• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBAPA pushes to end age limit
Benchwarmer Wrote:nah. LOL

You're just taking ballers side for the fun it :blabbermo
You two argue over everything.:igiveup:
Benchwarmer Wrote:You two argue over everything.:igiveup:

Ballers and I agree on everything:HitWall:
zaga_fan Wrote:Ballers and I agree on everything:HitWall:

Just like we agree that Gonzaga is the best NCAA team to ever grace the court. :Thumbs:
Ballers Wrote:Just like we agree that Gonzaga is the best NCAA team to ever grace the court. :Thumbs:

I think we can all agree on this.
The chance the Zags have of going to the Sweet 16 is exponentially greater than the chance Darius Miller being a lottery pick Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:I think we can all agree on this.
The chance the Zags have of going to the Sweet 16 is exponentially greater than the chance Darius Miller being a lottery pick Wink

There is a much greater chance of him playing in the NBA period than Gonzaga being in the tourney period. Wink
Ballers Wrote:There is a much greater chance of him playing in the NBA period than Gonzaga being in the tourney period. Wink

Gonzaga hasn't missed the tourney since 1998.
zaga_fan Wrote:Gonzaga hasn't missed the tourney since 1998.

No matter, no matter.
Things change.
Ballers Wrote:No matter, no matter.
Things change.

They haven't changed in 12 years.
However, it's only been what....
2 years....
since Kentucky got to compete in the NIT(Not Invited Tournament)?
Lord help you two
I think the rule needs to change to one of two options:
1. No age restrictions BUT HIGH SCHOOL DEGREE required. (aka, not just 18 but 18 with a h.s. degree or equivalent)
2. IF enrolled in college must stay two years. The one a done just makes a player go to class for a semester, then the second semester they can do NOTHING, hurt the school, and get drafted. Two years gives the player a shot at a certificate, license, or A.A or A.S. degree. All in turn ensuring that they have at LEAST 1.5 semesters of classes under their belt. Making them better students, athletes and players.
LWC Wrote:I think the rule needs to change to one of two options:
1. No age restrictions BUT HIGH SCHOOL DEGREE required. (aka, not just 18 but 18 with a h.s. degree or equivalent)
2. IF enrolled in college must stay two years. The one a done just makes a player go to class for a semester, then the second semester they can do NOTHING, hurt the school, and get drafted. Two years gives the player a shot at a certificate, license, or A.A or A.S. degree. All in turn ensuring that they have at LEAST 1.5 semesters of classes under their belt. Making them better students, athletes and players.

Why do you have to have a High School Degree? What will your requirements be for International Players? What about a kid like the one who left after his Junior year of HS and went overseas to play pro basketball, should he be required to have a HS degree?
Stardust Wrote:Why do you have to have a High School Degree? What will your requirements be for International Players? What about a kid like the one who left after his Junior year of HS and went overseas to play pro basketball, should he be required to have a HS degree?

I thought that the one-and-done rule only applied to U.S. players? Why would an international player have to attend an American College? Do they currently have to? Players like Brandon Jennings should have to finish high school. Players like Dirk, Peja, etc... that are foreign born and raised, should not have to have US college experience. They can play pro ball when they are like 15 or something can't they?

Nobody likes to hear it but different rules apply to different players. No reason that an international player should have to have a US high school degree, but the US player should. Call me unfair, it is okay.
Also, does anyone know the current rule for International players?
Benchwarmer Wrote:Lord help you two

I will never surrender!!!
LWC Wrote:I thought that the one-and-done rule only applied to U.S. players? Why would an international player have to attend an American College? Do they currently have to? Players like Brandon Jennings should have to finish high school. Players like Dirk, Peja, etc... that are foreign born and raised, should not have to have US college experience. They can play pro ball when they are like 15 or something can't they?

Nobody likes to hear it but different rules apply to different players. No reason that an international player should have to have a US high school degree, but the US player should. Call me unfair, it is okay.

I don't think you can have different rules for different players. The NBA is not tied to American's, and it is not franchised just in the USA. It's a professional league and does not discriminate against an athlete of race or creed, but it does against age????

Why should an 18 year-old from Mexico, Spain, Russia, Antarctica have different rights than an american?

The NBA is based in the USA, but it is not an USA only sport. The logic of saying an american must have a High School diploma to play in the NBA is a form of unfair working rights. Are you saying an American has to have a High School degree to have an other working rights? Can an American without a HS diploma work at McDonalds? If they can, then they should be allowed to work in the NBA. How about American's playing for the Toronto Raptors, a non-USA based team? If McDonalds is a franchise, then your logic would require only employees with a High School diploma be allowed to work in one of the franchises. Since McDonalds is a US based company, but is franchised throughout the world, then in all other countries, those employees would have to have a HS diploma to????

I understand your point, but this is working rights for pay. If 18 year-olds are allowed to play in the NBA, it should not matter where your home is.
LWC Wrote:Also, does anyone know the current rule for International players?

Age requirements for International Players is not defined in the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement

Current Rules

The most recent CBA took effect with the 2005–06 season, and the first draft conducted under its provisions was the 2006 draft. The basic rules are:
All drafted players must be at least 19 years old during the calendar year of the draft.[7] To determine whether a player is eligible for a given year's draft, subtract 19 from the year of the draft. If the player was born during or before that year, he is eligible.

Any player who is not an "international player", as defined in the CBA, must be at least one year removed from the graduation of his high school class.[7]
The "one year out of high school" requirement is in addition to the age requirement.

Players whose 19th birthday falls during or before the calendar year of the draft, are at least one year removed from the graduation of their high school class, and who do not meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:[9]
They have completed 4 years of their college eligibility.

If they graduated from high school in the U.S., but did not enroll in a U.S. college or university, four years have passed since their high school class graduated.

If they did not graduate from high school in the U.S., four years have passed since their high school class graduated.

They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside of the NBA, anywhere in the world, and have played under that contract.
Those who have reached the minimum eligibility age of 19 and meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:
They are least 22 during the calendar year of the draft.[10]
They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside of the NBA within the United States, and have played under that contract.[11]

Definition of "international players"
The CBA defines "international players" for draft purposes as those who meet all of the following criteria:[16]
Permanently resident outside the U.S. for at least three years before the draft while playing basketball outside the U.S.
Have never enrolled in a U.S. college or university.
Did not complete high school in the U.S.
Note that this definition is very different from what the NBA uses in listing "international players" on its team rosters. For that purpose, the league defines an "international player" specifically as one born outside the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.