Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern California 74 Utah 58
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Chimezie Metu scored 14 points to lead USC 74-58 over Utah on Saturday.

Jordan Usher matched his career high with 14 points and the Trojans (21-9, 12-5 Pac-12 Conference) bolstered their case for an NCAA Tournament bid with their fourth straight win.

"I knew someone needed to step up," said Usher, who had four 3-pointers. "I always try and stay ready. ... Today was just my day."

After the Utes battled back to 55-49, Elijah Stewart made back-to-back dunks to spark a 16-0 run to clinch the game. Stewart finished with 10 points.

"I don't want to take any of the credit away from USC. They made some big-time shots in the first half and the six open shots they missed, they got rebounds and scored 12 points on them so it was a little bit of a perfect storm for us," Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak said. "I'm just proud our guys didn't fold our tents in the first half and fought back."

David Collette paced Utah (18-10, 10-7) with 14 points as the Utes saw their five-game win streak snapped.

USC held the Utes to 3-of-15 shooting to start the game and frustration led to mistakes. Collette got a flagrant-1 foul with 7:12 left in the first half for an excessive push.

The aggressive Trojans took advantage of weak passes and surged to a 36-19 lead after a dunk by Usher and Shaqquan Aaron's 3-pointer.

BIG PICTURE

USC: The Trojans swept the Utes and now have a firm hold on second place in the Pac-12. Most prognosticators have USC firmly on the bubble for the NCAA Tournament but this win will probably push them forward for an at-large bid.

http://usctrojans.com/news/2018/2/24/usc...-user.aspx
USC chasing Arizona for the Pac 12 title
boo