Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County 63 South Laurel 33
Whitley and Corbin will play for the one seed on Feb. 7.
This is one of the few years the one seed isn't that big of a deal in the district. I say that also expecting Whitley to be the one seed.
Olred Wrote:This is one of the few years the one seed isn't that big of a deal in the district. I say that also expecting Whitley to be the one seed.

I agree. Most years, the three seed has a very high chance of beating the two seed. Most of the time Wburg is irrelevant in girls bball, but since South moved to the 13th, there has been a fight in that first round between the two and three seed, and usually a good team goes home early while bad teams from other districts have made it.
Fun Fact....

If Corbin beats Whitley, that means both teams will finish 5-1 in district play and be tied for first place.

How does the KHSAA tiebreaker work in that scenario?

The winner of the second game finishes higher. Meaning, if Corbin wins, they get the one seed.

This is kind of interesting. I wonder how many teams in the same district make each other flip flop where they play first every year? Ive never really noticed. Pretty much, in district where two teams are dominant, one of the teams will have the advantage at playing at home last, even if they lose the first one...
^
Did not know that. Wonder now many time that has been used?
I thought each district gets to make district seeding rules? I guess I was wrong.
If Whitley stays the course it's not going to matter. Whitley is much better than Corbin and has continue to improve. IMO, Corbin is going opposite direction.
This should be a dandy
Olred Wrote:I thought each district gets to make district seeding rules? I guess I was wrong.

I believe that each district has its own way. I know that in the 52nd they flip a coin. I think that in the 51st they use points somehow.
You guys may be right in that the KHSAA may let districts come up with there own rules for tie breakers, but according to the khsaa basketball rulebook....

d) In the case of a two-way tie for the district winning position,
(1) The tie-breaking mechanisms (in order) shall be:
a. In districts that have decided to play each other only once
in district play, the winner in the game played between
the tied district opponents would have the higher
finishing position.
b. In districts that have decided to play each other twice
in district play, the winner in the second game played
between the tied district opponents would have the
higher finishing position.

AND, after checking, the teams in the 50th district DO alternate every year. Corbin plays against Whitley at hom in the final of there two meetings, and last year, Whitley got the final game at home.

I asked, and this is the case in the 50th at least.
For example, last year, Corbin and Whitley finished tied for first with a 5-1record. They split game with Whitley winning at Corbin before the injuries really piled on, and later in the year, Corbin beat Whitley at Whitley to get the one seed in the district tourney.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You guys may be right in that the KHSAA may let districts come up with there own rules for tie breakers, but according to the khsaa basketball rulebook....

d) In the case of a two-way tie for the district winning position,
(1) The tie-breaking mechanisms (in order) shall be:
a. In districts that have decided to play each other only once
in district play, the winner in the game played between
the tied district opponents would have the higher
finishing position.
b. In districts that have decided to play each other twice
in district play, the winner in the second game played
between the tied district opponents would have the
higher finishing position.

AND, after checking, the teams in the 50th district DO alternate every year. Corbin plays against Whitley at hom in the final of there two meetings, and last year, Whitley got the final game at home.

I asked, and this is the case in the 50th at least.
For example, last year, Corbin and Whitley finished tied for first with a 5-1record. They split game with Whitley winning at Corbin before the injuries really piled on, and later in the year, Corbin beat Whitley at Whitley to get the one seed in the district tourney.

I have been wrong before but I am pretty sure that is how it is. I think that there may be a few districts who still draw. Hazard and Perry's district did and I think that they still do.
^
Oh yea, there are some who still draw, and this doesn't apply to them. This rule only applies to the districts that seed.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Oh yea, there are some who still draw, and this doesn't apply to them. This rule only applies to the districts that seed.

I still think they have their own rule.
Most districts have different ways that they seed and break tie-breakers. In 52nd a coin flip is used for tie-breaker. In the Perry Central distict they use the Cantrell Ratings to seed their district tourney.
SL has dropped a long way last couple of years.
:pondering: I think SL will be the team to beat within the next couple of years.....They are loaded with good young talent. They have players that fit every position and Coach Snyder will get them singing her song before it is over.
^
Im not counting our girls out yet.
If Estes continues to grow, she could be the best player in the region in a couple of years.
Whitleys feeders continue to be strong.