Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Dunbar's Mike Wainscott to retire
Paul Laurence Dunbar Head Coach Mike Waintscott is retiring.

Mike Wainscott has been a high school coach in Lexington for so long his career has spanned seven U.S. presidents. His longevity might be better appreciated by sports fans if it was noted that Wainscott's first season on the sidelines came five years before ESPN was launched.

Wainscott started as a football assistant at Tates Creek in 1974. He's been involved in at least one sport in Fayette County public schools ever since. But Wainscott, who has coached softball at Paul Laurence Dunbar the last 15 seasons, is ready to call it quits.

"I still enjoy the heck out of it, but it's just time," said Wainscott, 62. "I could keep going, but something's telling me I need to step aside."

Wainscott has enjoyed success at all his stops over the last 38 years.

As an assistant under Roy Walton at Tates Creek for 15 seasons, he was part of the Commodores' 1978 state at-large championship team.

When Dunbar opened in 1990, Wainscott was part of Mike Meighan's football staff. He was there for the Bulldogs' strong run in the mid-1990s, including a state runner-up finish to Nelson County in '96. That post-season produced what Wainscott said might be his biggest highlight in coaching. In the region title game, Dunbar led perennial power Boone County 14-10 when the Rebels had a first down on the Dunbar 1-yard line with a little more than a minute left. Wainscott, the defensive coordinator, watched the Bulldogs stuff Boone County on four straight plays and preserve the victory.

"Mike is one of the most competitive human beings ever, no matter what," Meighan said.

When Meighan retired after the 2000 season, Wainscott left football, too.

Wainscott coached boys' track at Dunbar for eight years. '"I didn't know a thing about track, but I was able to get football players out there, and they did a good job. My last four years, we won the region twice and were runners-up twice."

Wainscott, who played baseball at Henry Clay and the University of Kentucky, took over Dunbar's fast-pitch softball team in 1998. He's coached the Bulldogs to six district titles, and a region championship in 2005.

Midway through his career he also found time to serve as a baseball assistant at Henry Clay for one season, and as Jessie Clark Middle School's football coach for two years.

Wainscott, who retired from teaching in 2002 but still fills in as a substitute at Dunbar, obviously has coaching in his DNA. "It's just who I am. It's just what I do," he said. "I've always enjoyed working with young people, and enjoyed the relationships I've had with all the coaches I've worked with."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/05/03/21749...rylink=cpy
Nice guy but they needed a change.....
I don't know the guy, never met him but since 2002 he went 241-115, he has 5 District Titles and 1 Regional Title and your gonna say they need a change? Have you forgotten that the 11th Region is one of the toughest?
Strike again you know NOTHING about fastpitch... You need to stick to something you know.. you don't follow fastpitch you probably have never been to a game of fastpitch... Well maybe one or two... How many games other than in your hometown have you been to? There team is very young this year and do you know why? NO you don't I do... Nothing against him.. he is a good guy.. There assistant is running the show this year.. do you know who she is and her background? I'll give you time to look it up cause I know you will have to. How many games have you seen Dumbar play this year or in the past? How many games have you seen the 11 region play this year? You need to stay out of softball because you know nothing about it. Again he is a good person (I know him) but it's just time for a change. ( i love how these people talk fastpitch and they have never been to a game outside there own city... lol lol)
and just because of that you think that they need a change?

How many teams do you follow because you sure do like bashing people?
I don't follow just one team... I follow all teams high school, college, summer teams. I don't bash I just tell you like I see it and I have seen alot of fastpitch over the years. Stikeout King you need to change your name to Suckup King because your the bigest suckup i have ever seen. Is there one coach you don't agree with? I like Mike he is a good guy but Dumbar needs a change just like Lafayette needed.
did you not read the earlier post? I said I don't know him nor ever met him but you always do this. You say this about every team. If Rick Roberts decided to retire at Allen County would you say they needed a change? What about Shane Weaver at Lafayette, if he decided to retire would you say Lafayette needed a change? or what about Alan Jones at Ballard, if he retired, would you say that Ballard needed a change? Probably because that's all you do
see again you don't know what your talking about... this thread was about Mike not Shane or Rick or none of them.... Shane is in first year at Lafayette so why would he leave after one year??? They needed a change and brought Shane in. A good choice. Shane knows fastpitch and keeps studying the game. Rick and Alan, Josh there all are very good coaches and they know the game of fastpitch... See if you would ask about certain people I'll tell you what I think.. you may like it or not I can't help that. Shoot some people don't like me but one thing they will tell you that I'll be honest with you. I didn't think I was bashing Mike just thought it was time for a change. have you ever heard of coaches leaving to get a change in there life. I just thought it is a good move for the program. Just like Tubby leaving Uk and so on. It happens in coaching. But you need to learn about fastpitch. Oh just to let you know Josh is the coach at Mercy also coaches 16u sluggers.. very good coach.. personaly I don't like him but he is a good coach....
You never said change in his life you just said change.