Anderson.
How did Reed Fields win the district 2A-7 coach of the year??

Bath Co. finished in 4th place(last ) in the district and only won 3 games the whole season? lol.
Congratulations to Coach Mark Dixon and Jon Combs from Hazard!!
The coaches vote on these and they are voted on wat too early in the season. I think I heard week 5 or 6 they ahd to vote on.
Warner from Ryle got it for one game and one game only - beating Highlands
Awesome job Jordan Calton!
I agree and player of the year the same thing. The Parrish kid from glasgow only played in ONE district game and recieved player of the year.
How does Corey Lyle lead the state in regular season Rushing and not get player of the year in his district?
Someone asked how are these chosen, the simple answer would be BUDDY SYSTEM.

The district Coaches vote on the coach of the year and POY. However has the most buddies or fewest enemies typically win Coach of the year!!! It is not right but that is the system.

It amazes me that a) Dudley Hilton is not COY in his district and b)Larry French of Boyle is not COY in his district. Simply amazing.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Someone asked how are these chosen, the simple answer would be BUDDY SYSTEM.

The district Coaches vote on the coach of the year and POY. However has the most buddies or fewest enemies typically win Coach of the year!!! It is not right but that is the system.

It amazes me that a) Dudley Hilton is not COY in his district and b)Larry French of Boyle is not COY in his district. Simply amazing.

You are 100% correct. Plus it makes it look like the "district" doesn't know anything about football. It makes the district look bad! But the ones who know football know who the real COY's are. No doubt about that! TongueirateSho
Stardust Wrote:Warner from Ryle got it for one game and one game only - beating Highlands

They had not even played this game when the voting occurred.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Someone asked how are these chosen, the simple answer would be BUDDY SYSTEM.

It wasn't outlandish that either Wayne Mills or Mike Bowlin got COY, they both exceeded their expectiations and have had great years with less than stellar athletes. I see your point though, but those two districts selected fine coaches for the award neverless.
Kosar Wrote:How does Corey Lyle lead the state in regular season Rushing and not get player of the year in his district?

Best stats does not always mean they are the best player.
Jarons Wrote:Best stats does not always mean they are the best player.
Not taking anything away from Cross, but when a kid rushes for 2000+ i dont see him not getting poy in dang near any district he is in.
Congrats to Randy Maynard and Chris McNamee from Pikeville for winning the awards. Randy is just a junior so we can't wait to see what the future holds for this extremely talented young man. Good job men!
Stardust Wrote:Warner from Ryle got it for one game and one game only - beating Highlands

He deserved it. I think the state coach of the year should be between him and Warren Centrals Rogers. Both deserve it but I'll go with Rogers at WC. He has resurrected the Dragons program in 2 short years to become one of the states best programs.