Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Banks got screwed
ESPN Los Angeles: ex-usc trojans recruit rape conviction vacated

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- A former high school football star whose dreams of a pro career were shattered by a rape conviction burst into tears Thursday as a judge threw out the charge that sent him to prison for more than five years.

Brian Banks, now 26, pleaded no contest 10 years ago on the advice of his lawyer after childhood friend Wanetta Gibson falsely accused him of attacking her on their high school campus.

In an initial meeting with him, she said she had lied; there had been no kidnap and no rape and she offered to help him clear his record, court records state. But she refused to repeat the story to prosecutors because she feared she would have to return a $1.5 million payment from a civil suit brought by her mother against Long Beach schools.

During a second meeting that was secretly videotaped, she told Banks, "'I will go through with helping you but it's like at the same time all that money they gave us, I mean gave me, I don't want to have to pay it back," according to a defense investigator who was at the meeting.

It was uncertain Thursday whether Gibson will have to return the money.

Prosecutors also said they didn't immediately know if she might be prosecuted for making the false accusation when she was 15.
Wow, perfect title to this thread.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Apparently Banks wants to make a documentary about his life, and his story. I found his very own website http://brianbanks.org/
This is why when it comes to these fantasy rape charges, unless there is physical evidence and an eyewitness that saw you physically forcing yourself on someone, they shouldnt be allowed to prosecute when your a high profile athlete like this.
Ruined this guys life....
truly a scary tale for any male
I hope they have to pay back the money.

Only seems right.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This is why when it comes to these fantasy rape charges, unless there is physical evidence and an eyewitness that saw you physically forcing yourself on someone, they shouldnt be allowed to prosecute when your a high profile athlete like this.
Ruined this guys life....

I hope you mean that they shouldn't prosecute anyone, not just exemptions for athletes.
^
:thumbs:
I was just referring to how its MUCH more common with athletes, celebrities, etc.
It happens way more with common people. It is just not as publicized as it is with celebrities and athletes.
Apparently he is suing the state for being incarcerated, I believe the amount is $100 for every day he was in jail. However, he is not suing the girl who filed the charges....wonder why?
judgementday Wrote:Apparently he is suing the state for being incarcerated, I believe the amount is $100 for every day he was in jail. However, he is not suing the girl who filed the charges....wonder why?

my guess is by suing the state, it'll put pressure on them to go after the woman.
^
Either way i wouldnt mind seeing my tax money go to helping him get his life back if i lived there.
This type of thing has to stop.
Its extremely prevelant among young black men who are good athletes. Nothing but simple blackmail.
If this bothers you, then you should look at the statistics on possible innocent people serving life sentences.
^
It wouldnt surprise me if close to half of them were innocent.