Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Obama Destroying the Democrat Party?
When Barack Obama was sworn into office, Democrats held a 7 point lead in the generic ballot survey taken by Rasmussen, in which voters are asked which party's Congressional candidate would get their vote.

A little more than one year later, Republicans have a 7 point lead in the same survey, and among likely voters with no party affiliation, Republicans enjoy a 45-25 bulge.

Is Obama's radical left wing agenda most responsible for the Democrats' decline or are Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid most to blame for not getting Obama's agenda through Congress?

Quote:[INDENT]Generic Congressional Ballot
Republicans Lead By Seven on Generic Ballot

Republican candidates lead Democrats by seven points in the latest edition of the Generic Congressional Ballot.

The new national telephone survey shows that 45% would vote for their district’s Republican congressional candidate while 38% would opt for his or her Democratic opponent. Voter support for GOP congressional candidates is down one point from last week, while support for Democrats is up a point.[/INDENT]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:When Barack Obama was sworn into office, Democrats held a 7 point lead in the generic ballot survey taken by Rasmussen, in which voters are asked which party's Congressional candidate would get their vote.

A little more than one year later, Republicans have a 7 point lead in the same survey, and among likely voters with no party affiliation, Republicans enjoy a 45-25 bulge.

Is Obama's radical left wing agenda most responsible for the Democrats' decline or are Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid most to blame for not getting Obama's agenda through Congress?
Ask democratic candidates in New Jersey, Virginia, and Massachusetts how they received the official "kiss of death" after an active Obama endorsement when he hit the campaign trails on their behalfs.

The man sure can give a speech, can't he?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2FQyevc-i0&feature=related"]YouTube- mmmm...pie[/ame]

This just in...exclusive video of key democrats during a recent retreat discussing the future of their party.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN3zacj_umU&feature=channel"]YouTube- The Post-American Bandstand with Pat Boone[/ame]

:blabbermo Some good advice for dear leader. Confusedhh:
I won't say he has destroyed the party just yet, but he has brought them to their lowest point in many years. On the bright side he still has three years to finish the job. :biggrin:
Old School Wrote:I won't say he has destroyed the party just yet, but he has brought them to their lowest point in many years. On the bright side he still has three years to finish the job. :biggrin:

:lmao:

that was so funny.
American history is dotted with times like this, when economic panic and vitriol come to the forefront. FDR used the term "economic royalists" to stir up anger. Andrew Jackson, dubbed "King Mob" after his inauguration , filled the White House lawn with angry populists. Between the demise of the Whig Party and the consolidation of the modern Republican Party under Lincoln came a nativist movement of "Know Nothings" (as they called themselves)...or the "Lou Dobbs Party"... to the rise of the "People's Party," a movement of Southern and Western farmers and miners united in opposition to railroad speculators.... at any rate, it is a historical terrain where populism slides into a kind of nativist paranoia... the paranoid style in American politics. It is the backdrop for the Tea Party movement. It is both new and not new at all.
Lyrics from a folk song sung at Tea Party Movement rallies:

Take it back,
Take our country back.
Our way of life is now under attack.
Draw a line in the sand, so they all
understand
And our values stay intact.
Take it back.

I am assuming that "they" is the political class in Washington, but mostly progressives and liberals. Although, one can envision lyrics of this sort being sung by Hitler youth with "they" being the Jews.... or sung by white sheeted Klansmen with "they" being blacks and Jews and Irish Catholics... or sung by young rebels in Rwanda as they wade in the blood of "they." Human history suggests that the demonization of "they" is a very slippery slope, a slope made steep with nativist paranoia, and used with wicked deftness by the ruthless of all ages.
I am beginning to suspect that Obama is intentionally undermining his fellow Democrats' chances of hanging on to control of the House. If Democrats are in control of the House during the 2012 election, Obama will have a much tougher time winning in November without anybody but Bush to blame for all of his failures. He needs some new scapegoats to supplement his ongoing "blame Bush" strategy.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am beginning to suspect that Obama is intentionally undermining his fellow Democrats' chances of hanging on to control of the House. If Democrats are in control of the House during the 2012 election, Obama will have a much tougher time winning in November without anybody but Bush to blame for all of his failures. He needs some new scapegoats to supplement his ongoing "blame Bush" strategy.

Is he also responsible for IHOP putting fewer chocolate chips in their pancakes? No, no, Hoot, you're not a hack, not at all.
thecavemaster Wrote:Is he also responsible for IHOP putting fewer chocolate chips in their pancakes? No, no, Hoot, you're not a hack, not at all.
Continue your partisan, personal insults if you want, CM, but do not doubt that many Democrats in Congress are not asking themselves the same question that I have raised here. As soon as Reid and Pelosi decide that the November elections are a lost cause, you will see some heavy criticism of Obama from Congressional Democrats - and you can take that to the bank. You can also count on me to point out that I told you so when it happens.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Continue your partisan, personal insults if you want, CM, but do not doubt that many Democrats in Congress are not asking themselves the same question that I have raised here. As soon as Reid and Pelosi decide that the November elections are a lost cause, you will see some heavy criticism of Obama from Congressional Democrats - and you can take that to the bank. You can also count on me to point out that I told you so when it happens.

Say something positive about Barack Obama, Hoot. Prove your fair mindedness. The history of first term, mid-term elections is what it is. I think Americans like divided branches and don't trust unified ones... or so it seems.
thecavemaster Wrote:Say something positive about Barack Obama, Hoot. Prove your fair mindedness. The history of first term, mid-term elections is what it is. I think Americans like divided branches and don't trust unified ones... or so it seems.
He has a nice rotation on his jumpshot?

Give an example of what you feel should receive an amen.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:He has a nice rotation on his jumpshot?

Give an example of what you feel should receive an amen.

Oh, I see, I have to give the example. Yes, yes, that certainly eases my qualms about you guys fair mindedness. Had it had a chance to develop, I think the Bush emphasis on faith based initiatives would have proven significant in this nation.
thecavemaster Wrote:Oh, I see, I have to give the example. Yes, yes, that certainly eases my qualms about you guys fair mindedness. Had it had a chance to develop, I think the Bush emphasis on faith based initiatives would have proven significant in this nation.

No, to be real honest, I have tried to think of one thing that he has gotten involved in that hasn't ultimately turned into be one giant cluster. Just need for you to jog my memory on one particular instance, is all.
thecavemaster Wrote:Say something positive about Barack Obama, Hoot. Prove your fair mindedness. The history of first term, mid-term elections is what it is. I think Americans like divided branches and don't trust unified ones... or so it seems.
I agree with Obama's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan (except for his tardy response for more troops). It was a wise decision to stick with the Bush/Cheney play book for Iraq and to reinforce the troops in Afghanistan.

The electoral Armageddon awaiting Congressional Democrats this fall may open a new chapter in American political history. Unless Democrats pull a rabbit out of their collective hat, 2010 will make 1994 seem like the good old days.
thecavemaster Wrote:Oh, I see, I have to give the example. Yes, yes, that certainly eases my qualms about you guys fair mindedness. Had it had a chance to develop, I think the Bush emphasis on faith based initiatives would have proven significant in this nation.
I disagree. The government should not be involved in religious charities...period. Bush should have worked to keep government spending in check and taxes low. If the government leaves more disposable income in the hands of taxpayers, charities can flourish and meet peoples needs just fine without the federal government playing middle man.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I agree with Obama's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan (except for his tardy response for more troops). It was a wise decision to stick with the Bush/Cheney play book for Iraq and to reinforce the troops in Afghanistan.

The electoral Armageddon awaiting Congressional Democrats this fall may open a new chapter in American political history. Unless Democrats pull a rabbit out of their collective hat, 2010 will make 1994 seem like the good old days.

Weren't those decisions a direct contradiction to his previous statements?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Weren't those decisions a direct contradiction to his previous statements?
Why yes, Mr. Kimball, I believe that they were. :biggrin:

I never believed that Obama would pull troops out of Iraq prematurely and lose the war. No president wants to be remembered for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Aside from the far left wing of the Democrat Party, I do not think anybody believed Obama's promise for a speedy withdrawal from Iraq.

However, Obama did refer to the war in Afghanistan as the "necessary war," so I think that he has kept that promise for the most part. I still do not understand why he waited more than three months to make a decision to send more troops there.

Obama may not be able to distinguish between a Marine "corpsman" from a "corpse," but he apparently recognized a winning strategy when he took office and just followed the path that Bush and Cheney laid out for him in Iraq. :biggrin: