Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County 8 Wolfe County 7
Final. 

This one was a dandy.
Bobcats got them when it counted. Wolfe is tough tho. Credit to the bobcats to finish that one. Wolfe had the bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 7th but Breathitt escaped and held on to win. Coach Combs has been great in a in the postseason hope he keeps it going. Region is gonna be good.
The draw is going to be crucial now. Bellamy out first round and a bad draw puts them in a tough spot.

Congrats to those bobcats fighting this one out tho. Been a while since we’ve had a competitive district in the 55th as well as across the region. May baseball is the best baseball!
Eddie Browning should be suspended for his actions last night. Why is the AD of Hazard allowed to umpire in tourney games anyway? He has impacted the regional tourney in Hazards favor.
What happened to cause the ejections?
From watching the video not sure you can blame the umpire. The two players were already having words before the at bat and were warned. They continued through the play and forced the umpire's hand after the warning.
I agree. Browning had to do something because it was getting out of hand. I also agree the AD from another school should not be calling behind the plate or even at all. I understand the umpire shortage as well though. Like I said before. These two teams may meet again. But without Bellamy and Wilson the road got just a little bit harder. More for Breathitt than Wolfe.
Browning was not in the wrong but should not be doing postseason games due to being the Hazard AD. The buddy system will always prevail in the 14th!
Breathitt always causing trouble. Pitiful..
(05-22-2024, 02:35 PM)Oldschool86 Wrote: I agree. Browning had to do something because it was getting out of hand. I also agree the AD from another school should not be calling behind the plate or even at all. I understand the umpire shortage as well though. Like I said before. These two teams may meet again. But without Bellamy and Wilson the road got just a little bit harder. More for Breathitt than Wolfe.
Yeah getting out of hand after the catcher followed Bellamy down to 1st base. Bush league move but Wolfe won’t miss Wilson being out. Mcwhorter kid is a much better hitter anyway. 

Eddie the driller earned his nickname last night. He has sidelined Breathitt’s ace and made the path easier for Hazard. There is no low too low for that guy
(05-22-2024, 05:15 PM)Night Train Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 02:35 PM)Oldschool86 Wrote: I agree. Browning had to do something because it was getting out of hand. I also agree the AD from another school should not be calling behind the plate or even at all. I understand the umpire shortage as well though. Like I said before. These two teams may meet again. But without Bellamy and Wilson the road got just a little bit harder. More for Breathitt than Wolfe.
Yeah getting out of hand after the catcher followed Bellamy down to 1st base. Bush league move but Wolfe won’t miss Wilson being out. Mcwhorter kid is a much better hitter anyway. 

Eddie the driller earned his nickname last night. He has sidelined Breathitt’s ace and made the path easier for Hazard. There is no low too low for that guy
The catcher followed the play like any other catcher would do backing up the throw. Bellamy got up and started towards Wolfes first baseman starting the whole altercation.

(05-22-2024, 05:52 PM)Bulldog717 Wrote:

The catcher followed the play like any other catcher would do backing up the throw. Bellamy got up and started towards Wolfes first baseman starting the whole altercation.
You can see it in the video.
I think the right call was made the umpire talked to both Wilson an Bellamy an they continued on with their stupidness an got ejected which was the right call in my opinion you can bash an blame the umpire an say he done it to help hazard but any other umpire would have done the same. I don't think he should be the umpire for games in the 14th but the behavior from breathitts coaches an wolfe parents from what I saw was awful an part of why we have an umpire an ref shortage no way would I want to do that job an listen to 30 an 40 year old adults whine an cry worse then 3 year olds on every call made an when there's a loss automatically jump to they were cheated breathitt done it this past season in basketball every loss it was those danged ol refs robbed um!
Correct me if I’m wrong but in the regional tournament in basketball, doesn’t another set of refs from a different region officiate the 14th regional tournament? If so, you’d think the same thing would happen in baseball
[-] The following 1 user Likes Strikeout King's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse
(05-22-2024, 09:00 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Correct me if I’m wrong but in the regional tournament in basketball, doesn’t another set of refs from a different region officiate the 14th regional tournament? If so, you’d think the same thing would happen in baseball
For some reason I don’t think baseball does it that way. It should be that way

Yeah your right catcher is supposed to do that but he only done that play . Done other times did do that the whole game. Wolfe co should had more toss as well. That was planned you could tell that much. Get Bellamy thrown out. But with that been said Bellamy has be smarter than that. You can’t lose cool as senior. You have be leader and lead by example. Also Ed Browning let this go on for long time until out hand . He maybe worst behind plate umpire I have seen. For both teams no consistency what so ever. I understand he is Hazard AD and I’m sure umpire shortage but that can’t happen. That make this region look bad. He can impact a lot by umpiring district championship. Lucas Miller was try get his guys for that game. Ed Browning was there at Wolfe co before the took up gate or Breathitt buses was there in there with the athletic director of Wolfe co. For no reason should be there that early.
So are we going to ban all officials that work in school systems then? How about Gary Hammonds? He was a long time coach for Knott but yet still calls games. I am sure there are other officials working as well that work in school systems.
(05-22-2024, 11:41 PM)Bluecat Wrote: So are we going to ban all officials that work in school systems then? How about Gary Hammonds? He was a long time coach for Knott but yet still calls games. I am sure there are other officials working as well that work in school systems.
That’s a good point.
(05-22-2024, 11:22 PM)Statebound19 Wrote:

Yeah your right catcher is supposed to do that but he only done that play . Done other times did do that the whole game. Wolfe co should had more toss as well. That was planned you could tell that much. Get Bellamy thrown out. But with that been said Bellamy has be smarter than that. You can’t lose cool as senior. You have be leader and lead by example. Also Ed Browning let this go on for long time until out hand . He maybe worst behind plate umpire I have seen. For both teams no consistency what so ever. I understand he is Hazard AD and I’m sure umpire shortage but that can’t happen. That make this region look bad. He can impact a lot by umpiring district championship. Lucas Miller was try get his guys for that game. Ed Browning was there at Wolfe co before the took up gate or Breathitt buses was there in there with the athletic director of Wolfe co. For no reason should be there that early.
That play was the only ground ball fielded up to that point. Pointing all the blame on the catcher as Bellamy is known for his attitude not only in baseball but basketball as well. I will admit the catcher was in the wrong as well as Bellamy and both should have been ejected, but you can’t put all the blame on the catcher. Browning let the game get out of hand early it was just a matter of time before something happened.
(05-22-2024, 11:44 PM)14th Official Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 11:41 PM)Bluecat Wrote: So are we going to ban all officials that work in school systems then? How about Gary Hammonds? He was a long time coach for Knott but yet still calls games. I am sure there are other officials working as well that work in school systems.
That’s a good point.
I think active AD is little different than coach that use coach but no longer does and umpires. Have no problem with that. But he is Active AD and regardless that shouldn’t happen. If want to do 15 th region that fine .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Statebound19's post:
  • Night Train
(05-23-2024, 12:12 AM)Bulldog717 Wrote:

(05-22-2024, 05:15 PM)Night Train Wrote: Yeah getting out of hand after the catcher followed Bellamy down to 1st base. Bush league move but Wolfe won’t miss Wilson being out. Mcwhorter kid is a much better hitter anyway. 

That play was the only ground ball fielded up to that point. Pointing all the blame on the catcher as Bellamy is known for his attitude not only in baseball but basketball as well. I will admit the catcher was in the wrong as well as Bellamy and both should have been ejected, but you can’t put all the blame on the catcher. Browning let the game get out of hand early it was just a matter of time before something happened.
There were several ground balls hit in that game before that play and the catcher stayed at home plate. Are you saying the catcher suppose to wait until the ball is fielded and then start running to 1st? lol too late to move then. The Wilson kid runs like he has concrete in his boots, its not gonna do him any good to run to 1st base. He had a motive and his target was Bellamy. Wolfe always has a sacrificial lamb in their back pocket
(05-23-2024, 09:12 AM)Night Train Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 12:12 AM)Bulldog717 Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 05:15 PM)Night Train Wrote: Yeah getting out of hand after the catcher followed Bellamy down to 1st base. Bush league move but Wolfe won’t miss Wilson being out. Mcwhorter kid is a much better hitter anyway. 

(05-22-2024, 05:52 PM)Bulldog717 Wrote: The catcher followed the play like any other catcher would do backing up the throw. Bellamy got up and started towards Wolfes first baseman starting the whole altercation.
There were several ground balls hit in that game before that play and the catcher stayed at home plate. Are you saying the catcher suppose to wait until the ball is fielded and then start running to 1st? lol too late to move then. The Wilson kid runs like he has concrete in his boots, its not gonna do him any good to run to 1st base. He had a motive and his target was Bellamy. Wolfe always has a sacrificial lamb in their back pocket
Being from Breathitt county is like being in a cult. You make it so obvious you’re from Breathitt Co, because in the eyes of a Breathitt man no other Breathitt man is in the wrong. Both kids were in the wrong and deserved to be ejected but Bellamy caused just as much of it as Wilson did. I also don’t get the sacrificial lamb? Wilson played a huge role in them beating us last year in the regional tournament.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldog717's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse
I agree with a lot said about the game, but the fact all that went down was just terrible for the players. Wolfe / Breathitt was going to be a good battle anyways, but people focus more on the negative than positive. BC smacked Wolfe in the first with hits, then WC came back with the HR balls, made it 4-3… My opinion is Bellamy got frustrated and lost his cool in the bottom of the 3rd when he struckout Molands who hit a bomb on him his previous at bat. You can see Bellamy make a hand gesture towards WC side, and BC’s catcher yells towards WC side . Top 4, Bellamy and Wilson exchange words, BC bench came into field ) if this is basketball those players would be ejected) Eddie B warns both sides. Wilson follows play up the line, Bellamy is mad because he got out and the Shortstop pumps his fist , Bellamy goes towards them. Wilson puts in his words. I believe both deserve to be put out of the game, but also agree Eddie B should not be behind the plate in this game. Eddie is not a WC man nor a BC man.

Region is wide open, going in as a loser now is not that bad for Wolfe , we shall see when draw comes out. If Hazard loses their district , arguably the top 4 teams go in as losers.
Stay on point… You said Wilson goes down the line on every ground ball which is not true. You could hear Wilson talking trash as Bellamy left the box after contact. Should have been an automatic ejection by Eddie right there but he chose to let it escalate all the way to first base. Like I said before Wolfe will not miss Wilson in the least bit but without Bellamy Breathitt is up against the wall
Guys correct me if I’m wrong.

From what I’m gathering. Lucas Miller lives in Wolfe County and is the one that assigns the umpires for 14th region games.

Eddie Browning is the athletic director at Hazard High School.

So basically Wolfe County gets to hand pick their officials every game. Eddie Browning is basically getting paid to be a scout for Hazard. He gets to see every pitcher & hitter in the region all season long.

Can we not get a better system than this for the 14th region athletes ? At least give them out of region officials for the tournaments.
(05-29-2024, 11:49 AM)Chubby Smith Wrote: Guys correct me if I’m wrong.

From what I’m gathering. Lucas Miller lives in Wolfe County and is the one that assigns the umpires for 14th region games.

Eddie Browning is the athletic director at Hazard High School.

So basically Wolfe County gets to hand pick their officials every game. Eddie Browning is basically getting paid to be a scout for Hazard. He gets to see every pitcher & hitter in the region all season long.

Can we not get a better system than this for the 14th region athletes ? At least give them out of region officials for the tournaments.
There was a time whenever you’d get different officials from other regions for the postseason. I feel like that should be an easy thing to do again. The shortage shouldn’t affect that as much I would think. If Wolfe gets to pick their officials then yeah that’s a little crazy. Just for this situation though I think making sure another school’s AD isn’t behind the plate should be a no brainer. Ha!!! Is Wilson the kid that hit the HR in the region last year?