Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitney Creech clinched the title!
Ladies and gentleman, 59 points tonight and beat the high record with a free throw!!
Congratulations to a great career and for a big win for your school tonight
What was the record she broke tonight? I couldn't hear the PA guy.
Yea. Pretty classy of the PCC band to play during the presentation.
All time leading scorer in the nation for girls if I heard right
She won't be recognized as the all-time leading scorer. It doesn't count anything, but 4 years of high school. Jamie Walz had 4900+ points in her career but is only recognized nationally as having less than 3900.
Yea ky recognizes all years played but nationally only recognizes what you did 9-12
Creech is the all time leading scorer for both BOYS and GIRLS.
She is in ky but not nationally.
She would be if nfhs would recognize her points while she was middle school age but they dont for some reason. Idk why
There's been a lot of talk going around about this, but Whitney Creech unfortunately did not break the national scoring record.

Obviously, she can fill it up and is the most prolific scorer I've ever seen in my life, but the national record only takes into account points scored while you were actually enrolled in high school.

That means any record-holder at the national level also had their grade school and/or middle school points omitted from their total as well. She's about 900 off from the national record right now.

Regardless of the record, I'm looking forward to seeing if the Cavs can make their way to the Sweet 16. I think they have a pretty good shot at it.
Pretty impressive displays on those national lists..Eastern,Ky is well represented on several of them.
Eurostep413 Wrote:Ladies and gentleman, 59 points tonight and beat the high record with a free throw!!

Congratulations to her Smile
Great career
zaga_fan Wrote:There's been a lot of talk going around about this, but Whitney Creech unfortunately did not break the national scoring record.

Obviously, she can fill it up and is the most prolific scorer I've ever seen in my life, but the national record only takes into account points scored while you were actually enrolled in high school.

That means any record-holder at the national level also had their grade school and/or middle school points omitted from their total as well. She's about 900 off from the national record right now.

Regardless of the record, I'm looking forward to seeing if the Cavs can make their way to the Sweet 16. I think they have a pretty good shot at it.

So, the points that kids would score in a high school game while still in junior high, Beverly and Justice for example, are NOT counted? Is that what you are saying....that you must attend (enrolled in) high school and not just play for the team?

If that's true, I call complete and total BS.

After all, it's difficult enough to play on the high school level for many kids. Somebody that can come from the 7th or 8th grade AND score in a HS level game, deserve to get those points counted...JMO
The problem is that most states do not allow middle school students to play high school basketball.
They shouldn't here either!! Let kids be kids! Just like college 4 years only!!
Zaga nailed it.

The national rankings only account for the four years you are in high school.
The real story is somebody else scored 900 more points than her the same amount of years

:yikes:
She amazing player !!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Zaga nailed it.

The national rankings only account for the four years you are in high school.
The real story is somebody else scored 900 more points than her the same amount of years

:yikes:

Nice story. Where is the link and the proof of that?
Its all on NFHS website. under records.
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:Nice story. Where is the link and the proof of that?

Here's a link about the girl.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/pr...mark_x.htm

Again, we're talking about really exceptional talents here.
zaga_fan Wrote:Here's a link about the girl.

How many points has anyone scored that are minimizing creech accomplishments. She is a kid,that has had a great basketball career and has done something no one else in KY has done.

She ended up with over 5400 points for her career in four years..
I see why a lot of folks don't like it and I don't really understand it either but the national rankings don't count anything other than HS on their records..Even this girl who has 5400 points dosnt hold the all time average per game/career record..
Whitney has had an incredible career and hopefully it will continue in college..Hopefully shes makes it on to the sweet 16..
sportsfan84 Wrote:How many points has anyone scored that are minimizing creech accomplishments. She is a kid,that has had a great basketball career and has done something no one else in KY has done.

No one wants to minimize anything Whitney Creech has done.
If anyone does, they probably have some personal issues they need to work out.

The link was posted because someone actually asked for it.

I just felt the need to clear up the confusion.
She's the leading scorer in the state and she deserves all the accolades that come with it. Hopefully a Miss Basketball is in her future.

But saying she's the nation's all-time leading scorer is false.

Go Cavs.
Blacksmith Wrote:She ended up with over 5400 points for her career in four years..
I see why a lot of folks don't like it and I don't really understand it either but the national rankings don't count anything other than HS on their records..Even this girl who has 5400 points dosnt hold the all time average per game/career record..
Whitney has had an incredible career and hopefully it will continue in college..Hopefully shes makes it on to the sweet 16..

4 years she has been playing high school ball since she was in the 7th grade, WYMT did a segment about her playing as a 7th grader, so to say she broke all those records in 4 years is false, give Geri Grigsby and King Kelly Coleman 6 years and a 3 pt shot she wouldn't have came close, she is a nice player but can you blame Jenkins not playing her as a 7th grader she was all they had...

Thanks! I thought I had heard about a girl somewhere scoring that many but didn't know if it was for just 4 years or not.

I'm still enjoying keeping up with Creech. Someone like that from such a small school being successful warms your heart.
Creech is a great kid, student and ball player. No one can argue that. I've watched the kid grow up and her accomplishments are unbelievable. I wish her the best in her college career and in the state tourney. After watching the Powell / Jenkins game tonight I left with a bitter sweet taste. I was happy for Creech, but felt bad for the Lady Pirates Seniors. There was absolutely no way Jenkins was going to lose. Those who doubt need to watch the game on tape. That game was decided before either team made it to the gym. Leslie save your school the gas money and bus driver fee tomorrow and stay in Hyden, because Univ. of Tenn couldn't keep Jenkins out of the state tournament. Its really not fair to all the other seniors, but that's just the way it is. Still a Creech fan!!!!!!!