Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timberwolves vs. Mavericks Series (Western Conference Finals)
Imagine that there'll be more interest in this than we'll see for the Eastern Conference Finals.

Minnesota's identity is rooted in their ability to defend. Three players in their frontcourt stand over 7 feet tall and are mobile, so they can clean things up by funneling you to the rim and challenging you there. 

Offensively, this may be Anthony Edwards' coronation-- more on that in the Nuggets vs. T'wolves Semis thread. 

This series may hinge on exactly how much Minny gets from Town and Jaden McDaniels. 

Dallas will need a healthy Luka, and it's been fairly obvious that he's been pretty banged-up over the past series. 

I think Kyrie provides solid veteran presence; I get the feeling that he knows that this may be one of his last great opportunities at another title and will have at least one or two games where he rises to the occasion. 

I'm still not sold on PJ Washington; not trying to say he's terrible, just that I don't always buy the hype. I'll admit there may be some bias there, as I would probably like him more if he toned down the celebrations and acted like he's scored before. 

Aside from Luka's health, I will be monitoring how much the Mavs can get from Derrick Jones Jr. and Lively, especially on the boards and in transition.
This will definitely be that draws more interest. ECF would've had New York made it with a Knicks-Celtics matchup. But you got some of the greatest young talent in the world in this series, ANT, Luka to be exact.

Like you said @Cactus Jack it's going to come down to how healthy Luka really is, he is battling through a lot right now but still playing at a pretty high level. The moves Dallas made at the deadline with Washington, and Gafford have drastically improved their defense which is always ramped up in the playoffs. Kyrie has been at this level so many times in his Cleveland days, made so many big plays and hit some big shots, also agree that he could really be a difference maker, especially if they need a bucket down the stretch. Outside of that combo, Dallas is definitely going to need more offensively, Washington has shown signs of that third option, but he has been up & down all playoffs, if Dallas wants to even have a chance of winning, they'll need more consistency from him.

Minnesota will most likely be the favorite to win this series. Obviously starting with ANT, this guy has taken the next step and these whole playoffs by storm. By far the best defensive unit left, all starts with Gobert, and their guards will get up in your face. Also depth has been a huge advantage, Reid is a grown man and a luxury coming off the bench when he could be a starter for most teams. Towns is finally getting a shot at a championship, which is great to see. Always been a fan of the T-wolves, mainly bc KG is one of my favorite players.

This should be a fun series, I'll take Minnesota in 6.
[-] The following 1 user Likes -STAT-'s post:
  • Cactus Jack
@-STAT- can't believe I forgot Naz Reid. He's having a great postseason and will definitely have an impact on the outcome.
Game 1 was just a game of ups & downs. Kyrie started out hot for Dallas, Luka ended up finishing the show w/ 15 4th qtr points. With how today's game is played, hard to believe Dallas won only making 6 3's, and Minnesota making 18. Rebounding was key for Dallas and finishing at the basket, the 2 point shots were there for them late, while the 3's weren't for Minnesota. You could tell Minnesota was gassed down the stretch, especially Edwards who had a tough night. McDaniels had a great game, and Naz was big off the bench but just wasn't enough. When you have a 2 headed monster like Luka & Kyrie, and they're both on like they were last night? Going to be tough to contain even for a great defensive team like Minnesota, but still a lot of series left and that could change. Exciting game last night, and this series is shaping up to be a good one.
Gonna be a great series.
Well this series has been complete opposite of what I thought (and predicted).

Dallas has just been the more physical team at this point, except for game 4, but the first 3 games it's been all Luka & Kyrie. Those 2 have been unreal down the stretch, just getting anything they want offensively, Luka hitting that 3 over Gobert in game 2 was awesome. Even though its 3-1, every game has been close but Dallas has just had that physical & mental advantage especially in those clutch situations. Props to Minnesota for stepping up and keeping their season alive in game 4, Towns finally got going despite fouling out, and Edwards had by far his best game of the series after a struggle so far. Game 5 is tonight, can Minnesota push it to a game 6 or will Dallas move on to The Finals?
I honestly thought that with Minnesota winning game 4, they would have some huge momentum going back to homecourt and extending this series, but damn was I wrong. Dallas came out on a mission, Luka outscoring Minnesota by himself in the 1st qtr. They just controlled every facet of the game from that point on, and never looked back. Luka & Kyrie combined for 72 points, one of the best scoring backcourts we've ever seen will get to showcase their talents in The Finals against a great Boston team.

As for Minnesota, a breakout season that came up just short of their first ever Finals appearance. The great defense they displayed during the season, and in early rounds of the playoffs didn't hold too strong against a talented Dallas team. Anthony Edwards has officially arrived folks, he's the next big thing in the NBA and I for sure can't wait to watch his career unfold. A great season for Minnesota, a lot to learn from and build on for the future for them.