Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best Team In History.
Somerset
82 (9-1) missed 2pt Conv kept them out of playoffs...beat eventual State Champs on their field 20-6

83 ineligible receiver penalty on OL away from State Title (Beat one of the best NCC teams ever in Semis)

09 (14-1) Coach quits 11 days prior to season and team runs to the finals
Jumper Dad Wrote:Somerset
82 (9-1) missed 2pt Conv kept them out of playoffs...beat eventual State Champs on their field 20-6

83 ineligible receiver penalty on OL away from State Title (Beat one of the best NCC teams ever in Semis)

The '82 team was 10-1 and yes, lost one game by 1 point, so no playoffs. The '83 team was 14-1, and then in '84, they went 13-1. Most Jumper fans consider one of those three the "best ever."

Gotta give some love to the 1916 team, too, though . . . still the only Somerset squad to finish a season undefeated (7-0-1). Three eventual college All-Americans were on that roster.
^Finally Somerset has a scribe on this site. Props OJ.
mysonis55 Wrote:As for Mayfield, I would say a toss up between 2002 and 2010. You can watch videos of them at mayfieldcardinals.net. I'm not as good at this stuff as thunder is, but you can go to that site to watch them. That team did look like they pretty well had it all. Congrats to Pikeville for that one.

I would disagree, the 78 Cardinals were undefeated and voted the best team in KY that year in any class and for good reason. A noteable win was against E St Louis IL. who at the time was #1 ranked in their class.

I would vote 02 and 10 as both being great candidates for #2
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:I would disagree, the 78 Cardinals were undefeated and voted the best team in KY that year in any class and for good reason. A noteable win was against E St Louis IL. who at the time was #1 ranked in their class.

I would vote 02 and 10 as both being great candidates for #2

Mayfield's '78 team was DOMINANT and easily the best Cardinal team I've ever seen. Somerset lost to them in the title game, 22-6, and it really wasn't even that close.

I've also had the pleasure of speaking with long-time, legendary Mayfield head coach Jack Morris a few times over the years, too, and he seems to agree.
The 1994 Danville Admirals were pretty darn freakish.

There were a couple of plays that kept Somerset from winning that game. There was also the broken play where we had the QB sacked and he broke free to complete a long TD. While I agree the better team did not win the finals, in all fairness, Newport should have won in the semis.

[QUOTE=Old Jumper;The '82 team was 10-1 and yes, lost one game by 1 point, so no playoffs. The '83 team was 14-1, and then in '84, they went 13-1. Most Jumper fans consider one of those three the "best ever."

Gotta give some love to the 1916 team, too, though . . . still the only Somerset squad to finish a season undefeated (7-0-1). Three eventual college All-Americans were on that roster. [/QUOTE]

IMO, the '83 team would have between the other two head-to-head.
1975 and 1990 Ashland teams were two of the best to ever come out of this area and would have been an epic game. The 1975 team's defense was so physical and talented and the 1990 team's backfield was probably the best I have ever seen out of this area. Juan Thomas could run around or over a defender, Hutt was a speedster and Johnson was a load too. Just a couple of amazing teams.
The best team in Sheldon Clark history would be the 2000 team, and followed by '99, '09, '98, '05 or '02. Teams that I can remember being wow'd by over the years: *Note that there are many years I didn't attend the state finals.

Highlands 1998-Hands down best team I've ever seen.
Covington Catholic 2006-Probably could have won 4A that year
Belfry 2004-2nd straight state championship & one of the best backfields this state will ever see.

Somerset/Boyle game in 82 one of the best games I ever saw.
64Jumper ('81-'84) Wrote:For Somerset, I would have to say the 1983 and 1984 teams, of course. :-)

I thought the '82 Jumper team was the best Somerset squad I ever saw. I think they were the best team in AA that year.
64black&gold Wrote:Somerset/Boyle game in 82 one of the best games I ever saw.

Depends on your perspective, of course. For me, it was one of the worst games I ever participated in. :-)
64Jumper ('81-'84) Wrote:Depends on your perspective, of course. For me, it was one of the worst games I ever participated in. :-)

I understand your pain.

Still felt that the line and the offense for the Jumpers that year were consistent and awesome.
Hatz Wrote:I thought the '82 Jumper team was the best Somerset squad I ever saw. I think they were the best team in AA that year.

We really are splitting hairs, and it may be tough for me to be objective having played on al three teams. But, from my perspective all were very talented teams and the '83 version maybe had the least amount of talent. But, the '83 squad had a very tough and determined set of seniors that provided tremendous leadership, and were special for that reason alone. But, yeah, the '82 squad pretty much proved they were the best in AA that year.
Boyle County's best team was 2000. So much future college talent and great HS talent on that squad.

Beyond that I don't know how to rank the Rebel teams.

2001 was a super offense and great defense.
2003 was unbeaten and beat HHS twice and defeated a very talented Paducah Tighlman squad.

2009 was the best of the first three years for French. Great defense that season.
64Jumper ('81-'84) Wrote:We really are splitting hairs, and it may be tough for me to be objective having played on al three teams. But, from my perspective all were very talented teams and the '83 version maybe had the least amount of talent. But, the '83 squad had a very tough and determined set of seniors that provided tremendous leadership, and were special for that reason alone.

I can't argue that. I would say the bolded is probably the difference between '83 in the finals and '84 not being. I thought the '82 team did everything they needed to win vs. Boyle but make one play. That was a tough one to come away from for you guys.

Felt the same pain in '80 in the slop at Russell Springs.
Hatz Wrote:I understand your pain.

Still felt that the line and the offense for the Jumpers that year were consistent and awesome.

No doubt. But hey, Boyle County came ready to play and earned it on the field. That's why they play the games!
Hatz Wrote:I would say the bolded is probably the difference between '83 in the finals and '84 not being.

I really can't "go there". But, it sounds like you have an educated opinion, and I will leave it at that. :-)

Hatz Wrote:Felt the same pain in '80 in the slop at Russell Springs.

Sorry, man!
Patch Wrote:1975 and 1990 Ashland teams were two of the best to ever come out of this area and would have been an epic game. The 1975 team's defense was so physical and talented and the 1990 team's backfield was probably the best I have ever seen out of this area. Juan Thomas could run around or over a defender, Hutt was a speedster and Johnson was a load too. Just a couple of amazing teams.
That 1990 Ashland team was the best HS football that I have seen. If memory serves me correctly, the QB was no slouch as a runner either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]