Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 80 East Ridge 67
Commanche Wrote:PT everyone has their own opinion of Bart. Bart's record speaks for itself and if what he has done satisfies you then that is your opinion. I personally think he has underacheived the last 3 years. Hopefully he can get the job done this year. My biggest complaint about the staff is that there are as many good basketball players not playing as they are playing. Imagine this years team with Steve Lane, Gavin Miller, Randy Maynard, Clark Keene, and the twins added to it. Regional Champ no doubt. The above mentioned names would not have needed 10 shots a game to be happy. I also think those might have been the top defenders on the team as they all played hard nosed defense and did not worry about averages. Think about that possibility PT, they all played through their freshman year and for some reason decided to quit, could it have been the coaches or were they burnt out.
And I can live with that opinion. My problem is when someone has a sole purpose on this site to ruin every thread related to Panther basketball because of a personal problem with the guy. Like I said earlier, if your opinion is he isn't the right fit, so be it. It doesn't need to be injected in 80% of your posts and in a childish manner.
Congrats to Pikeville
Panther Thunder Wrote:And I can live with that opinion. My problem is when someone has a sole purpose on this site to ruin every thread related to Panther basketball because of a personal problem with the guy. Like I said earlier, if your opinion is he isn't the right fit, so be it. It doesn't need to be injected in 80% of your posts and in a childish manner.

What is your opinion of the guys not playing that I mentioned PT?
Commanche Wrote:What is your opinion of the guys not playing that I mentioned PT?
I think it is unfortunate that their perceived dislike for a coach stopped them from playing a sport. But I also believe that is used as an excuse. I don't think that any of the players mentioned really love the game of basketball. And that is fine. If you aren't going to be all in than it is best to not play. As for what they would bring to the team, it would've added some quality depth and defense. I believe the difference is this year's team and last year's is that this years team can beat a lot of teams by outscoring them. Last year's team was not as potent offensively, but they played in your face defense for 32 minutes. When this year's team is cold, it could use some lock down defenders like what I believe Gavin would have added. I think that most all would be used in a Taylor Ratliff type role and it would severely cut their minutes. The thing about basketball is a 5'10 and under guard is not exactly a hot commodity. Branham and Rowe focus solely on basketball, thus allowing their skills to surpass the players mentioned.

But for the others, dropping basketball was not the end of the world for them. Clark, Steven, and Gavin got more time to lift, train, and practice baseball. That extra time allowed for arguably the best season in Pikeville High School history. (That 2005 team will always have a special place in my heart) If they were still with basketball, it would have limited summer baseball, the time to lift in the fall/winter and they would be coming into baseball season with dead legs. Randy was able to focus on football in the summer and preparing to be a Quarterback. It worked out for him as well with extra time to lift/practice. He had the best season a Panther has had on the football field since Harmon's soph. year. As for the players that have already graduated, See blow about the 5-10 guards below for Boyd. And Tibbs was just never going to work from watching what went on in practice. His attitude just wasn't right for basketball. In practice he would destroy people coming into the lane and when he didn't get his minutes after one game he was gone.

It's tough. You can only put 5 guys on the floor at once and even less guards (2-3). And in a small school in EKY, there are gonna be 25 guards for every PF or C. Choices have to be made on who stays and who goes. I experienced it firsthand. It threw a wrench in my baseball plans because of it. But I am trying to do my best to not let my personal feelings get thrown into a business discussion. Not everyone is going to like the decisions that are made. I guess my bottom line on the subject would be: If these players stuck around, the bench would look a lot different. It would have cost those kids a spot. The quality of the depth would have been a lot better, but still you're only looking at about 30-35 minutes to be split between about 7 people. I don't think the players mentioned would have been thrilled with 5 minutes a game and that is fine. I probably wouldn't have been either as a sophomore/junior. And I'd say that they would assume be where they are now as opposed to spending months of their time to play 150 minutes per season.

I hope that is a fair assessment. I love all the guys that have been discussed and would love to see them play all three sports, but I also understand that it isn't likely to happen. I hope no one takes offense to anything that was said, it was just as honest an opinion as I can give on the matter.
Good game Maroon and White. Two reasons ER lost this game.

1. The Tribe. They were the worst Tribe for a big game (PVille, SV, district & region ect.) ever. I mean ever. It was pathetic, and I was embarassed to be from East Ridge. I tried to get them riled up, and they got going for a while, but still sucked and got stomped by the Panther fan section. Again, The Tribe is the worst ever in the history of ER, and it needs to get better quick if they expect to win any more big games this season.

2. Cam Justice wasn't playing. Simple as that. This would've been a 1-3 point game if he were playing and it would have been a toss-up on who won, but the worst Tribe section in school history makes that fact moot.

Panthers brought the fan base, that's for sure. They just had a few that went to far, as that happens time to time. Some kid decided he wanted to follow me to my car and fight. Too bad he was laying bloodied and in a pool of his own urine as I was driving away.

At least we'll see you two more times, possibly three. Hopefully the Tribe will show up, and we'll have Cam this time Wink.

Who else is excited for the "probable", lol, definite District Championship match-up between The Ridge and Pikeville? Where is district this year anyway?
PT, I was referring to the Tackett Twins not Boyd or Tibbs as they graduated last year. But your assessment is your opinion and that is justified. I dont agree with everything but that is okay as well.

Good win by the Panthers, ER will come back with a vengence I am sure. Should be an interesting game next time as well.
District is at Pikeville, lol. Man that's going to be crazy. Hopefully, ER vs. Pikeville, district championship, Pikeville's gym PACKED. Gah I hope I'm here to see it!

Anyone remember 2004 I think? The district was at Pikeville, and all 3 teams were good but ER and SV were the best. The ER-Pville game was absolutely crazy, it was the loudest I've heard out of Rupp, Commenwealth, all those big college and pro stadiums. Final was ER vs. SV and it was just as wild, think ER won it. That was the year they went to Rupp. Every game from the first round of district to every game in the region was so WILD and just a great atmosphere. Every team was so good. Region was at Pburg that year...just crazy.

I sinceraly wish that it would go back to that kind of atmosphere. The biggest mistake ever in the 15th IMO was moving it to the Expo.
vundy33 Wrote:District is at Pikeville, lol. Man that's going to be crazy. Hopefully, ER vs. Pikeville, district championship, Pikeville's gym PACKED. Gah I hope I'm here to see it!

Anyone remember 2004 I think? The district was at Pikeville, and all 3 teams were good but ER and SV were the best. The ER-Pville game was absolutely crazy, it was the loudest I've heard out of Rupp, Commenwealth, all those big college and pro stadiums. Final was ER vs. SV and it was just as wild, think ER won it. That was the year they went to Rupp. Every game from the first round of district to every game in the region was so WILD and just a great atmosphere. Every team was so good. Region was at Pburg that year...just crazy.

I sinceraly wish that it would go back to that kind of atmosphere. The biggest mistake ever in the 15th IMO was moving it to the Expo.

Trail of tears much? I seen Coach Hurley today, he told me he expected East Ridge to be a front runner this year and make it back to Rupp.
Yeah, Coach Hurley leaving was a big blow to the ER program too..lol.