Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The University of Pikeville making push to become a Public University
A statement from President Paul E. Patton

December 22, 2011 12:00 AM
PIKEVILLE, KY.
A Statement from University of Pikeville President Paul E. Patton on joining the state university system:

“The University of Pikeville has been in discussions with the leadership in Frankfort about the possibility of UPIKE joining the state university system. This could be the most important development in the region since the Mountain Parkway was established nearly 50 years ago.

If Kentucky is going to be what we all want it to be then the economic and educational level of Eastern Kentucky must be brought up to the rest of the commonwealth. The only way that can happen is if we have a state-supported, economical, high-quality university located in the coal-producing part of the state.

The University of Pikeville does a good job for those who can afford it; however, our students who are in the middle class cannot always afford the tuition of $16,250. A public regional university would substantially reduce the costs for our students. Too many of our young people do not return when we send them away to get an education. As a consequence, we continue to lose many of our best and brightest – the future leaders, entrepreneurs and innovators who could help grow the economy in Eastern Kentucky and Kentucky.

Should this go through we would like to see the university become a part of the state system effective July 1, 2012, which would be a very aggressive timetable. The state would then establish a university and appoint a board of trustees. Subject to the approval of the University of Pikeville’s Board of Trustees, all of the school’s assets and liabilities, with the exception of the endowment, would be transferred to the new entity.

Ultimately, the question of whether the University of Pikeville becomes a public university will be up to the state legislature. I appreciate the leaders who recognize the need in our region and are willing to participate in the dialogue and open debate that has begun. Becoming a state university would allow us to do more for the citizens of Eastern Kentucky – and to do it better. Should the legislature decide otherwise, we would continue to deliver the high quality, comprehensive education for which this institution has been known for the past 123 years.”

http://www.upike.edu/News/Campus/A-state...-President

Thoughts?
Sounds good, with my non knowledge of how the collegiate system works as far as the private/state system works.
Like it!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I love it...
TheRealVille Wrote:Sounds good, with my non knowledge of how the collegiate system works as far as the private/state system works.

I'll give you a basic break down...

University of Kentucky (Public School) Tuition ~$6,500
Vanderbilt University (Private School) Tuition ~$53,000

Public is VERY cheap compared to private institutions.
Public school tuition is only cheap for students. Taxpayers foot most of the bills, so the true cost of a public university education is hidden.
U-Pike is around 16,000
Pikeville going from "Pikeville College" to "The University of Pikeville" and now a public university. I did not attend this university, but I will say that they seem to really be making a push to make their programs better in all areas. Hats off to Pikeville for continuing to strive to make their place the best it can be for the students and the community.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:U-Pike is around 16,000

What is it when you tack on the room and board?
Bob Seger Wrote:What is it when you tack on the room and board?

Avg cost of a full time in-state student who lives on campus is ~24K
If this happens there are so many that can afford a bachelor's degree and live at home. Another thing that is so unimaginable that is here in the mountains, and once the new road is finished it is very accessable. There is our medical school, and in Grundy, Va- within driving distance of home, there is a law school and a pharmacist school. These factors have to be taken in while considering the opportunities for people here to get an education that is above the poverty line. It has to start early though, our children do not even have textbooks to take home anymore. There is no more after school programs for tutoring all because of budget cuts. They have them in Lexington and Louisville. They took our coal severance tax money for so long, and built their fine cities, know we want what is ours. Education for our children.
great idea hope the legislature approves
The problem I see with it becoming a state university is it will then receive state funds and right now all state funded colleges are having short falls and have been asked by the governor to tighten their belts even more. This has lead to hire freezes, layoffs, early retirements. I am sure Pikeville would then have the same issues.
bob seger Wrote:what is it when you tack on the room and board?

23,750 - 24500.
I went to UPIKE and support them getting better, BUT I do not see how we can support it as a state.
Watched debate monday night on ket and a lady emailed a question to bill goodman asking what about making u-pike a satellite campus for morehead.
Both presidents seemed to shoot that idea down. Personally thought it was
a great idea that needs to be discussed. Morehead president thinks that pikeville will suck alot of funds and students away but pres. Patton seems
to want to go at this independently.
NEXT Wrote:I went to UPIKE and support them getting better, BUT I do not see how we can support it as a state.

The same way we support the other state universities. Sick of all the whining about not enough money spent on education when the US ranks like 23rd in the world. You have professors teaching classes at the state universities working 20 hours a week and making $150K with their benefits package and early retirement. Where is all the "shared sacrifice" liberals are preaching? Plenty of money out there to have a state university in Pikeville and help our region but the greedy f*ers downstate are afraid it will cost them a dime.
^They're afraid they will have to let our coal severance tax remain in the coalfields.

And until that money is allocated to EKY only I agree with NEXT and can't see how our taxpayers can be forced to fund anything "extra" in our current economic state.
The coal severance tax money they are trying to take already belongs to other surrounding counties. If they can find other means of financial support then have at it. This is bad timing due to the economic times. I seen where State Representative Dumbo from P-burg wants to strongarm and bully the president and board of regents at Morehead. Big moral talk from a man who didn't support his own child. Then you have Patton taking the high road and spreading BS propaganda in trying to get coal counties to give up coal severance money and they are painting Morehead as villains. Most anyone who knows President Andrews from Morehead describes him with one word: class. When most people describe Patton, they use the words "crooked ass".
Petition Congressman Rogers in support for H.260.