Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville College Basketball????
New head coach Kelly Wells has already turned ALOT of heads with his recruiting. He has now signed 7 players from the 15th region which is one of the weakest regions in the state if not the weakest. How good will Pikeville be, can they be a contender.

Your thoughts please.
I strongly agree with the way Coach Wells is controlling things. I think recruiting players around the region is terrific for the community and our surrounding areas. It's great to see him turn the program around to the way it should've been all along. I'd much rather lose games with local kids who want to play the game and develop as players, than to win with players who have been dismissed from other major colleges due to academics or are convicts. McCoy started the whole mess, hopefully Wells will clean it up....and the way things are looking, he's definitely headed in the right direction....
As I said in the other.

JV team is what I'm hearing, let the locals develop/prove they want to be there, sign bigs to go with local gaurds.

Good decision
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:New head coach Kelly Wells has already turned ALOT of heads with his recruiting. He has now signed 7 players from the 15th region which is one of the weakest regions in the state if not the weakest. How good will Pikeville be, can they be a contender.

Your thoughts please.

Who are some of the players that you are posting about?
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:I strongly agree with the way Coach Wells is controlling things. I think recruiting players around the region is terrific for the community and our surrounding areas. It's great to see him turn the program around to the way it should've been all along. I'd much rather lose games with local kids who want to play the game and develop as players, than to win with players who have been dismissed from other major colleges due to academics or are convicts. McCoy started the whole mess, hopefully Wells will clean it up....and the way things are looking, he's definitely headed in the right direction....

I'm not saying I don't like the idea about getting local players, I would rather support them myself. All I am trying to say is why don't he recruit some in the Lexingon, Richmond, Louisville and Frankfort areas also.
If you recruit players out of eastern KY you will never be able to contend with teams like Georgetown
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:I'm not saying I don't like the idea about getting local players, I would rather support them myself. All I am trying to say is why don't he recruit some in the Lexingon, Richmond, Louisville and Frankfort areas also.

You're exactly right. I hope he starts with the local boys and expands his recruiting around the state. Nonetheless, I love how Coach Wells is turning things around.
Told everybody that he would do this..HE loves getting kids from the area that he is at..People can say what they want about who he is getting, but at least he is giving these mountain boys a chance instead of getting hand me down thugs from wherever!
He isn't trying to win a National Title in year 1. Everything has to have a foundation and if he finds 2-3 kids out of the ones he is recruiting/already signed, he has done something great.

If you think he is just going to sign local kids then your crazy, he will get some D-1 transfers BUT it will be guys who just didn't want to sit the bench, not ones who have been in jail/kicked out of school/thug types.

Gaurd play isn't the problem with getting 13/14/15/16th region kids, as we have gaurds that can contribute at the NAIA level pretty much every year, its the bigs, 6'6"-6'10" kids, that is the problem in recruiting local. I heard that he wanted the McCown kid from Morgan Co. but got in late on recruiting. He is also faced with the problem of just filling a roster because a lot of last years players wither left, flunked out, or will not be asked back. Add to the fact that I am as good as some of the kids that finished up the year starting then you realize that all these kids are an upgrade in talent.

I wish everyone would stop bashing, Coach Wells has had great success and know the college game as well as basketball, I hope the football prgram follows suit, but from what I heard doubt it.
I don't think anyone is bashing, I for one am glad that he is getting local players. It sure beats all the other players up there in the past when I was there. They never attended class, acted like morons, and the dorm I stayed in was right with the basketball team and it smelled like a snoop dog concert from all the pot they were smoking. Its good to get players at a program that want to play, do the things coaches ask them to do, and be respectful at all times. I give the man an A, for the way he is starting things out. IDK who all is going to be on his staff, hopefully some new ones, because the others from McCoy's tenure partied with students and bought grades for their players.
PHSCARD Wrote:I don't think anyone is bashing, I for one am glad that he is getting local players. It sure beats all the other players up there in the past when I was there. They never attended class, acted like morons, and the dorm I stayed in was right with the basketball team and it smelled like a snoop dog concert from all the pot they were smoking. Its good to get players at a program that want to play, do the things coaches ask them to do, and be respectful at all times. I give the man an A, for the way he is starting things out. IDK who all is going to be on his staff, hopefully some new ones, because the others from McCoy's tenure partied with students and bought grades for their players.

Basketball was bad....but not as bad as football in all the above.....
Yes, I agree with you on that. The local boys on the football team, were very respectful, a lot of the out of state players abused a lot of the privaledges that most area boys would die for. I'm just glad to see the scholarship money going to kids in the area for them to continue their education. Football did have their problems with failed drug tests, rape allegations, failing classes, and so on. I remember when they were drug testing I had to test at least twice a week and the people they knew were the ones troubled never did, so it would make it look as if the team was following the rules and turn out clean. The tests were done by then head coach, Coach Mynatt, and I'm sure he marked some of my tests as another player. He said it would be random, but there was nothing random about it, he picked the ones he knew was clean. I know of a player EDITED BY ADMIN, he just told him to get clean but I'm pretty sure he never did. I love what Coach Wellls is doing, making a foundation of some of the better players in the area to work with. Height may get them, but I'm certain he will not find any players as hard working as the ones he has signed, with their potential in the long run I see very good things coming to PC.
Coach Wells also has Coach Riley as lead assistant, who helped him coach at Hawaii Pacific!!!! Should see great things from the bears in the future.
I am looking forward to it...Especially in the future!
Glad to see him sign around here first.
Who was the guys he recruited from the 15th anyone know?
football05 Wrote:Who was the guys he recruited from the 15th anyone know?

Brandon May, Kyle Rice, Matt Maynard, and Shawn Thompson I know for sure,. all but Thompson have signed if I am not mistaken.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
not a bad list of athletes
Brad Lowe, Brandon May, Kyle Rice, Brandon Kidd, Mason Hall and Ryan Johnson. I am pretty sure Patrick Tackett will be playing as well. Not sure if Thompson ever signed. Matt Maynard signed for football.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Told everybody that he would do this..HE loves getting kids from the area that he is at..People can say what they want about who he is getting, but at least he is giving these mountain boys a chance instead of getting hand me down thugs from wherever!

Thats Right,goos post
Bob Knight Wrote:Brad Lowe, Brandon May, Kyle Rice, Brandon Kidd, Mason Hall and Ryan Johnson. I am pretty sure Patrick Tackett will be playing as well. Not sure if Thompson ever signed. Matt Maynard signed for football.

Them are some great players, especially Pat Tackett
Bob Knight Wrote:Brad Lowe, Brandon May, Kyle Rice, Brandon Kidd, Mason Hall and Ryan Johnson. I am pretty sure Patrick Tackett will be playing as well. Not sure if Thompson ever signed. Matt Maynard signed for football.
They should have a descent JV Team, of this group i'd say potentially Brandon May will make the best college player.
Good list of players.
do anyone know this year schedule.
Coach Wells is doing it the right way and hopefully the football program will follow suit. Growing up in Pikeville I am a big fan of Pikeville College Athletics. I would love to see Pikeville College become a college of choice for a lot of good athletes from all over Eastern Kentucky. If the PC football and basketball teams are playing with the good ones from the mountains mixed in with some good players and kids from out of the area then I think PC Athletics can become a pretty big deal in Eastern Kentucky and draw real good crowds. Pikeville College can become a hometown team to root for not just for the citizens of Pikeville but for everyone in the Big Sandy Region and other parts of the mountains.