Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tempered Compassion
While I, like most others, have compassion for the families who were hurt by the storm, I must admit that, in some cases, my compassion is tempered.

Obama (I've been asked to refer to him by legal name) made his cameo appearance for a photo shot with Christie and quickly left for Las Vegas to campaign. It would appear that his "visit" ended with nothing tangible in relief for the victims.

Bloomberg is going to waste millions of resources (generators, food, gasoline, drinking water, electricity, etc.) to go ahead with the marathon. Of course, he has asked each participant to pledge one dollar per mile ($26.20 total) for relief efforts. If 50,000 participate, which is highly unlikely, that would raise about 1.3 million dollars for the effort. Big deal.

Utility workers from Alabama came to donate their services and help restore the electricity. However, since they are non-union, they were called "scabs" (among other more obscene names) and told to leave and go home. Apparently, their services were neither needed nor appreciated.

Looting and related crimes are on the increase and are expected to get much worse. Surely no one is surprised by that.

All in all, this was a bad storm- certainly not a scintilla of Katrina. And, in the end, it appears that Obama's FEMA and other supporting groups are no better prepared for this storm than was Bush's group for Katrina.

Of course, rather than the 24 hour per day lambasting of Bush, the media will soft petal this one.

I could post much more but the picture should be clear.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:While I, like most others, have compassion for the families who were hurt by the storm, I must admit that, in some cases, my compassion is tempered.

Obama (I've been asked to refer to him by legal name) made his cameo appearance for a photo shot with Christie and quickly left for Las Vegas to campaign. It would appear that his "visit" ended with nothing tangible in relief for the victims.

Bloomberg is going to waste millions of resources (generators, food, gasoline, drinking water, electricity, etc.) to go ahead with the marathon. Of course, he has asked each participant to pledge one dollar per mile ($26.20 total) for relief efforts. If 50,000 participate, which is highly unlikely, that would raise about 1.3 million dollars for the effort. Big deal.

Utility workers from Alabama came to donate their services and help restore the electricity. However, since they are non-union, they were called "scabs" (among other more obscene names) and told to leave and go home. Apparently, their services were neither needed nor appreciated.

Looting and related crimes are on the increase and are expected to get much worse. Surely no one is surprised by that.

All in all, this was a bad storm- certainly not a scintilla of Katrina. And, in the end, it appears that Obama's FEMA and other supporting groups are no better prepared for this storm than was Bush's group for Katrina.

Of course, rather than the 24 hour per day lambasting of Bush, the media will soft petal this one.

There is already 15 million federal dollars on the ground in the storm areas. It was just reported a few minutes ago by Homeland Security. I sure would like to see that link about the Alabama workers.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:While I, like most others, have compassion for the families who were hurt by the storm, I must admit that, in some cases, my compassion is tempered.

Utility workers from Alabama came to donate their services and help restore the electricity. However, since they are non-union, they were called "scabs" (among other more obscene names) and told to leave and go home. Apparently, their services were neither needed nor appreciated.Looting and related crimes are on the increase and are expected to get much worse. Surely no one is surprised by that.

Wow, got a way to reference this Rex?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Wow, got a way to reference this Rex?

I dont have a link, but I did hear this on one of the newscasts I was listening to this morning.
BTW HRV, the mayor thinks holding that race will bring in 340 million dollars, plus boost morale. You think NYC could use both right about now? Even a former mayor, Koch, a usual poster boy for the right, thinks it is a good idea to have it.
This just in: The marathon is cancelled.
^I hadn't heard that yet but, Bloomberg has been catching double hockey sticks over it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:This just in: The marathon is cancelled.

I guess Bloomberg decided that the backlash would not be good for him politically. Obviously, the 340 million that it may or may not have brought in would be gross- not net. The net to the area would be a fraction of that. And, the net wouldn't be going to provide any relief to the victims.

"Already 15 million federal dollars on the ground in the storm areas"? Peanuts. Is this the best that your boy's outfit can do this long after the storm hit?

Of course, he did get to don his nice dark suit, white shirt, and tie to look sweet for the photo session.

He is continually proving himself to be an empty suit- even if it is a nice dark suit. He is clueless.

I would suggest that you check the Drudge Report, FoxNews.com, or watch a television channel that is not in the tank for Obama. It will never be reported on MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN or on any of the other Obama Networks.

Nonetheless, there is enough being reported to verify that it is true.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I guess Bloomberg decided that the backlash would not be good for him politically. Obviously, the 340 million that it may or may not have brought in would be gross- not net. The net to the area would be a fraction of that. And, the net wouldn't be going to provide any relief to the victims.

"Already 15 million federal dollars on the ground in the storm areas"? Peanuts. Is this the best that your boy's outfit can do this long after the storm hit?

Of course, he did get to don his nice dark suit, white shirt, and tie to look sweet for the photo session.

He is continually proving himself to be an empty suit- even if it is a nice dark suit. He is clueless.
:biglmao:Maybe they are watching how and where it goes? You hate wasteful FEMA, then bitch over what has been handed out so far? Tell us, what the hell will make you happy in this situation? FEMA spends too much money, FEMA spends not enough? What is an appropriate amount for FEMA to have on the ground at this point? I'm beginning to think you are nothing more than a hack.
TheRealVille Wrote:There is already 15 million federal dollars on the ground in the storm areas. It was just reported a few minutes ago by Homeland Security. I sure would like to see that link about the Alabama workers.

Here are a few links that I've found.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/...lief-Crews

http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/some-...y-recovery

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/theres...oin-union/
Old School Wrote:Here are a few links that I've found.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/...lief-Crews

http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/some-...y-recovery

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/theres...oin-union/
From your middle link. The guys on theAlabama side were mistaken.

Quote: Late Friday at a press conference, Hardin said the documents actually came from Electric Cities of Alabama, a coalition of the state's municipally owned utilities.

Bottom line, it appears now that Decatur Utilities wrongly assumed they would have to agree to the union contract before traveling to New Jersey to help with recovery efforts. The IBEW said in times of crisis, help is welcomed from union and non-union utility workers.
A link I found on one of yours.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/new-je...unionized/
I think probably TRT and me can agree on this one, both being union construction workers. I don't think any union would block help from coming into a disaster area, or make them sign any union agreement before doing so.
TheRealVille Wrote::biglmao:Maybe they are watching how and where it goes? You hate wasteful FEMA, then bitch over what has been handed out so far? Tell us, what the hell will make you happy in this situation? FEMA spends too much money, FEMA spends not enough? What is an appropriate amount for FEMA to have on the ground at this point? I'm beginning to think you are nothing more than a hack.

I believe I previously posted that I don't humor fools. However, you are amusing. Pitiful but amusing. Union construction worker? It figures.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I believe I previously posted that I don't humor fools. However, you are amusing. Pitiful but amusing. Union construction worker? It figures.
That's what I thought. You are nothing more than hack.

BTW, TRT is a union construction worker also.
TheRealVille Wrote:That's what I thought. You are nothing more than hack.

BTW, TRT is a union construction worker also.

Go for it, fool. Like anything else, there are intelligent construction workers and there are ignorant construction workers. TRT is clearly the former and you, poor soul, are obviously the latter.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Go for it, fool. Like anything else, there are intelligent construction workers and there are ignorant construction workers. TRT is clearly the former and you, poor soul, are obviously the latter.
Confusednicker::thatsfunn The link above proves your stuff is false. Who is the fool? It's hard to believe that a lawyer, professor even, has the time to be a political hack.
TheRealVille Wrote:Confusednicker::thatsfunn The link above proves your stuff is false. Who is the fool? It's hard to believe that a lawyer, professor even, has the time to be a political hack.

Sounds like a touch of class warfare. I believe you are a bit jealous.
TheRealVille Wrote:I think probably TRT and me can agree on this one, both being union construction workers. I don't think any union would block help from coming into a disaster area, or make them sign any union agreement before doing so.

RV, you may want to check out the two page contract. Item no. 3 would require the Utility to pay the IBEW $9.75 per man hour worked to cover medical and dental insurance. Item 4 request that the utility pan 22.5% of the employee's gross salary into the IBEW local 1049 craft annuity fund. In total there are 13 requests made by the IBEW local 1049.

In a two-page Oct. 29 contract, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) local 1049 demanded union dues, pay hikes and benefit contributions from Florida electric utilities before its workers would be permitted to help reconnect power to Long Island communities. The demand came as Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on the Northeastern United States, stranding tens of millions without electricity.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/03/amid-s...stay-home/
Old School Wrote:RV, you may want to check out the two page contract. Item no. 3 would require the Utility to pay the IBEW $9.75 per man hour worked to cover medical and dental insurance. Item 4 request that the utility pan 22.5% of the employee's gross salary into the IBEW local 1049 craft annuity fund. In total there are 13 requests made by the IBEW local 1049.

In a two-page Oct. 29 contract, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) local 1049 demanded union dues, pay hikes and benefit contributions from Florida electric utilities before its workers would be permitted to help reconnect power to Long Island communities. The demand came as Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on the Northeastern United States, stranding tens of millions without electricity.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/03/amid-s...stay-home/
It is wrong then, unless the city has some kind of contract with the union. The city should step in if they don't have a contract with the union. If I were the non union electrical workers, I would just go home. That looks like a contract that the union has with the Utilities, but I wonder if they really were trying to make the outside help sign it?
The Jersey people welcomed the help. Maybe this is limited to Long Island, and somebody should step in and straighten it out. Whoever runs Long Island maybe.

http://www.app.com/viewart/20121102/NJBI...Sandy-help
TheRealVille Wrote:I think probably TRT and me can agree on this one, both being union construction workers. I don't think any union would block help from coming into a disaster area, or make them sign any union agreement before doing so.

We agree that unions should not be guilty of atrocities such as the one brewing on Long Island. The contract is actually pretty clear. People are literally out there in misery, no heat, no bathroom facilities, no comforts at all. Many folks rely on untilities to even stay alive, how about those in hospital beds, and others too frail to survive without utilities? I heard it's only been getting up to 40 degrees during the daylight hours. If this is confirmed to be true, it demonstrates the unreasonable and superficial thought processes of some in union leadership. This is a national disaster, we don't need to be out there demanding union contracts for emergency services.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:We agree that unions should not be guilty of atrocities such as the one brewing on Long Island. The contract is actually pretty clear. People are literally out there in misery, no heat, no bathroom facilities, no comforts at all. Many folks rely on untilities to even stay alive, how about those in hospital beds, and others too frail to survive without utilities? I heard it's only been getting up to 40 degrees during the daylight hours. If this is confirmed to be true, it demonstrates the unreasonable and superficial thought processes of some in union leadership. This is a national disaster, we don't need to be out there demanding union contracts for emergency services.
Christie has said that New Jersey workers will not stand in the way of help, as have NJ IBEW members. Hopefully the NY governor, and the mayor on the other side of the bridge will step up and do the same thing over there. This is a time for help, not unionism.
TheRealVille Wrote:Christie has said that New Jersey workers will not stand in the way of help, as have NJ IBEW members. Hopefully the NY governor, and the mayor on the other side of the bridge will step up and do the same thing over there. This is a time for help, not unionism.

Absolutely correct. Some of the thiicker headed ones can't see that though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]