Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenwood’s Penny Reece: MaxPreps National High School Softball Coach of the Year
When Greenwood (Bowling Green, Ky.) coach Penny Reece was selecting state championship rings for her unbeaten state champion Gators, standard rings didn't quite seem appropriate.

"The regular class-sized ring just wasn't enough," said Reece. "We wanted something with a bit more bling."

And why not. Her Gators finished 44-0, the first time a Kentucky high school softball team had completed a season unbeaten. In the process, Greenwood set a state record for most wins in a season and most consecutive victories.

The Gators finished the 2013 season ranked No. 3 in the MaxPreps Xcellent 25 Rankings, recorded 26 shutouts and limited opponents to one run in 13 other victories. The most runs they allowed in a game was three — a 5-3 win over Mercy (Louisville) in the state semifinal game.

In District 14 play, they were 8-0 and allowed just one run while scoring 99. Greenwood defeated 19 opponents by 10 runs or more and outscored their five state tournament opponents 42-4.

All totaled, they outscored their opponents 377-24 this season.

"We had everything — pitching, defense and hitting," said Reece, who has three state titles to her credit. "We blew out the state average for hitting. This was special. It's still such a whirlwind. What we did best was go out and play our best and have fun."

Reece, who has a 534-148-1 record, knew five years ago that this group was special.

"When we won state in 2008, we had nine seniors on the field," said Reece. "People thought I would retire. But we assembled them as eighth-graders at that time. We took our lumps early in the season and ended up winning district tournament."

Reece said this group watched Greenwood win back-to-back state titles in 2007 and 2008.

"That made them determined," she said. "Last year we finished fourth (at state). We had our chances, but lost twice in 10 innings. It was in our grasp and we let it get away from us."

In one word, Reece described her team as "dedicated."

"They play fall ball, summer ball, condition and work in the weight room," said Reece. "As soon as we finished sizing for our championship rings, they went to the field to hit. I respect my kids — the way they handle themselves with such determination."

Reece, who has been teaching and coaching at Greenwood since it opened in 1990, said that if there was a defining moment this season, it was on May 14 when the Gators beat Christian County (Hopkinsville), 1-0, in the regular season finale.

They followed that a week later with one-run wins over Davies County (Owensboro), Oldham County (Buckner) and Bowling Green.

"We had been blowing people out and I think we started feeling the pressure when the win streak got into the upper 20s," said Reece. "We started playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. But when we set the (consecutive win record) in a 1-0 game at Christian, I think that's when we knew something special was happening."

Reece said she barred the media from team practices and the team started believing in themselves again.

From that point on it was business as usual — on the field.

Off the field has been a different story, however, as Reece's 18-year-old son Logan has begun preparation for his second kidney transplant. Reece gave him one of her kidneys six years ago.

"This just wore out and it's time for another," said Reece. "As a parent with a special needs child I understand we need to use our God-given ability and make the most of what we have."

Reece noted that Logan is an inspiration for her players.

"He's a fighter and always has a smile on his face," said Reece, who attended Bethel College on a basketball scholarship. "The kids see Logan and are more appreciative of what they have. It's good motivation for my girls."

Reece is well aware of the effect Logan has had on her life.

"I'd like to think I was a better person to begin, but he just warms your heart and I think I'm a better person than I would have been without him," she said.

It's understandable when Reece says coaching is a nice outlet from being a 24-7 special-needs parent.

Reece never had the opportunity to play softball. Instead she was a Little League Baseball all-star.

"That's how old I am," she said. "They didn't have fastpitch softball back then, so I had to play on the boys team. I think I'm the last girl to be a Little League all-star in my hometown."

Though she didn't have an opportunity to play organized fastpitch, few coaches have been as successful as Reece. In addition to her three state titles, her 1997 team was state runner-up. She also owns 14 District titles and nine Regional championships.

Add to that, she is second all-time in wins in Kentucky and is a member of the Kentucky High School Hall of Fame. The school's ballpark is named in her honor.

Reece says forming a bond with her players is one of her keys to success.

"A lot of it has to do with relationships you build with the kids. I teach at the school and my office is the hang-out area," she said. "They trust me. I'm their coach, but they know they can come talk to me. I love them away from the field as well."

Though she is savoring every moment of the 2013 season, Reece can't help but take a glimpse at 2014 when she returns three all-state players (Elizabeth Moss, Aeron Smith and Raley Slone) and a supporting cast that featured four sophomores, three freshmen and three eighth-graders.

"We should be strong, but we lost five who will be hard to replace. We have to walk to back the talk," said Reece, who lives her life knowing that respect is earned, never given. "We do plan to reload."

But before she looks too far ahead, she has a ring ceremony to participate in and a son awaiting his second kidney transplant.

"We can't take anything for granted," she said.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/hj4CNEyltkO...e-year.htm