Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama Talks Tough!!!!.....Will He Carry A Big Stick?
"We'll Use Military, Obama Warns Gadhafi"

I thought that the most adamant "Bush Basher" of all might be interested in this statement from our glorious leader.

Here's the ball to you, Wildcat23!!!! Explain how this is different than going after Saddam Hussein for exterminating hundreds of thousands of his own people?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com./id/42145571/ns...?GT1=43001
There is one major difference that I noticed is that UN voted to do this, where as the resolution for the Iraq war was voted down.

However, I am in the believe that it is none of our business and we should bring back all troops and close down bases in 90 countries in the world. Secure our boarders and planes. I disagree with the Bush policy as well as the Obama policy, I wish we would listen to our Founding Fathers and follow their example. I am referring to what Washington told the people of France following our Revolution.
Too little, too late. If Obama had wanted Gaddafi out of power and saved rebel lives, he should have led instead of followed on this issue. Gaddafi does not need his Air Force to slaughter the rebels that his forces have cornered. Once again Carter II has made us look extremely weak and indecisive to our enemies, and just as importantly, to our allies.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Too little, too late. If Obama had wanted Gaddafi out of power and saved rebel lives, he should have led instead of followed on this issue. Gaddafi does not need his Air Force to slaughter the rebels that his forces have cornered. Once again Carter II has made us look extremely weak and indecisive to our enemies, and just as importantly, to our allies.

I agree we should just nuke the area
tvtimeout Wrote:I agree we should just nuke the area
Then you agree with somebody besides me. It is too late for a "no fly zone" to help anybody in Libya.

It will be an expensive symbolic act that will accomplish nothing at this point. The time for a no-fly zone (if the time was ever right) was when rebels were knocking at the gates of Tripoli.

The Democrats' incessant criticism of Bush's decision to invade Iraq without the blessing of Russia, China, etc., have effectively tied Obama's own hands. Politically, he cannot do anything but march to the orders of the UN.
I agree with you! I really do respect your opinions. Might disagree with you, but respect them non the less.

I again point out bring everyone home... let the world take care of itself and we take care of ourselves.
tvtimeout Wrote:There is one major difference that I noticed is that UN voted to do this, where as the resolution for the Iraq war was voted down. However, I am in the believe that it is none of our business and we should bring back all troops and close down bases in 90 countries in the world. Secure our boarders and planes. I disagree with the Bush policy as well as the Obama policy, I wish we would listen to our Founding Fathers and follow their example. I am referring to what Washington told the people of France following our Revolution.

While that may be true, in this case that is totally irrelevant. You have to know the history of Wildcat23's incessant Bush Bashing posts on this subject to understand my direction here. You being in your rookie season here, are not quite up to speed in what I'm talking about. You'll soon find out though, if he responds.
I am starting to get the picture, another true ideolog... not much can ever be accomplished dealing with people that are that way, I don't care if they are from the right or the left. They will never see any good in the other side or understand their perspective.
This isn't anything like going after Saddam.

I don't think ground forces should be deployed into Libya unless it's with the U.N. or we use Special Operations Forces and just kill Gaddafi. It really wouldn't be all that hard..

And I agree with Hoot, a no-fly zone won't keep Gaddafi from killing rebels if that's what he wants to do. It'd only put a small dent into it.

Also, believe it or not, 99% of soldiers and Marines are against U.S. action in Libya. I'm against it unless it's for the sole reason of killing Gaddafi and helping the rebels get an interim government set-up.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Too little, too late. If Obama had wanted Gaddafi out of power and saved rebel lives, he should have led instead of followed on this issue. Gaddafi does not need his Air Force to slaughter the rebels that his forces have cornered. Once again Carter II has made us look extremely weak and indecisive to our enemies, and just as importantly, to our allies.
I just can't see why we have to be the world's police.

To answer the OP, I guess he "walked the walk", that he said he would.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/...9064.story
TheRealVille Wrote:I just can't see why we have to be the world's police.

To answer the OP, I guess he "walked the walk", that he said he would.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/...9064.story
We should not be the worl's police force - but the President of the United States needs to be decisive and show some leadership regardless of what decision he reaches. Obama failed miserably in that regard. Listen to his speech explaining the reasons for this action and then ask yourself why this country has never intervened in Darfur, applying the same justification.

The US should only use military force when it is in our own national interest. The Libyan rebellion is a lost cause and it is not in our national interest to back the losing side as Gaddafi's mercenaries eliminate the last pocket of resistance.
I say screw anything going on anywhere else in the world period!
Lets worry about our own problems and let other people deal with theirs.
This will just be another money racket that will go in deficit for.
If were going to do this, we might as well take over the country completely and start up shop running our own oil rigs over there.
Completely stupid IMO.
Bolt Wrote:I say screw anything going on anywhere else in the world period!
Lets worry about our own problems and let other people deal with theirs.
This will just be another money racket that will go in deficit for.
If were going to do this, we might as well take over the country completely and start up shop running our own oil rigs over there.
Completely stupid IMO.
:Thumbs:
Bob Seger Wrote:"We'll Use Military, Obama Warns Gadhafi"

I thought that the most adamant "Bush Basher" of all might be interested in this statement from our glorious leader.

Here's the ball to you, Wildcat23!!!! Explain how this is different than going after Saddam Hussein for exterminating hundreds of thousands of his own people?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com./id/42145571/ns...?GT1=43001

I stated in the other thread. This is stupid. We should not be there.

Although the status quo has changed. This will take a huge hit to obamas approval rating.

Myself, Im tired of worrying about everybody else in the entire world. Fix your **** here then vacation there.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:We should not be the worl's police force - but the President of the United States needs to be decisive and show some leadership regardless of what decision he reaches. Obama failed miserably in that regard. Listen to his speech explaining the reasons for this action and then ask yourself why this country has never intervened in Darfur, applying the same justification.

The US should only use military force when it is in our own national interest. The Libyan rebellion is a lost cause and it is not in our national interest to back the losing side as Gaddafi's mercenaries eliminate the last pocket of resistance.

Agreed.

There are many civil wars, Its not our problem. If the government dont get there stuff together there gonna have much bigger problems.
tvtimeout Wrote:There is one major difference that I noticed is that UN voted to do this, where as the resolution for the Iraq war was voted down.

However, I am in the believe that it is none of our business and we should bring back all troops and close down bases in 90 countries in the world. Secure our boarders and planes. I disagree with the Bush policy as well as the Obama policy, I wish we would listen to our Founding Fathers and follow their example. I am referring to what Washington told the people of France following our Revolution.
?
Resolution 1441 stated that Iraq was in material breach of the ceasefire terms presented under the terms of Resolution 687. Iraq's breaches related not only to weapons of mass destruction (WMD), but also the known construction of prohibited types of missiles, the purchase and import of prohibited armaments, and the continuing refusal of Iraq to compensate Kuwait
On November 8, 2002, the Security Council passed Resolution 1441 by a unanimous 15-0 vote; Russia, China, France, and Arab countries such as Syria voted in favor, giving Resolution 1441 wider support than even the 1990 Gulf War resolution.
This Resolution ultimately lead to the Iraq War
Are the Democrats ready to eat one of their own?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/23/av...tml?hpt=T1

Left's view on Libya: Is this Bush's third term?
Congressman Dennis Kucinich is talking impeachment. Ralph Nader is grumbling that the president of the United States is a "war criminal." Michael Moore is venting his spleen on the subject of U.S. hypocrisy.
What's different is that the president provoking the professional protest crowd this time is a Democrat

:thatsfunn I guess it's easy to rule from the outside. When the reality of the situation is now yours to make it's a little harder and less popular.
nky Wrote:Are the Democrats ready to eat one of their own?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/23/av...tml?hpt=T1

Left's view on Libya: Is this Bush's third term?
Congressman Dennis Kucinich is talking impeachment. Ralph Nader is grumbling that the president of the United States is a "war criminal." Michael Moore is venting his spleen on the subject of U.S. hypocrisy.
What's different is that the president provoking the professional protest crowd this time is a Democrat

:thatsfunn I guess it's easy to rule from the outside. When the reality of the situation is now yours to make it's a little harder and less popular.

Although im totally against this war. Its stupid and we have no issue being there.

Do you guys love to see him fail?

Thats not pro-american,
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Although im totally against this war. Its stupid and we have no issue being there.

Thats not pro-american,
Yes I love to see Obama fail when what he proposes grows the federal government exponentially, balloons the annual budget deficit for many years beyond his term in office, etc. It is not patriotic to support political initiatives that one knows inflict heavy damage on his country.

However, when it comes to military action, regardless of whether I agree with the President's action or not, I will never wish failure on any president for political reasons. Doing so requires loss of lives among the men and women who serve in our military and there is no excuse for any American to wish for their own nation's defeat on the battlefield. Yet many do, and liberals' political tactics against President Bush during wartime were shameful.

For example, Obama gave Congressional leaders less than 24 hours notice before the attacks began on Libya. Bush worked for months to build a much larger coalition to invade Iraq and had a much stronger legal footing to do so. Where is the outcry from liberals about the War Power Act? Where are the call from liberals to try Obama as a war criminal? Although there are a handful of liberals in Congress calling for Obama's impeachment (they are to be commended for their consistency, if for nothing else), most liberals in Congress are supporting the invasion of Libya or keeping their mouths closed.

It was wrong for the unfair attacks that were made upon Bush, Rumsfeld, et al. during the last administration and it would be wrong for Republicans to actively undermine the Libyan actions for political gain. (Respectful, honest differences of opinion are never wrong in a representative republic.)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Yes I love to see Obama fail when what he proposes grows the federal government exponentially, balloons the annual budget deficit for many years beyond his term in office, etc. It is not patriotic to support political initiatives that one knows inflict heavy damage on his country.

However, when it comes to military action, regardless of whether I agree with the President's action or not, I will never wish failure on any president for political reasons. Doing so requires loss of lives among the men and women who serve in our military and there is no excuse for any American to wish for their own nation's defeat on the battlefield. Yet many do, and liberals' political tactics against President Bush during wartime were shameful.

For example, Obama gave Congressional leaders less than 24 hours notice before the attacks began on Libya. Bush worked for months to build a much larger coalition to invade Iraq and had a much stronger legal footing to do so. Where is the outcry from liberals about the War Power Act? Where are the call from liberals to try Obama as a war criminal? Although there are a handful of liberals in Congress calling for Obama's impeachment (they are to be commended for their consistency, if for nothing else), most liberals in Congress are supporting the invasion of Libya or keeping their mouths closed.

It was wrong for the unfair attacks that were made upon Bush, Rumsfeld, et al. during the last administration and it would be wrong for Republicans to actively undermine the Libyan actions for political gain. (Respectful, honest differences of opinion are never wrong in a representative republic.)

I'm wondering the same thing.
vundy33 Wrote:I'm wondering the same thing.
All of the unfair allegations that liberals made against Bush and his administration regarding the Iraq War would hit closer to the truth in this case, yet there is mostly silence from the left. That is a good thing, IMO, but it is a shame that they were too immature to act as adults when Bush went to far greater lengths to build a national consensus prior to the Iraq invasion.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Although i am totally against this war. Its stupid and we have no issue being there.

That's not pro-American,
It's not about pro-American or anti-American. It's not about failing or success. It's right or wrong. We don't belong in Libya. It's not in our interest. Using President Obama logic we should be bombing Sudan, North Korean, Iran and about a dozen other places where the government is attacking their civilian population
nky Wrote:It's not about pro-American or anti-American. It's not about failing or success. It's right or wrong. We don't belong in Libya. It's not in our interest. Using President Obama logic we should be bombing Sudan, North Korean, Iran and about a dozen other places where the government is attacking their civilian population

I agree. Of course you cant forget about the Chinese and the Tiananmen Square incident, or Mao's basic murder of an estimated 70 million Chinese citizens during his reign. However in turn we buy everthing that can be made from them while they use basic slave labor. Heck lets not forget we also let them hold a mortgage on our entire country by borrowing from them for what we cant pay for ourselves. How's that for logic? How about that for hypocricy? Where's our fearless leader's outrage over China's human right's violations?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:All of the unfair allegations that liberals made against Bush and his administration regarding the Iraq War would hit closer to the truth in this case, yet there is mostly silence from the left. That is a good thing, IMO, but it is a shame that they were too immature to act as adults when Bush went to far greater lengths to build a national consensus prior to the Iraq invasion.

Are you listening Wildcat?
Bob Seger Wrote:Are you listening Wildcat?

Have u not seen me post 5 times that its stupid for us to be there? Jesus, WE SHOULD NOT BE THERE. PERIOD.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Have u not seen me post 5 times that its stupid for us to be there? Jesus, WE SHOULD NOT BE THERE. PERIOD.

Lighten up Goober!!! That's not even what I was talking about. I was just riding you a tad over your previous Bush bashing. Nothing to get worked up over. Take a chill pill!!
Bob Seger Wrote:Lighten up Goober!!! That's not even what I was talking about. I was just riding you a tad over your previous Bush bashing. Nothing to get worked up over. Take a chill pill!!

Come on now kimball. We all know u cant handle the talking. I was just stating the same thing ive been stating.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Come on now kimball. We all know u cant handle the talking. I was just stating the same thing ive been stating.

??? You lost me. I was kidding with you junior, why the smartness?
Bob Seger Wrote:??? You lost me. I was kidding with you junior, why the smartness?

Was a joke back pops
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Was a joke back pops

That would be Mr. Pops to you.:biggrin: