Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iran Threatens to shut the Strait of Hormuz
Iran has threatened that it will retaliate against the Obama administration's proposed new economic sanctions on Iran's oil exports by blocking the flow of oil from the Persian Gulf.

Should we be concerned? Is this saber rattling? Will the administration back down?
by the way Iran has started a 10-day naval exercise in the Persian Gulf to show off how it could use small speedboats and a barrage of missiles to combat America's naval armada
nky Wrote:Iran has threatened that it will retaliate against the Obama administration's proposed new economic sanctions on Iran's oil exports by blocking the flow of oil from the Persian Gulf.

Should we be concerned? Is this saber rattling? Will the administration back down?

According to the US Navy, it won't be tolerated.

Quote:The U.S. Navy said Iran's threat to block the strategically and economically important Strait of Hormuz is unacceptable.
"The free flow of goods and services through the Strait of Hormuz is vital to regional and global prosperity," Navy 5th Fleet in Bahrain spokeswoman Cmdr. Amy Derrick Frost told reporters on Wednesday.
"Anyone who threatens to disrupt freedom of navigation in an international strait is clearly outside the community of nations; any disruption will not be tolerated."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/28/world/...index.html
The US Navy will defend itself but will the administration put restrictions on it's ability to do so?

It will be interesting to see if we follow through with sanctions against Iran. They are a threat in the region and the rhetoric that's been coming from the government of Iran over the last few years is disturbing
nky Wrote:The US Navy will defend itself but will the administration put restrictions on it's ability to do so?

It will be interesting to see if we follow through with sanctions against Iran. They are a threat in the region and the rhetoric that's been coming from the government of Iran over the last few years is disturbing
They say not. I don't think it will come to that. Iran is just playing their typical games, as usual. When push comes to shove, they will crawl back in their hole.
This might be part of the message the administration is sending to Iran.

Quote:The United States has completed a $29.4 billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia, the Obama administration announced today, saying the deal "will support more than 50,000 American jobs."

The sale may also be seen as a message to Iran.

Under the agreement signed by the governments of each country, the United States will provide advanced F-15SA combat aircraft to the Royal Saudi Air Force.

The sale comes amid U.S. and Saudi concerns about the military intentions of Iran.

The Saudis are concerned about Iranian efforts to influence events in Iraq, which is on the Saudi border; the U.S., meanwhile, has cautioned Iran against any effort to close the Strait of Hormuz to oil transport traffic, saying "any disruption will not be tolerated."

Iran's government warned this week it might restrict the Strait of Hormuz if Washington levies new sanctions targeting Iran's crude exports over concerns about its nuclear program.

In announcing the new arms deal with Saudi Arabia, White House spokesman Josh Earnet said: "Valued at $29.4 billion, this agreement includes production of 84 new aircraft and the modernization of 70 existing aircraft as well as munitions, spare parts, training, maintenance and logistics."

"These F-15SA aircraft, manufactured by the Boeing Company, are among the most sophisticated and capable aircraft in the world," Earnest said.

Earnest also said in a statement:

"This agreement will positively impact the U.S. economy and further advances the president's commitment to create jobs by increasing exports.

According to industry experts, this agreement will support more than 50,000 American jobs, engaging 600 suppliers in 44 states, and providing $3.5 billion in annual economic impact to the U.S. economy.

This agreement reinforces the strong and enduring relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia, and demonstrates the U.S. commitment to a strong Saudi defense capability as a key component to regional security."

The Associated Press cited the strategic aspects of the aircraft deal:

The fighter jet sale is part of a larger 10-year, $60 billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia that also includes helicopters, a broad array of missiles, bombs and delivery systems, as well as radar warning systems and night-vision goggles. Congress gave the deal the go-ahead about a year ago.

The plan initially raised concerns from pro-Israeli lawmakers, but U.S. officials reassured Congress that Israel's military edge would not be undercut by the sale. Additionally, there is now broad agreement among Israel, the Gulf Arab states and the West that Iran poses a significant and unpredictable threat.

Saudi Arabia and Iran are bitter regional rivals. Tensions between them were further stoked earlier this year after the U.S. accused Iran of plotting to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the U.S. in Washington earlier this year.

Saudi Arabia is already the most militarily advanced of the Arab Gulf states, one of the richest countries in the world, and central to American policy in the Middle East. It is also vital to U.S. energy security, with Saudi Arabia ranking as the third-largest source of U.S. oil imports.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...o-saudis/1
Not sure why Iran would pull something like this. With Saudi Arabia and Isreal enemies of theirs and backed by the US, it would lead to their demise if they began a war.
Boeing is a huge corporation with offices and factories in several countries, which makes me wonder if the contact will be fulfilled by American factories or factories in other countries.
Old School Wrote:Boeing is a huge corporation with offices and factories in several countries, which makes me wonder if the contact will be fulfilled by American factories or factories in other countries.
Who knows? It says American 50,000 jobs, though. I find it hard to believe that American fighter jets would be produced outside of America, though.
I remembered reading an article about the Air Force accepting bids from EADS which is located in France. I also read where the military can accept bids from foreign countries as long as the factories are located in the United States. I'm not sure EADS has factories in the States.

The U.S. Air Force sparked controversy with its February decision to award a $35 billion contract, one of the Pentagon’s largest, to French company European Aeronautic Defence & Space (commonly known as EADS) and American partner Northrop-Grumman (NOC). The move raised the issue of whether the military should be allowed to accept bids from foreign companies for defense contracts.

http://www.businessweek.com/debateroom/a...iotic.html
Old School Wrote:Boeing is a huge corporation with offices and factories in several countries, which makes me wonder if the contact will be fulfilled by American factories or factories in other countries.
It probably will not be fulfilled in South Carolina or in any other right to work state if the Obama administration has anything to say about it.

If Iran tries to close the Straits of Hormuz, its navy will quickly find itself submerged. Wars are good politics, and I don't think that Obama will pass up an opportunity to boost his poll numbers while taking justifiably strong actions if Iran follows through on its threat.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It probably will not be fulfilled in South Carolina or in any other right to work state if the Obama administration has anything to say about it.

If Iran tries to close the Straits of Hormuz, its navy will quickly find itself submerged. Wars are good politics, and I don't think that Obama will pass up an opportunity to boost his poll numbers while taking justifiably strong actions if Iran follows through on its threat.

No doubt that everything will be built by the unions.

Barry can sure use a boost with his poll numbers and a short skirmish could help.
Old School Wrote:No doubt that everything will be built by the unions.

Barry can sure use a boost with his poll numbers and a short skirmish could help.
You are a dumbass, just like Hoot.
TheRealVille Wrote:You are a dumbass, just like Hoot.

Look who is calling someone a dumbass. Have you looked in a mirror lately?
Iran's leaders are so so stupid. They know that our 5th Fleet could absolutely destroy their entire Navy by itself, not to mention other assets that would be brought down on them.

They remind me of Saddam. Have to act tough and do stupid shit like this just to keep the small amount of supporters they still have...they won't close a thing.
Seems like Iran is just trying to save face with its people and not look as weak as they really are. I mean come on, small speadboats to combat America's Navy??? Show me the Youtube video of that when it happens.

Besides, the president of Iran stated that the Halocaust was a lie.....it is because of stupid statements like this the US isn't going to take him too seriously.
This is what these idiots like to do in their little bass boats...

This is the Iranian version of the events from a camera in their boat. The guy behind the camera is trying to get the guy on the radio to talk "tougher" to us, and he's talking about how much he'd like to "attack" us, lol.

I can't believe they weren't shot. They should be thanking God they're still alive. I've only been on a boat once, but I know how serious they take any small watercraft around their boats with what happened to the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000. If they hadn't established radio contact and came that close, I'm sure that that US warship would've sent a few 20mm High Explosive rounds their way.
vundy33 Wrote:This is what these idiots like to do in their little bass boats...

This is the Iranian version of the events from a camera in their boat. The guy behind the camera is trying to get the guy on the radio to talk "tougher" to us, and he's talking about how much he'd like to "attack" us, lol.

I can't believe they weren't shot. They should be thanking God they're still alive. I've only been on a boat once, but I know how serious they take any small watercraft around their boats with what happened to the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000. If they hadn't established radio contact and came that close, I'm sure that that US warship would've sent a few 20mm High Explosive rounds their way.

A can of "OFF" might be all it would take to take care of those gnats.
Old School Wrote:Look who is calling someone a dumbass. Have you looked in a mirror lately?
Of course they are going to be built union, Boeing is a union company, except the SC plant, and even some of them are union. Not to mention, that the Dreamliner is the plane that is built in SC.
Old School Wrote:No doubt that everything will be built by the unions.

Boeing St. Louis is a union company.
TheRealVille Wrote:You are a dumbass, just like Hoot.
I should and do apologize for calling you a dumbass. It just set me off that I know you are against unions(my way of making a living), and at the same time coal miners complain about people that want to do away with coal mines(which I don't as long as it's done clean and right), which is your way of making a living. It's a double standard that you don't see. There's plenty of room in this world for union and non-union, especially since the union workforce is just around 10%.
Of course they do not like union's because they do not have the backbone

Then they get it there fifty' s and look around where's my pension

Then they see union workers with there pension and insurance and

They want to take there's away
In the first of the year the labor board will not make no decision because

The party of scabs will not let Obama put his judges in there
TheRealVille Wrote:Of course they are going to be built union, Boeing is a union company, except the SC plant, and even some of them are union. Not to mention, that the Dreamliner is the plane that is built in SC.

TheRealVille Wrote:Boeing St. Louis is a union company.

According to this article Boeing is not the only contractor involved in this deal, Silorsky Aircraft part of United Technologies will be supplying Black Hawk helicopters.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-new...on-dollars

TheRealVille Wrote:I should and do apologize for calling you a dumbass. It just set me off that I know you are against unions(my way of making a living), and at the same time coal miners complain about people that want to do away with coal mines(which I don't as long as it's done clean and right), which is your way of making a living. It's a double standard that you don't see. There's plenty of room in this world for union and non-union, especially since the union workforce is just around 10%.

I admit I don't like unions as they are today, while I've never worked in a union controlled mine I have worked with several miners who have. Of these miners only two or three went back to the union and their only reason for doing so was get their time in for the union medical card. All of the other miners said they would never go back to a union mine.

With that being said, unions started by looking out for the men/women and if it had stayed that way I would probably give more support to the unions, but that has not happened. Unions could care less about the employee, they are only worried about expanding their war chest and gaining more power. One has to look no futher than the UMWA, various teacher unions and city unions along with the UAW to see how they are breaking the system. I realize that all unions do not operate the way those do, but the ones I mentioned give other unions a bad name.

vector Wrote:Of course they do not like union's because they do not have the backbone

Then they get it there fifty' s and look around where's my pension

Then they see union workers with there pension and insurance and

They want to take there's away

?????
Old School Wrote:According to this article Boeing is not the only contractor involved in this deal, Silorsky Aircraft part of United Technologies will be supplying Black Hawk helicopters.

I admit I don't like unions as they are today, while I've never worked in a union controlled mine I have worked with several miners who have. Of these miners only two or three went back to the union and their only reason for doing so was get their time in for the union medical card. All of the other miners said they would never go back to a union mine.

With that being said, unions started by looking out for the men/women and if it had stayed that way I would probably give more support to the unions, but that has not happened. Unions could care less about the employee, they are only worried about expanding their war chest and gaining more power. One has to look no futher than the UMWA, various teacher unions and city unions along with the UAW to see how they are breaking the system. I realize that all unions do not operate the way those do, but the ones I mentioned give other unions a bad name.

?????
I can agree with this.
Old School Wrote:According to this article Boeing is not the only contractor involved in this deal, Silorsky Aircraft part of United Technologies will be supplying Black Hawk helicopters.

?????
One other thing I didn't mention, I don't see a need for unions in the public sector. I never have.
If unions were still set up as they were intended to be, people would have a much better outlook and opinions of unions.
People are literally getting robbed of money by paying union dues when a lot of times, unions do absoloutly nothing for the workers. That however, falls on the workers for keeping the union and not voting it out.

I literally worked for a place when i was still in college that said if you all vote for a union, we'll pad lock the doors and shut down. They knew with the rising demands of unions expecting way to much pay for employees, would be the downfall of there small little money maker.

IMHO, theres some companies that take advantage of there employess becuase there employees have no control what so ever and if they dont like you, theyll find a reason to fire you.
While on the flip side, unions make you pay your dues when they are essentially doing nothing for the workers, or demanding so much that the company cant simply afford it.
Two extremes on both sides.
Unions can only work well in businesses that have strong management teams to provide a balance of power, IMO. Early in my engineering career, I worked at quite a few UMWA surface and underground mines and coal preparation plants for one of the nation's largest coal companies. The labor relations at some of those operations were as good as at any non-union operation that I have ever worked. Other operations, often located only a few miles away, made me dread having to go to work in the morning.

The thing that I noticed about UMWA mining operations at an early age was that where management and the union stuck closely to the contract, everybody was much happier than at operations where management, with the best intentions, established "past practices" that became an extension of future contracts. At a couple of operations where labor relations were especially bad, the binder containing these past practices that were in effect dwarfed the actual contract and were the source of many grievances.

Things as simple as offering people overtime in emergencies became needlessly complex. For example, in one case there were three large stockpiles of coal. For one stockpile, if overtime was required, we had to call the members of one local, for another stockpile, we had to offer overtime to a second local only. For the third stockpile, we had to offer half of the overtime to one local and half of the overtime to the second local. Add that to the fact that we had to try to balance the overtime among members of each local, and what should have been as simple as looking at a list and calling somebody in to work became a complicated procedure with a small margin for error.

The other thing that weakly managed companies do is that they make large concessions to avoid work stoppages when business is good without giving much thought to what will happen during a recession. For union shops to work well, both sides need strong, fair negotiators at the bargaining table.

IMO, these are the reasons that public sector unions are always a bad idea. The unions always hold the upper hand in negotiations because the elected officials and the bureaucrats that negotiate the terms of contracts are rarely held accountable for making bad deals. I cannot recall an election where overly generous union contracts were a campaign issue, yet those contracts are bankrupting governments around the country and taxpayers are paying the price. Public sector unions and work stoppages should be illegal in all cases.