Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Rugby style punters
Seems to be a deceptive technique that is spreading. The punter starts running with the ball, then he may stop and punt, or keep running. At what point is it roughing once the punter starts running and the defense closes in. I have seen teams called for roughing a Rugby style punter after he ran with the ball a short distance. How is the opposing team supposed to know if it's a run or a punt?
I hate the way the rule is used also. The way it was explained is that as soon as he begins the act of punting he is protected. Problem is interpreting the rule, when does the act of punting begin???
^I think the rule is why teams are using it now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If the ball's unprotected, out in front of the guy, ref's are used to that being "in the act". But the r-s guys run like that, so it may come down to the ball leaving the hand as what starts the act, which will make the other 95% of the k's cringe.
LWC Wrote:^I think the rule is why teams are using it now.

Probably.
It's been used more this year than I have ever seen before.
This has been brought up A LOT! And to be honest I dont think ive ever gotten a straight answer. Most want to use the word intent. Like the referee is supposed to know the intent of the kicker. I just dont see how you cant have a clear rule, and in the near future I see a change coming to the rule.

IMO, anytime the kicker is making a kicking motion he is protected. Anytime he is on the run, even with the ball out he is a runner. I guess it comes down to the opinion of the current referee as to if the kicker is misusing his intent.
The rule should be that he is protected after the ball leaves his hands, If he goes out for a rugby style kick.
A player becomes a kicker when his knee, lower leg or foot makes contact with the ball. He continues to be the kicker until he has had reasonable opportunity to regain his balance.

Roughing the kicker is blocking, tackling or charging into the kicker.

It is not roughing if contact is unavoidable because it is not reasonably certain that a kick will be made; the defense touches the kick near the kicker and contact is unavoidable; contact is slight and is partially caused by movement of the kicker; contact is caused by a kicking team player blocking a receiving team player into the kicker.