Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larry Maggard to Jenkins?
With the exception of a few years recently led by Chris Puckett's class and Coach Mark Johnson, JHS football has been way down for several years. There has been no commitment to the program from the board, the superintendents or the principles for several years and it showed. As a result there have been a series of coaches that really didn't give it their best effort. I know Larry and I know that he will pour his heart and soul into this rebuilding effort and the kids that have left will stay in the future. The times are changing at JHS in the classroom and on the field. For all the haters that think this will be career suicide for Larry, I think you are very premature in this opinion! Give him a chance. It will take a few years and as said on here previously JHS will probably never win a state championship but things will get a lot better. They will be competitive and win a lot of games!
We're Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
1bassman Wrote:With the exception of a few years recently led by Chris Puckett's class and Coach Mark Johnson, JHS football has been way down for several years. There has been no commitment to the program from the board, the superintendents or the principles for several years and it showed. As a result there have been a series of coaches that really didn't give it their best effort. I know Larry and I know that he will pour his heart and soul into this rebuilding effort and the kids that have left will stay in the future. The times are changing at JHS in the classroom and on the field. For all the haters that think this will be career suicide for Larry, I think you are very premature in this opinion! Give him a chance. It will take a few years and as said on here previously JHS will probably never win a state championship but things will get a lot better. They will be competitive and win a lot of games!

:rockon: :Clap:

sherman14 Wrote:We're Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

:Thumbs: :Clap:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
We shouldn't blame the problems that have plaqued the football team on lack of commitment by the board of education, because 90% of the board has been the same over the past 10 years and one of those board members was hired to coach elementary football a few years back. Mark Johnson left 1 year ago and this years coaching staff were outstanding young men that did their best with a team that graduated 12 seniors from a year ago. They had their hands full trying to rebuild a program, just as much as Larry and his coaching staff will. I'm sure Larry will do a fine job, but if he doesn't, he'll be hard pressed to find another head coaching position anywhere in the state.
Donald Duck Wrote:We shouldn't blame the problems that have plaqued the football team on lack of commitment by the board of education, because 90% of the board has been the same over the past 10 years and one of those board members was hired to coach elementary football a few years back. Mark Johnson left 1 year ago and this years coaching staff were outstanding young men that did their best with a team that graduated 12 seniors from a year ago. They had their hands full trying to rebuild a program, just as much as Larry and his coaching staff will. I'm sure Larry will do a fine job, but if he doesn't, he'll be hard pressed to find another head coaching position anywhere in the state.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion and I respect that but I would like to respond as follows: I wasn't blaming all the woes of the JHS football program for the last 10-15 years on the board but I think they do share at least some of the blame. As I said before I think the board, the previous superintendents and principles, and to some dgree the previous coaches all are to be blamed. No single individual or entity can be responsible for a situation as dire as the football team at Jenkins over this period. It is a collective joint effort in futility. There are 5 members on the board and in the last 10 years there have been 12 different board members. The current board consists of 2 members that have served 8+ years and 3 members serving their first term. The statement that "90% of the board has been the same over the past 10 years" is not true. I have been very encouraged by what I have seen from the current board over the last few years. ALso your reference to a board memebr "hired" as a elementary coach is a bit misleading. This individual served for 2 or 3 years as a volunteer assistant elementary coach to help out because his son was on the team. This hardly makes him a big player in the football program at JHS. The class of 2008 was a special class with a number of good athletes. You are correct that there was some big holes to fill when this class departed but this only helps prove my point that there was an overall lack of commitment to the program because there had been no players developed to fill this void. I also understnd that these are my opinions and don't really mean anything to anyone but me. My opinions have been formed as a JHS alumni, a long time Jenkins resident, and a paretnt of kids at the JHS.
So, is Larry officially the head coach? Has he been announced and met with the players or just Coach Cowells?
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:So, is Larry officially the head coach? Has he been announced and met with the players or just Coach Cowells?

Yes he was announced today. He met with 30 + today. Coach Colwell has also been introduced to the athletes.