Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading The Bible?
I have recently become interested in reading and having a better understanding of the Bible. I hate to say it but I'm 41 years old and haven't been to a church to worship since I was 17 years old. Don't get me wrong. I was raised by my family and we attended church weekly. My senior year of high school I thought I was too cool for church. I have never done recreational drugs or anything and didn't really drink much. I was never in trouble. I just saw too much hypocrisy in churches and I have just never attended church in recent years. I'm also the only member of my immediate family who is not a Christian.

Anyway, for someone interested in studying the Bible on their own, where should one start? Thanks.
Book of Proverbs is a good start
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Book of Proverbs is a good start

I'll do it. Thanks Jarons!
Read the Gospels... Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

The Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ is what separates Christianity apart from the world.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Glad to see this man! Something I really need to do more of is diving into God's word.
I'd offer, purchase a study bible. They provide very good perspective, interpretation, and frame stories/lessons well.

I get into bible reading mode more frequently in the winter. Always look forward to and enjoy challenging myself and being open to new ideas and viewpoints. They've changed a bit for me over the years!

Confusednicker:

Happy reading and enjoy...:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
:notworthy
Westside Wrote:I have recently become interested in reading and having a better understanding of the Bible. I hate to say it but I'm 41 years old and haven't been to a church to worship since I was 17 years old. Don't get me wrong. I was raised by my family and we attended church weekly. My senior year of high school I thought I was too cool for church. I have never done recreational drugs or anything and didn't really drink much. I was never in trouble. I just saw too much hypocrisy in churches and I have just never attended church in recent years. I'm also the only member of my immediate family who is not a Christian.

Anyway, for someone interested in studying the Bible on their own, where should one start? Thanks.

I'd start by purchasing a Contempary English Bible that is written in modern day spoken English. I recently bought one at Hastings in Richmond and it is so much more easily read and understood than the KJV. I don't understand why so many people are hung up on the KJV, as if it is the only Bible worthy of owning, since we don't speak or write in that format anymore. It was fine when King James ordered his scribes to translate the Bible in the early 1600s, but we don't speak Shakespearean style English today. As a matter of fact, it hasn't been spoken (except in his plays) in centuries.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote::notworthy

I'd start by purchasing a Contempary English Bible that is written in modern day spoken English. I recently bought one at Hastings in Richmond and it is so much more easily read and understood than the KJV. I don't understand why so many people are hung up on the KJV, as if it is the only Bible worthy of owning, since we don't speak or write in that format anymore. It was fine when King James ordered his scribes to translate the Bible in the early 1600s, but we don't speak Shakespearean style English today. As a matter of fact, it hasn't been spoken (except in his plays) in centuries.

Well said. The New International Version is what a lot of people read now - myself, I am a fan of the New Century Version.

Also, for everybody on here, is a website where the Bible can be read (use the "Bible Book List" just below the search feature) with more versions and languages than any of us ever thought existed.

https://www.biblegateway.com/

As for where to start, Westside, I would recommend the Book of John. The Four Gospels each have a different message about Jesus, both from a historical and a personal perspective. John describes the Miracles that Jesus performed, and his message is so positive - I think it is a great start. After that, I would recommend the Book of Acts, which details the events that happened after the Resurrection.

The Old Testament plays a very important role in the Bible, but I would recommend studying the New Testament before the Old Testament.
Read the Red Letter, Kings James Version.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Very interesting post because a similar thing has been going through my mind but you are taking action on it. I commend you.

I guess my problem is I don't know how to take that first step .
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Read the Red Letter, Kings James Version.

I'm with you Pulp, I have grown to love the King James Version and do not find it to be an overwhelming challenge to understand.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]