Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 10 poorest states in the nation.
Bob Seger Wrote:Seriously, I didn't mean to be dramatic or smart, but there is in reality a flip side to determining what numbers truly define poverty...Make $60k in Kentucky and you are considered to have a dang good job..Make $60k in LA, NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, Honolulu, etc. and you'll be living on skid row.

A number designated as a poverty line number is not a one size fits all, as it is all dependent upon the region of the country in which you live and what it costs to live in that area.
I don't think wages are set the same in different regions. You are stating 60k in each state. The poverty line for CA is set at a different rate/wage than it is for KY. I think it meant, for example, that KY's 18% poverty rate is compared to KY wages/cost of living, and CA's poverty rate percentage is set for wage/cost of living for CA. So, if say, CA had a poverty rate of 10%, that is set for CA, not KY's rates.
TheRealVille Wrote:No, how did those states vote in national elections since your date of 1950? Red or blue? All those states are considered red/conservative states. Kentucky, for example, has a democrat governor, but it is considered a conservative/red voting state.
No.

As far as presidential elections since 1950 are concerned, Kentucky is considered a red state. However, if you look at the U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, and the many Kentucky state elections during this period you will find they have been predominantly held by democrats.
TheRealVille Wrote:I don't think wages are set the same in different regions. You are stating 60k in each state. The poverty line for CA is set at a different rate/wage than it is for KY. I think it meant, for example, that KY's 18% poverty rate is compared to KY wages/cost of living, and CA's poverty rate percentage is set for wage/cost of living for CA. So, if say, CA had a poverty rate of 10%, that is set for CA, not KY's rates.

Cold be, I really don't have a clue..But if it is all based on the same benchmark figure, that would be a very misleading statistic.
C.E. Riggs Wrote:As far as presidential elections since 1950 are concerned, Kentucky is considered a red state. However, if you look at the U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, and the many Kentucky state elections during this period you will find they have been predominantly held by democrats.

Good point. And even in presidential elections Kentucky has voted democrat, such as during the 1990's when Bill Clinton won the state in both 92 and 96. The state did have a time period from 1856 until 1948 when the republican won only three times.

During part of McConnell's time in the senate, the other senator representing Kentucky was Wendell Ford (he was also governor at one point) who had represented Kentucky as a democrat for 25 years before he retired in 1999. Ford served as the majority and minority whip for the senate during part of Bush I's term and most of Clinton's term. McConnell only won his first election in 1984 against democrat Dee Huddleston by .4%, and Huddleston had served two terms prior to McConnell winning election against him. So the democrats have had a lot of success both in the past and in recent years in the senate.

Now, looking at the governor position...

Take note that before 1992, a Kentucky governor could not serve a second term. A democrat has served as the governor 35 times, while a republican has only held the spot. The only time a republican held the office two times in a row was in the late 1800's, and the second republican only served 50 days in office because the election results were eventually overturned.

The Kentucky senate....

Right now the state senate is composed of 23 republicans, 14 democrats, and an independent. While the republicans have had control of the senate for a while, they do not have exceedingly dominant control as the democrats have in the past when the Republicans would only have single digits in the senate most years.

The Kentucky house of represenatives...

I want to say that the democrats have had a hold on the state house for close to 100 years now.

The democrats have also controlled the attorney general positions, auditor, treasurer, etc. I don't think we have had a republican treasurer in a long, long time.

In addition, look at the local elections. Many people have run as democrat and have won on a local level.

Do you still think Kentucky is a red state RV?
WideRight05 Wrote:Good point. And even in presidential elections Kentucky has voted democrat, such as during the 1990's when Bill Clinton won the state in both 92 and 96. The state did have a time period from 1856 until 1948 when the republican won only three times.

During part of McConnell's time in the senate, the other senator representing Kentucky was Wendell Ford (he was also governor at one point) who had represented Kentucky as a democrat for 25 years before he retired in 1999. Ford served as the majority and minority whip for the senate during part of Bush I's term and most of Clinton's term. McConnell only won his first election in 1984 against democrat Dee Huddleston by .4%, and Huddleston had served two terms prior to McConnell winning election against him. So the democrats have had a lot of success both in the past and in recent years in the senate.

Now, looking at the governor position...

Take note that before 1992, a Kentucky governor could not serve a second term. A democrat has served as the governor 35 times, while a republican has only held the spot. The only time a republican held the office two times in a row was in the late 1800's, and the second republican only served 50 days in office because the election results were eventually overturned.

The Kentucky senate....

Right now the state senate is composed of 23 republicans, 14 democrats, and an independent. While the republicans have had control of the senate for a while, they do not have exceedingly dominant control as the democrats have in the past when the Republicans would only have single digits in the senate most years.

The Kentucky house of represenatives...

I want to say that the democrats have had a hold on the state house for close to 100 years now.

The democrats have also controlled the attorney general positions, auditor, treasurer, etc. I don't think we have had a republican treasurer in a long, long time.

In addition, look at the local elections. Many people have run as democrat and have won on a local level.

Do you still think Kentucky is a red state RV?
Yes, as a whole, Ky is considered a red state. Democrats can be conservative. Ky has always been considered a conservative/red state.
TheRealVille Wrote:Yes, as a whole, Ky is considered a red state. Democrats can be conservative. Ky has always been considered a conservative/red state.

True. Informed Kentucky Democrats tend to be much more conservative than their counterparts in northern and western states.

Inner city Louisville and inner city Lexington, the electoral strongholds of the liberals in Kentucky, are such solely because of minority voters. I strongly suspect that these voters don't know a liberal position from a conservative position. They merely vote their own personal interests. Who will give them more handouts? And, that is why the Democrats will continue to hold one congressional seat- the Third District.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13...lp00000592

The Huffington Post, which has an extreme liberal bias, just reported the 12 most rat-infested cities in America. Chicago, NYC, Denver, and others. Ironically, only one of the cities mentioned on this liberal website comes from a conservative state. Of course, that doesn't really matter when it comes to big cities considering the big cities are full of liberals.
WideRight05 Wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13...lp00000592

The Huffington Post, which has an extreme liberal bias, just reported the 12 most rat-infested cities in America. Chicago, NYC, Denver, and others. Ironically, only one of the cities mentioned on this liberal website comes from a conservative state. Of course, that doesn't really matter when it comes to big cities considering the big cities are full of liberals.

Absolutely no surprise about which one is number one. And, ironically poetic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:Yes, as a whole, Ky is considered a red state. Democrats can be conservative. Ky has always been considered a conservative/red state.

True, and this is why Grimes is running under the proclamation that shes a "Clinton" Democrat. Billy was popular in the state and she knows it. Its also why she didn't answer whether or not she voted for Obama Confusednicker: