Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP blocks School Nutrition Bill.
I have a few questions for the supporters of this bill. Will an existing federal agency such as the Dept. of Education be monitoring schools for compliance or will this be the job of a new federal agency or Obamaczar?

1. Who will be enforcing the law?

2. What will the penalties be for people who break the law. For example, what consequences can a 17-year old high school junior caught peddling Twinkies on school grounds for gas money expect?

3. Is the law broad enough to prohibit the sale of chocolate bars and other snacks as an extracurricular fundraiser?

4. The students of some schools - for example, Paintsville High School - are allowed to leave school premises to eat lunch at home or in nearby restaurants (or at least that used to be the case). Will such students now be forced to eat in the school cafeteria?

5. Will there be a penalty for businesses located near public schools who sell unapproved food to students during regular school hours? Will these businesses be required to ask for IDs before serving customers who might be students? If so, who will have primary enforcement responsibility and what federal agency will monitor compliance?

6. What impact on our legal system will this new federal law have? With tens of thousands of schools in this country, it seems like the potential cost of enforcement and civil litigation is pretty high. Is this an appropriate burden to place on our already overtaxed federal court system?
Old School Wrote:I realize the kids need nutritious meals and any meal would help, but I have my doubts that this would help the obesity rate. Unless parents get onboard with eating healthy meals, the vast majority would still allow their kids to eat whatever they want.
:Thumbs: I agree and I also think that schools are being scapegoated in this case.

I have three close relatives who used to work in the cafeterias of two Johnson County Schools. I know that Johnson County schools have taken extra steps to offer students healthy meals. For example, when the cooks prepared chili, they placed the fatty hamburger in a water bath, heated it and skimmed the excess fat from the surface of the water before adding other ingredients.

I know that not all schools take such precautions but politicians are singling out schools for causing childhood obesity because blaming parents would cost them votes and not allow them to expand the size of the federal government further.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have a few questions for the supporters of this bill. Will an existing federal agency such as the Dept. of Education be monitoring schools for compliance or will this be the job of a new federal agency or Obamaczar?

2. What will the penalties be for people who break the law. For example, what consequences can a 17-year old high school junior caught peddling Twinkies on school grounds for gas money expect?

3. Is the law broad enough to prohibit the sale of chocolate bars and other snacks as an extracurricular fundraiser?

4. The students of some schools - for example, Paintsville High School - are allowed to leave school premises to eat lunch at home or in nearby restaurants (or at least that used to be the case). Will such students now be forced to eat in the school cafeteria?

5. Will there be a penalty for businesses located near public schools who sell unapproved food to students during regular school hours? Will these businesses be required to ask for IDs before serving customers who might be students? If so, who will have primary enforcement responsibility and what federal agency will monitor compliance?

6. What impact on our legal system will this new federal law have? With tens of thousands of schools in this country, it seems like the potential cost of enforcement and civil litigation is pretty high. Is this an appropriate burden to place on our already overtaxed federal court system?
This only pertains to the bolded part of your post, and nothing to do with the bill. Paintsville will have a closed lunch as of nest year, when the cafeteria opens. Maybe the seniors get to remain an open lunch, not sure about them though.
TheRealVille Wrote:This only pertains to the bolded part of your post, and nothing to do with the bill. Paintsville will have a closed lunch as of nest year, when the cafeteria opens. Maybe the seniors get to remain an open lunch, not sure about them though.
That's too bad. Eating lunches out and playing pinball at Malcom's or Bill Perk's (not sure if either is still in business) was a Tiger tradition - and one worth preserving, IMO. In my younger days, all students in grades 7 through 12 had the option of eating out at Paintsville and the cafeteria food was such that most of my friends and I exercised that option.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:That's too bad. Eating lunches out and playing pinball at Malcom's or Bill Perk's (not sure if either is still in business) was a Tiger tradition - and one worth preserving, IMO. In my younger days, all students in grades 7 through 12 had the option of eating out at Paintsville and the cafeteria food was such that most of my friends and I exercised that option.

Unfortunately Hoot, both proprietors have passed on and their establishments are now only footnotes in Paintsville history.
TheRealVille Wrote:I have never sent a PM threatening anyone. I have only sent PM's to people that threatened me, and gave them my address.
After a little talk with a very wise young man on the board, I don't pay attention to morons anymore. I have fun with them.
Threatened you?? I think you mean, may have disagreed with you. My, my, my, I think what we have here is case of total memory meltdown. Well it's like this, I'm quite positive that there have been more than one that you have, well let's just call it "propositioned".
Bob Seger Wrote:Unfortunately Hoot, both proprietors have passed on and their establishments are now only footnotes in Paintsville history.
I thought that was probably the case. If Bill Perk were still alive he would probably be well over 100 years old. :biggrin: I hadn't noticed what had taken their place. If I recall correctly, one of my 6th grade teachers was Malcom's daughter, who was a first year teacher.
TheRealVille Wrote:I have never sent a PM threatening anyone. I have only sent PM's to people that threatened me, and gave them my address.
After a little talk with a very wise young man on the board, I don't pay attention to morons anymore. I have fun with them.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I thought that was probably the case. If Bill Perk were still alive he would probably be well over 100 years old. :biggrin: I hadn't noticed what had taken their place. If I recall correctly, one of my 6th grade teachers was Malcom's daughter, who was a first year teacher.

Bill Perks is now "The Cafe on Main". You did know that the swinging bridge is named in his honor?
Bob Seger Wrote:Bill Perks is now "The Cafe on Main". You did know that the swinging bridge is named in his honor?
I had forgotten until you just reminded me. Under this new law, Bill Perk would might have ended up on the FBI's most wanted list for selling his hot dogs and greasy crinkle-cut fries to so many school children for such a reasonable price.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I had forgotten until you just reminded me. Under this new law, Bill Perk would might have ended up on the FBI's most wanted list for selling his hot dogs and greasy crinkle-cut fries to so many school children for such a reasonable price.
Paintsville lost a good block, when the block that Jimbo's was on burnt. That "Mary's" coleslaw on a hotdog was great. Good food and a good place to buy music, next door.
TheRealVille Wrote:Paintsville lost a good block, when the block that Jimbo's was on burnt. That "Mary's" coleslaw on a hotdog was great. Good food and a good place to buy music, next door.
All this talk about hot dogs has me craving one. If i didn't hate driving in DC traffic so much, I might have already headed for the place shown below, which reminds me of the Paintsville DQ. :biggrin:

[Image: http://www.roadfood.com/photos/14749.jpg]
TheRealVille Wrote:Paintsville lost a good block, when the block that Jimbo's was on burnt. That "Mary's" coleslaw on a hotdog was great. Good food and a good place to buy music, next door.

Even if the building had not have burnt, I suspect that with the addition of a WalMart Super Center combined with the extinction of vinyl LP's,8 tracks, and cassettes, that they would not have been able to survive.

Trying to think of the name of that place. Do you remember?
Bob Seger Wrote:Even if the building had not have burnt, I suspect that with the addition of a WalMart Super Center combined with the extinction of vinyl LP's,8 tracks, and cassettes, that they would not have been able to survive.

Wasn't there a store called the "Arrival" that sold music supply's.
Bob Seger Wrote:Even if the building had not have burnt, I suspect that with the addition of a WalMart Super Center combined with the extinction of vinyl LP's,8 tracks, and cassettes, that they would not have been able to survive.

No, I can't remember. Yes, I would say you are right there, Walmart has just about killed "mainstreet" America. iTunes doesn't help the "in person" music sales either.
Old School Wrote:Wasn't there a store called the "Arrival" that sold music supply's.

Yeah, that's it!!

You must be a really old guy.:biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:Yeah, that's it!!

You must be a really old guy.:biggrin:

Yeah, I am. Funny thing I can remember that, but can't remember where I left my car keys. Go figure.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have a few questions for the supporters of this bill. Will an existing federal agency such as the Dept. of Education be monitoring schools for compliance or will this be the job of a new federal agency or Obamaczar?

The law will not need enforcing. It will change the standards and specks on foods purchased. This will fall on the purchasing agent at the school and a food broker and sales rep from the distributor. It will not allow you to sale unhealthy candies early in the day. I am all for that. I hate when they give my son a snickers bar for breakfast and say its to support the football team. Open campuses will remain open. It just requires the school to practice what they preach by provide healthier foods. You are overthinking the bill. There are schools that have adopted these types of food programs all ready. Just not in areas like ours. If you want to pay for your child to go eat hot dogs and hamburgers everyday you will still be able to buy their way into obesity. However agian the school will practice what they preach. There is no legal cost. There are already specks in place for the schools to go by. The specks will just be changed. The purchasing agent and the broker will work out the sales just as always just under different restrictions.
Matman Wrote:The law will not need enforcing. It will change the standards and specks on foods purchased. This will fall on the purchasing agent at the school and a food broker and sales rep from the distributor. It will not allow you to sale unhealthy candies early in the day. I am all for that. I hate when they give my son a snickers bar for breakfast and say its to support the football team. Open campuses will remain open. It just requires the school to practice what they preach by provide healthier foods. You are overthinking the bill. There are schools that have adopted these types of food programs all ready. Just not in areas like ours. If you want to pay for your child to go eat hot dogs and hamburgers everyday you will still be able to buy their way into obesity. However agian the school will practice what they preach. There is no legal cost. There are already specks in place for the schools to go by. The specks will just be changed. The purchasing agent and the broker will work out the sales just as always just under different restrictions.
All laws must be enforced or they are totally pointless. The federal government does not pass laws without creating an enforcement mechanism or blackmailing states to enforce the laws for them by threatening to withhold federal funding.

If there is no enforcement, then this sounds like a great marketing opportunity for some enterprising young high school students. When kids start pushing Snickers bars on high school parking lots to hungry students who are tired of government-approved snacks, somebody will be their to mete out a heavy dose of punishment.

This kind of thinking is the reason kindergarten kids get suspended for pretending their finger is a gun.
Who inforces the standards reguarding school food now? There are standards they have to go by now. This will just change those standards.
Matman Wrote:Who inforces the standards reguarding school food now? There are standards they have to go by now. This will just change those standards.
There are no rules against bake sales and other fundraisers, vending machine sales, or sales of junk food among students. I will guarantee you that if nobody steps in to ensure that schools enjoy a monopoly over food sales, junk food will find its way into the hands of any kid who wants it. So somebody will be deciding an appropriate punishment for kids who decide that they do not like what the federal government has put on their menus.