Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Players and 3 Assistants Leave Pulaski County Program
What is going on at Pulaski County? 10 players and all 3 assistant coaches have quit the team. This leaves them with just 3 remaining players. It sounds like the rest of the team will be made up of players brought up from the middle school ranks. The coach from last season was fired one week before the team's first scrimmage and replaced by Brad Gover--brother of Al Gover who just resigned as boy's basketball coach. Here is a quote from the assistant coaches that was in the Commonwealth Journal's story on the situation:

“In late February, a week before the first scrimmage of the season, the team was rattled with a change in the head coaching position. This was a very hard blow for the team so close to season starting. We knew there would be an adjustment period and the transition would be difficult.”

“Although this was a very emotional time, the team rallied together and decided that they would stay together and finish the season because they had worked hard, put in a lot of time, but mostly because they loved the game.”

“On the field, the players made every attempt to change the things they were asked to change. Within a five-week period of time, we witnessed things and heard things being done to the players that included bullying, berating, intimidation, humiliation, and retaliation.”

“It finally reached a point in which we had to decide what was right and what was wrong and let our decision be based on that.”

Here is a link to the rest of the article: Pulaski's Walk Off

Sounds like a bad situation.
I knew there were big problems between the administration and the softball program when they let Coach McKee go. It's pretty obvious the program is not important to the higher ups. Best of luck and stick to your guns coaches and young ladies. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.
Are you kidding me???? What the assistant coaches lead these players to do is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen in sports..........They all feel the are bigger than the program. The program was struggling to begin with and this will set it back at least 3 to 4 years...I bet Somerset and SW love watching this!
Walt Longmire Wrote:What is going on at Pulaski County? 10 players and all 3 assistant coaches have quit the team. This leaves them with just 3 remaining players. It sounds like the rest of the team will be made up of players brought up from the middle school ranks. The coach from last season was fired one week before the team's first scrimmage and replaced by Brad Gover--brother of Al Gover who just resigned as boy's basketball coach. Here is a quote from the assistant coaches that was in the Commonwealth Journal's story on the situation:

“In late February, a week before the first scrimmage of the season, the team was rattled with a change in the head coaching position. This was a very hard blow for the team so close to season starting. We knew there would be an adjustment period and the transition would be difficult.”

“Although this was a very emotional time, the team rallied together and decided that they would stay together and finish the season because they had worked hard, put in a lot of time, but mostly because they loved the game.”

“On the field, the players made every attempt to change the things they were asked to change. Within a five-week period of time, we witnessed things and heard things being done to the players that included bullying, berating, intimidation, humiliation, and retaliation.”

“It finally reached a point in which we had to decide what was right and what was wrong and let our decision be based on that.”

Here is a link to the rest of the article: Pulaski's Walk Off

Sounds like a bad situation.

Why are you trying to stir the pot a little bit more?
The administration stirred the pot when they waited so late to dismiss a coach that had done a very good job with the program.
Wow....what the heck is going on Pulaski county girls softball record is 7-4 :igiveup:
Boom34 Wrote:Why are you trying to stir the pot a little bit more?

Just posting what the paper reported. I don't see how that's stirring the pot.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Just posting what the paper reported. I don't see how that's stirring the pot.

I find it hard to believe that the adults would follow the kids.
These adults; Jack Roney; Peggy Sewell; Missy Murphy; what did they teach these kids? When things don't go your way in life take your bat and glove and go home? I promise you these kids will face tough times in life and those who should have been role models failed them greatly. Shame on these adults and bravo to the Pulaski administration for not being "bullied" by 3 misguided adults!
Everyone one of these situations that I have ever seen it always starts out being the coach or the administration faults, but when it all comes out it is always liittle Suzzy or Little Johnny was not getting to start. The sad part of this is how the faulty has operated i hope that none of them have tenure and they all lose there jobs. Sports are about teaching life lessons and all they taught the kids was when times get hard just quit.