Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squatting on a Squatter (Feel-good story from Detroit)
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB_hjqZQ1UY"]The entitlement mentality meets the law of the land.
[/URL]
This was hysterical!! Never figured you for a YouTube fan, Hoot!!
That was funny until I realized the significance of squatting. What if some Daddy decides to take his family out for dinner and a movie, and upon returning home, they walk in on some of these so-called squatters? I mean, what are the ground rules or area practice with regard to squatting? Would Joe squatter be interested in an abandoned home, or would he seek out one that was appropriately decorated for the upcoming Christmas season?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Granny Bear Wrote:This was hysterical!! Never figured you for a YouTube fan, Hoot!!
I saw the story on hotair.com but I don't like posting links to political websites. I mainly use YouTube to watch training videos.
TheRealThing Wrote:That was funny until I realized the significance of squatting. What if some Daddy decides to take his family out for dinner and a movie, and upon returning home, they walk in on some of these so-called squatters? I mean, what are the ground rules or area practice with regard to squatting? Would Joe squatter be interested in an abandoned home, or would he seek out one that was appropriately decorated for the upcoming Christmas season?
In many states, such as Texas, I imagine that if somebody occupies your house and never had permission to be there, they might as well be a burglar. IMO, possessing somebody else's property "openly and notoriously" with no lease and not even verbal permission from the owner puts them below common thieves on the character scale. The squatter is lucky that she is still alive.

However, in a state like Michigan, the homeowner probably acted wisely in not attempting to remove the thief by force. She had already been handcuffed and arrested for no good reason. At least the Detroit police finally did their job when the cameras started rolling.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:In many states, such as Texas, I imagine that if somebody occupies your house and never had permission to be there, they might as well be a burglar. IMO, possessing somebody else's property "openly and notoriously" with no lease and not even verbal permission from the owner puts them below common thieves on the character scale. The squatter is lucky that she is still alive.

However, in a state like Michigan, the homeowner probably acted wisely in not attempting to remove the thief by force. She had already been handcuffed and arrested for no good reason. At least the Detroit police finally did their job when the cameras started rolling.

As I read this, in the background, I heard Obama on TV bragging up Eric Holder as the longest serving AG in history and "one of the finest." VERY likely, the lawlessness in Michigan and Illinois is directly attributable to Mr Holder's stellar performance. He also declared the AG to be directly responsible for the enforcement of civil rights. Obviously we're not talking about everybody's civil rights, just minority civil rights.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:As I read this, in the background, I heard Obama on TV bragging up Eric Holder as the longest serving AG in history and "one of the finest." VERY likely, the lawlessness in Michigan and Illinois is directly attributable to Mr Holder's stellar performance. He also declared the AG to be directly responsible for the enforcement of civil rights. Obviously we're not talking about everybody's civil rights, just minority civil rights.
I watched Obama and Holder standing next to Obama's nominee to replace Holder, Loretta Lynch, as she accepted the nomination and found myself wishing that she was replacing Obama instead of Holder.

I may regret saying this, but although Obama obviously appointed Lynch because he could check two boxes on his affirmative action checklist, she impressed me as much more competent and mainstream than either of them.

Maybe Obama has finally stumbled upon a competent, honorable nominee for a Cabinet position. I certainly hope so. Lynch has a huge mess to clean up at the Department of Justice if she is confirmed by the Senate. I hope that she will perform her duties in such a way that the winning 2016 presidential candidate will consider keeping her in place. However, if she does her job at DOJ, she will not last through the end of Obama's second term.
I think the owner would have been better off shooting the intruder and calling it a day.
If this would happen more often, a lot of tax payer money would be saved.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think the owner would have been better off shooting the intruder and calling it a day.
If this would happen more often, a lot of tax payer money would be saved.
If this had not happened in a liberal state, I would agree - but the owner had already been arrested when the squatter accused her of trying to run over the squatter with a car and the police did nothing to the squatter.

This kind of thing would not happen in Texas or any other southern state and shooting the squatter would have resulted in a great ending to the story.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I watched Obama and Holder standing next to Obama's nominee to replace Holder, Loretta Lynch, as she accepted the nomination and found myself wishing that she was replacing Obama instead of Holder.

I may regret saying this, but although Obama obviously appointed Lynch because he could check two boxes on his affirmative action checklist, she impressed me as much more competent and mainstream than either of them.

Maybe Obama has finally stumbled upon a competent, honorable nominee for a Cabinet position. I certainly hope so. Lynch has a huge mess to clean up at the Department of Justice if she is confirmed by the Senate. I hope that she will perform her duties in such a way that the winning 2016 presidential candidate will consider keeping her in place. However, if she does her job at DOJ, she will not last through the end of Obama's second term.

Obama micro manages ever high post, she'd have to be a paramount of conviction to defy him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Obama micro manages ever high post, she'd have to be a paramount of conviction to defy him.
I am just trying to be optimistic. Odds are she will be just as bad as Obama's other appointments but on the surface, it looks unlikely that the Senate will not give its consent to her. If she is halfway honest, then I feel sorry for her if she gets confirmed. Holder has run non-stop cover-up operations for one criminal act after another. Lynch may not get time to do anything but answer Senate inquiries for the next two years.

Republicans, including those who plan to run for the White House in 2016 should make it clear that if she performs her job in the nonpartisan manner that an Attorney General should, that the door will be opened for her to continue as part of a Republican administration. I know that is extremely unlikely, but she may be able to straddle the fence and throw Holder under the bus without incriminating Obama any further.

I just don't see an Obama impeachment in the cards, so nailing Holder for his crimes would be a great accomplishment and Lynch will be in position to do just that. If she values her reputation, she will not let Obama and Holder drag her into the mud.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If this had not happened in a liberal state, I would agree - but the owner had already been arrested when the squatter accused her of trying to run over the squatter with a car and the police did nothing to the squatter.

This kind of thing would not happen in Texas or any other southern state and shooting the squatter would have resulted in a great ending to the story.
Republican governor, republican majorities in both houses. :dontthink
TheRealVille Wrote:Republican governor, republican majorities in both houses. :dontthink
You are right, RV, maybe the home owner could have shot the squatter and let the coroner dispose of the body - but that would have been far less entertaining.
TheRealThing Wrote:That was funny until I realized the significance of squatting. What if some Daddy decides to take his family out for dinner and a movie, and upon returning home, they walk in on some of these so-called squatters? I mean, what are the ground rules or area practice with regard to squatting? Would Joe squatter be interested in an abandoned home, or would he seek out one that was appropriately decorated for the upcoming Christmas season?

Oh, this could be very bad if it happened at my house. My husband has always said, that you can't run away from trouble any farther than your own home. If someone invaded our home, I know that he would defend it, and if necessary, with force.
Granny Bear Wrote:Oh, this could be very bad if it happened at my house. My husband has always said, that you can't run away from trouble any farther than your own home. If someone invaded our home, I know that he would defend it, and if necessary, with force.

Great sig Granny.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^^
Thank you. Veterans have a soft spot in my heart!! Lived with one for 45 years now...

Smile