Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaron Gordon commits to Arizona
Looks like he'll pick tomorrow.
UK is on his short list of four schools and is one of two recruits left UK is targeting.

CHICAGO – The University of Kentucky men’s basketball team has a record six McDonald’s All-Americans. The Wildcats would like to add at least one more to their recruiting class that’s already ranked far and away as the nation’s best.

Top-ranked basketball prospect Andrew Wiggins – the No. 1 recruiting target of the University of Kentucky who has UK in his final four – said Monday after practice for the McDonald’s All American games that he has no idea when he’ll make his college decision.

Another five-star target, California power forward Aaron Gordon, who also has UK as one of four finalists but is considered a significantly longer shot to pick the Cats – will let everyone know on Tuesday at the McDonald’s media day the college choice he made privately a month.

Gordon, a high-flying power forward who is down to Arizona, Oregon, Washington and UK, said he already has committed to the coach of the team he’s chosen but has kept his decision secret so that he could announce it for himself in front of the media and avoid rumors and leaks on Twitter.

Gordon has long been thought of as a player most likely to end up in the Pacific-12, and he think people would consider it a surprise if he picked UK.

“There’s already six recruits, so it would be a pretty big surprise, but you never know,” he said.

Gordon said he’s intrigued by the level of competition that could Kentucky – a contender for the preseason No. 1 ranking in 2013-14 – could offer in practice every day.

He said each workout at UK would be essentially like a McDonald’s All American practice “but much more structured” and “10 times more intense.”

“(UK) is so competitive, and it’s obviously a national contender,” he said. “There’s so many people going there that every day would almost be an NBA type practice.”

UK landed McDonald’s All American Julius Randle – a power forward like Gordon – a couple weeks ago, but Gordon said his pledge makes the Cats more appealing, not less.

“Me and Julius on the same team would be kind of hard to stop,” he said.

Randle, for his part, wasn’t sure which schools Gordon was down to.

When informed of the four finalists, Randle predicted Arizona.

Indeed, those Wildcats are strong contenders who landed Gordon’s former AAU teammates Brandon Ashley last year.

As for Wiggins, who is down to UK, Kansas, North Carolina and Florida State, he remained his usual soft-spoken self on Monday and declined to offer many details about what will be the key factors in his decision.

He said he has thought about the possibility of joining forces with UK’s six other McDonald’s All-Americans. He said the other Kentucky commitments have tried to recruit him this week.

“I’ve thought about it because that’s one of choices in deciding where to go,” he said. “It would be a great feeling and be great to play all around other good players.”

Wiggins said he hasn’t decided if his will come before the spring signing period that begins on April 17 or wait until May.

UK coach John Calipari visited Wiggins last week “and wanted to show his face.”

Asked whether Randle’s recent commitment made UK more or less appealing, Wiggins said. “It’s always good to add another player to the roster. Julius is a good player, unselfish. I wouldn’t mind playing with him.”

Wiggins and Randle are teammates on the McDonald’s East team this week, and Randle, an immensely skill ball-handler and passer for a player of his size, set Wiggins up multiple times for baskets in Monday’s practice.

What has been Randle’s recruiting pitch to Wiggins?

“Pass him the ball out here,” Randle said. “Be like, ‘This is what you’ll get next year.’”
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recruit...w-wiggins/
Gordon isn't leaving the left coast.
Wiggins knows UK is the best place for him, he just has to summon the courage to make the right decision, meaning being in the spotlight 24/7. A task for a quite guy like himself. He's the next big thing in basketball. He would be Cals crown jewel of recruits.
Aslan Wrote:Gordon isn't leaving the left coast.
Wiggins knows UK is the best place for him, he just has to summon the courage to make the right decision, meaning being in the spotlight 24/7. A task for a quite guy like himself. He's the next big thing in basketball. He would be Cals crown jewel of recruits.

Good post.
And, welcome to the site.
If you need help with anything just let a mod know!
^
No prob.
If you have any problems, just let Dusty know!
Welcome back from Narnia sir.
Gordon is a long shot! But i thought Terrance Jones was a long shot when we recruited him from the west coast!!!!
Arizona. Just now!!!!

Steve Jones @Steve Jones_CJ 1m
Gordon: I hopes Tuscon's celebrating because I'm about to be a West Coast Wildcat.
No surprise here.

He will make a Blake Griffin-type impact. He'll have POY numbers and be a consensus First Team All-American. In turn, Arizona will be a good but not great team (probably top 25-50 team) and probably have nothing higher than a Sweet 16 ceiling in next year's NCAA Tournament.

Gordon also likely goes 1-3 in the 2014 NBA Draft.
Knew we wouldn't get him. Aslan was spot on.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Knew we wouldn't get him. Aslan was spot on.

Did this news disappoint a lot of people? Anyone who followed Gordon's recruitment knew UK was probably the last hat he would have picked up out of the four that were on his press table. I don't think Aslan deserves all the credit here for calling this one. LOL
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Did this news disappoint a lot of people? Anyone who followed Gordon's recruitment knew UK was probably the last hat he would have picked up out of the four that were on his press table. I don't think Aslan deserves all the credit here for calling this one. LOL

I disagree.

A lot of UK insiders think that UK had a much better shot with Gordon than most think. It's just that the staff decided to go all in on Wiggins within the last month.

I think if Wiggins had announced for FSU, UNC, or Kansas during the season that UK's chances with Gordon were good. He may still have chose Arizona, but it would've been really close.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I disagree.

A lot of UK insiders think that UK had a much better shot with Gordon than most think. It's just that the staff decided to go all in on Wiggins within the last month.

I think if Wiggins had announced for FSU, UNC, or Kansas during the season that UK's chances with Gordon were good. He may still have chose Arizona, but it would've been really close.

It was known (and echoed several times by recruiting gurus and people that followed Gordon's recruitment) that he was just about assuredly going to stay on the West Coast. I'm not sure what UK insiders you're talking about, but the one's I listen to say he was always a "long shot at best." Think about it. Did you ever really hear anything UK news related to him since his visit last Fall? I'm talking quotes from him, coaches, recruiting analysts, etc.

The Wiggins recruitment had very little do with UK not getting him.
Really not much of a surprise on him saying out west!! I always thought UK getting him would be a long shot..
outdoorsman43 Wrote:No surprise here.

He will make a Blake Griffin-type impact. He'll have POY numbers and be a consensus First Team All-American. In turn, Arizona will be a good but not great team (probably top 25-50 team) and probably have nothing higher than a Sweet 16 ceiling in next year's NCAA Tournament.

Gordon also likely goes 1-3 in the 2014 NBA Draft.

You're kidding, right? Arizona is a top 5-10 team next year and definitely the best team on the west coast. Definitely an early final four favorite.

Regarding Gordon, he is the most athletic player in the class, and will consistently be in the sportscenter top 10. Would've loved to have him and I believe he would have fit in well.
Wish he would have signed with UK but oh well, gotta move on.