Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Bases Cut
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100108/ap_o..._base_cuts

I hate to see someone sent to war and his family left behind by themselves. Alot of the money spent on these bases are to provide support to the families of deployed soldiers. The community centers give the kids somthing to do. Not to mention the young soldiers not deployed. They provide education assistance and mental health/stress centers. I would rather see the money spent on this than on a WWII museum built for political gain. I would rather spend my tax dollars on the families of soldiers than on crack heads going to college too.
Happens everytime we have a Liberal Congress
Matman Wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100108/ap_o..._base_cuts

I hate to see someone sent to war and his family left behind by themselves. Alot of the money spent on these bases are to provide support to the families of deployed soldiers. The community centers give the kids somthing to do. Not to mention the young soldiers not deployed. They provide education assistance and mental health/stress centers. I would rather see the money spent on this than on a WWII museum built for political gain. I would rather spend my tax dollars on the families of soldiers than on crack heads going to college too.

I agree. I would much rather see our tax money spent for this than used to keep batman up!!! :biggrin::Clap:
Matman Wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100108/ap_o..._base_cuts

We should be thankful that most liberals have stopped spitting on soldiers returning from war. OTOH, many of those who spat on our soldiers in the 60s and 70s are now tenured college professors or "serving" in our government.
There must be somthing in DC's water supply, because anytime someone runs for the senate, house or even the presidency their campaign is awlays centered around respondsible spending. Once elected they are like kids in a candy store.

Our past and present military deserve better benefits.
Did you all even read the article? They are cutting spending on garbage and lawn mowing and open hours at the rec centers. You right wings ***** about not sending more troops to Afgan, then when then have to cut military spending to support sending more troops there, you *****.

Quote:FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. – Soldiers and their families on Army bases around the country could see cutbacks in trash pickup, lawn-mowing and other services as the military tries to hold down non-war spending while escalating the fight in Afghanistan.

Even as total defense spending rises, the portion of the Army budget dedicated to running its bases is down 20 percent this year, according to figures provided to The Associated Press by an Army official who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about them.

The budgets for individual bases are not yet final. But the proposed cuts vary in size and run as deep as 40 percent at some major installations, including Fort Campbell, according to the figures.

Fort Campbell, the home of the 101st Airborne Division, is considering eliminating lawn-mowing and janitorial services and shortening hours at recreation centers, Fort Campbell spokeswoman Kelly Tyler said. But that may not be enough, she said.
TheRealVille Wrote:Did you all even read the article? They are cutting spending on garbage and lawn mowing and open hours at the rec centers. You right wings ***** about not sending more troops to Afgan, then when then have to cut military spending to support sending more troops there, you *****.

The only Garbage that needs to be cut is the garbage that is running the Whitehouse and Congress
Stardust Wrote:The only Garbage that needs to be cut is the garbage that is running the Whitehouse and Congress
No answer, nuff said.
RV....I wonder what they mean by saying other services? What about these comments from the same article?

Some members of the military are worried money will be pulled from programs that help spouses and children cope with soldiers' repeated tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Army posts provide many of the services that soldiers and their families have come to rely on, including child and youth programs, continuing education, dining and recreational facilities and help with overcoming drug and alcohol abuse.
Lynch said that certain services, such as police and fire protection, will be fully funded and that the Army is committed to continuing family-focused programs, such as child care. He did not specify where cuts would be made.

Some of the Army's biggest posts, where soldiers have completed four and five combat tours since the wars began, are facing significant spending reductions, according to the figures obtained by the AP.
Old School Wrote:RV....I wonder what they mean by saying other services? What about these comments from the same article?

Some members of the military are worried money will be pulled from programs that help spouses and children cope with soldiers' repeated tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Army posts provide many of the services that soldiers and their families have come to rely on, including child and youth programs, continuing education, dining and recreational facilities and help with overcoming drug and alcohol abuse.
Lynch said that certain services, such as police and fire protection, will be fully funded and that the Army is committed to continuing family-focused programs, such as child care. He did not specify where cuts would be made.

Some of the Army's biggest posts, where soldiers have completed four and five combat tours since the wars began, are facing significant spending reductions, according to the figures obtained by the AP.
But, the only cuts specified are in garbage, lawn mowing and reduced rec center hours. Don't read more into it than what it says , for now.
TheRealVille Wrote:But, the only cuts specified are in garbage, lawn mowing and reduced rec center hours. Don't read more into it than what it says , for now.

How am I reading more into it when the article clearly states other services. No one knows what this means, but since they are wanting to cut between 20% to 40% I'm sure it would be substantial.

"Soldiers and their families on Army bases around the country could see cutbacks in trash pickup, lawn-mowing and other services."
The money to buy votes for the health care reform "bills" has to come from somewhere. Liberals always short the military to buy the votes of the parasites who put them into office. Buying the votes of US House and Senate members are a little more expensive than those of the average freeloader, so our troops must pay the price. Obama is Carter squared.

The gyms and rec centers are hardly ever open as it is, theres no way they could cut the hours down any lower.

And everyone just pray they don't cut funding on the food they have in the chow halls, it sucks bad enough as it is.
A Soldier who is away from his family for extended periods of time deserves to know that his / her family is safe and well cared for. If a soldier is worried about his family's well being, he has lost focus on his job. THIS IS NOT GOOD WHEN LIVES ARE AT STAKE. Really, it is not good for either the soldier or his family. Cuts should be made elsewhere, like social services and make those on 5th generation wellfare start doing their share...maybe they can start doing lawns and janitorial services on military bases in return for 'their' checks.
Joe Friday Wrote:A Soldier who is away from his family for extended periods of time deserves to know that his / her family is safe and well cared for. If a soldier is worried about his family's well being, he has lost focus on his job. THIS IS NOT GOOD WHEN LIVES ARE AT STAKE. Really, it is not good for either the soldier or his family. Cuts should be made elsewhere, like social services and make those on 5th generation wellfare start doing their share...maybe they can start doing lawns and janitorial services on military bases in return for 'their' checks.

:rockon::worthy::thanks:
Joe Friday Wrote:A Soldier who is away from his family for extended periods of time deserves to know that his / her family is safe and well cared for. If a soldier is worried about his family's well being, he has lost focus on his job. THIS IS NOT GOOD WHEN LIVES ARE AT STAKE. Really, it is not good for either the soldier or his family. Cuts should be made elsewhere, like social services and make those on 5th generation wellfare start doing their share...maybe they can start doing lawns and janitorial services on military bases in return for 'their' checks.
Now seriously... that would be too much like work! :biggrin::HitWall:
TheRealVille Wrote:Did you all even read the article? They are cutting spending on garbage and lawn mowing and open hours at the rec centers. You right wings ***** about not sending more troops to Afgan, then when then have to cut military spending to support sending more troops there, you *****.

This statement tells me how little you actually know about our military and military post. Rec centers will include education centers as well. It also includes child care services. I know the article says Rec Center. But its MWR....Morale, Welfare and Recreation. Its an umbrella over a vast variety of services. Most of which help families of soldiers over sees. Whos going to teach their kids and help them with their homework while their moms or dads ( and sometimes both) are over sees fighting for our country. I believe we should pay the bill. And its not just their yards getting cut. I know what it says but these funds aren't seperated like that. Its base maintance and grounds up keep. Some of the jobs are done by soldiers. But when bases are depleted of bodies due to deployments they have to contract it out. Those are the contracts they are trying to save money on. Alot of the military have programs in place that Obama wants for the rest of the country. How is he going to implement them into general population without being to implement it into the few who choose to serve. Things he has said are important such as health care, education, after hours programs for children, and the enviroment. These are all areas of importance to the administration.
You're right...

Fort Campbell has more troops deployed than I've seen since I've been here, which has only been 10 months. Out of the four BCT's, (Brigade Combat Teams), 1st BCT is in Iraq, 3rd BCT, my brigade, is deploying at the end of the month to the Helmund and Kunar Provinces in Afghanistan, and 4th BCT is going to Iraq sometime this summer. The 5th Special Forces Group is currently deployed also. Thats around 7-8,000 troops gone right there.
Well Im not going to pretend to know anything about living on a military base, however I love the statement that someone made about making the check drawers earn their money. Take them out of their government assisted home a weekend a month, send them to the military bases, and have them do maintence work. As far as what all goes on in the REC facilities, I have no idea, so I wont even pretend to know. So with that said,
I want to personally thank all of our military personnel, past and present for the contributions you are making or have made. Regardless of your political views, which may be different than mine, is beyond the point. Thank you so much for your sacrifice, and may God bless you and protect those that are currently fighting, and those that will be deployed. I know this is a cliche that you hear all the time, but you all are the true heroes, past and present. Thank you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Well Im not going to pretend to know anything about living on a military base, however I love the statement that someone made about making the check drawers earn their money. Take them out of their government assisted home a weekend a month, send them to the military bases, and have them do maintence work. As far as what all goes on in the REC facilities, I have no idea, so I wont even pretend to know. So with that said,
I want to personally thank all of our military personnel, past and present for the contributions you are making or have made. Regardless of your political views, which may be different than mine, is beyond the point. Thank you so much for your sacrifice, and may God bless you and protect those that are currently fighting, and those that will be deployed. I know this is a cliche that you hear all the time, but you all are the true heroes, past and present. Thank you.

+1 :Thumbs:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kcUE1b6tg"]YouTube- "Where Freedom Flies" by Diana Nagy[/ame]

The military always pulls together and takes care of its own in times of cuts and hard times. This is a tribute to you / them!

Confusedalute: I love this country!!!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:We should be thankful that most liberals have stopped spitting on soldiers returning from war. OTOH, many of those who spat on our soldiers in the 60s and 70s are now tenured college professors or "serving" in our government.
Agree 100% there brother!