Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11 year old suspended for wearing anti-obama shirt!
Tomcat68 Wrote:I think there is a big difference between a rival sports team and such a statement. Students would clamor about the sports for about 2 minutes and say "so and so this" or "so and so that" and it would be a laugh and be over while such a bold political statement brings up a wide variety of topics covering the entire election and candidates involved.

Overall I believe the biggest difference is the amount of time that would be wasted on the clothing. A couple of minutes is fine which is what I believe a sports shirt would cause. This style of political shirt could easily disrupt an entire class for 30+ minutes while bringing out much harsher reactions, rebuttals, and consequences.

I completely disagree with you. On the contrary, I believe the sports shirt would cause much more of a disruption than a political shirt.

For one thing, do you really think that many of our nation's high school students are so interested in politics to even care about such a shirt? I don't. A couple students would probably laugh and say, "Yeah, Obama sucks." And a couple would get offended and say "Obama isn't like that!" And after a couple of minutes, that would be the end of it, unless the teacher kept the discussion going. The overwhelming majority of the class wouldn't care one bit about a political shirt, whether it was anti-Obama or anti-McCain.

On the other hand, I would bet that someone wearing a shirt of a rival sports team would be the talk of the school the whole day. He would be whispered about behind his back, and several students would probably confront him directly, "Why are you wearing a shirt like that?" They might even try to rip it off of him or deface it. Trust me, people get pretty heated around here when it comes to sports.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]