Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Laurence Dunbar 70 - Butler 52 (E.A. Diddle Arena, WKU)
Paul Laurence Dunbar

Morgan McEldowney had 21 points, 7 Rebounds

Kierra Muhammad (18 points, including 10 of 14 free throws, 6 rebounds)

Brooke Todd (14 points, 6 rebounds)

Jordin Fenders (7 points, 5 assists)

Lakeena Parks (9 rebounds).

Dunbar shot 48% compared to Butler’s 32%.

Butler
Danielle Lawrence 16 points, 7 Rebounds
Dunbar will play the winner of Manual/Montgomery County in the Semi-Finals tomorrow at 10:00 AM
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) — Morgan McEldowney scored 16 of her game-high 21 points in the first half Friday, and Paul Laurence Dunbar cruised to the girls' state tournament semifinals with a 70-52 win over Butler.

The Lady Bulldogs (30-6) stymied every attempt at a Bearettes rally, eventually breaking out to a 20-point lead in the final minute despite committing 24 turnovers for the game. Kierra Muhammad added 18 points and Brooke Todd chipped in 14 to round out Dunbar's double-figure scorers.

Butler (24-10) shot just 18-of-56 (32.1 percent) to end its fourth tournament appearance in the last five years, which includes the 2008 title. Danielle Lawrence scored 16 points to lead the Bearettes, and Aareon Smith added 10.

Dunbar, playing in its second state tournament and first since 1997, meets the winner of DuPont Manual-Montgomery County in Saturday's semifinals with a chance to advance to its championship game that same night.

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...le&avis=B2
[Image: http://cmsimg.highschoolsports.net/apps/...0&Border=0]

Paul Laurence Dunbar's Brooke Todd shoots over Butler's Makenzi Martinez (32) in a girls' high school basketball game Friday, March 9, 2012, during the KHSAA Girls' Sweet 16 state basketball tournament in Bowling Green, Ky. Dunbar's Morgan McEldowney (23) is at center and Butler's Cora Moore is at right. (AP Photo/Joe Imel)
BOWLING GREEN — The Butler didn't do it.

Paul Laurence Dunbar's girls did — winning Friday's quarterfinals of the Houchens Industries/KHSAA State Basketball Tournament.

Dunbar led nearly all the way and whipped Butler 70-52 in E.A. Diddle Arena.

The Bulldogs (30-6) will play in Saturday's 11 a.m. EST semifinals. Saturday's finals are set for 9 p.m.

While it was Lakeena Parks (20 points) and Jordin Fender (19) who led Dunbar in a first-round overtime win against Boone County, the Bulldogs were led Friday by Morgan McEldowney with 21 points and Kierra Muhammad with 18.

"That's what makes us so dynamic and so deep — that we can ask different kids to take the load," first-year coach Sarah Van Horn said. "Some kids have rough nights, somebody else steps up. Overall, that's what makes this team such a family and such a strong team."

Brooke Todd, a 6-foot-2 sophomore, had 14 points on 7-for-10 shooting and blocked three shots.

Parks didn't score, taking only two shots, but her nine rebounds helped Dunbar control the boards 39-27. McEldowney added seven rebounds, while Todd and Muhammad grabbed six each.

Fender finished with seven points and five assists.

"We're excited, but we're not satisfied," Van Horn said. "They came here to do a job. These kids have expected this from day one. ... They told me when I walked into the first parent meeting, 'Hey, we expect to go to state.'"

As evidence to the commitment, Van Horn said that her players passed Thursday on chances to swim or shop.

"We watched four hours of film yesterday," she said, "because that's what they wanted to do."

The homework must have helped. Dunbar outscored the Bearettes in every quarter.

The lead was 18-11 after one quarter, and McEldowney's 16 first-half points increased the bulge to 33-22 at intermission.

"Tough start again, I think, is the biggest thing that got us behind the eight-ball here the whole game, since we kept trying to play from behind," Butler Coach Larry Just said. "It got tougher and tougher. They got off to a great start. They played with a lot better purpose than we did.

"We let 23 (McEldowney) get loose in the first half on us, a kid that we knew about, didn't take care of. So her 16 points, we kind of fought the whole way."

Any chance Butler might have had to rally drowned in a flood of free throws. Dunbar made 15 of its first 16 free throws and finished 27-for-35.

McEldowney made all eight of hers.

"If I see one go in, I'm really confident for the rest of my shots," she said.

Butler used a 13-4 run to cut Dunbar's 16-point lead with 53-46 midway through the fourth quarter.

The Bulldogs came back with a 15-2 blitz, all but four of those points coming at the foul line. Muhammad scored 13 of those 15 points, going 9-for-12 at the foul line.

"This time I was a little less accurate (than usual), but I made them when it counted," Muhammad said.

Danielle Lawrence paced Butler (24-10) with 16 points, seven rebounds and five steals. Aareon Smith had 10 points and six rebounds.

Guard Cora Moore added nine points and four steals.

"We've never made it this far," said McEldowney, the only senior in Dunbar's starting lineup. "Even though no one thought we would, we knew we would. This past summer, we just felt this team was going to be great."
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Butler High School girls’ basketball coach Larry Just had talked for much of the season about his team’s problem with consistency.

The Bearettes would have their lulls.

On Friday, Butler saw its season end because of a slow start and several other bad stretches as Paul Dunbar tagged the Bearettes with a 70-52 defeat in the quarterfinals of the Houchens Industries/KHSAA Girls’ Sweet 16 in Diddle Arena.

“You saw it again,” Just said. “That’s been us. There have been two basketball games all year long that I would say we played from start to finish.

“The rest of it has been that we have our runs and then we have our breakdowns. We started the game with more breakdowns and credit them for making the plays. We got our runs but we were just not able to keep them down (shooting) very well.”

Dunbar, the 11th Region champions, used a 13-4 run late in the first quarter to gain control of the game. The Lady Bulldogs had an 8-0 run late in the second quarter to extend the lead and then hit 13 of 20 fourth-quarter free throws to seal it.

The Lady Bulldogs (30-6) were unranked coming into the Sweet 16 but have now taken out No. 5 Boone County and the No. 19 Bearettes (24-10).

“These kids don’t care about who expected them to be here,” first-year Dunbar coach Sarah Van Horn said. “They just want to win. These kids expected this from. When I went into that first parent meeting, they said we’re going to the state tournament.”

Paul Dunbar has won 11 of its last 12 games and will now face No. 1 Manual and Saturday’s 11 a.m. semifinal. The state championship game will be held at 9 o’clock.

The Lady Bulldogs are making just the second appearance at the Sweet 16 for the school. They lost to eventual champion Hazard in the 1997 semifinals.

“This is great for this group and for Dunbar Nation,” Van Horn said. “It’s just hard to put in words how we feel. We are excited but we are not satisfied. They came down here with a goal and that was to win.”

Morgan McEldowney scored 16 of her 21 points for Dunbar, which hit 20 of 42 field goals and 27 of 35 free throws, in the first half. Kierra Muhammad added 18 points, while sophomore Brooke Todd tacked on 14 points and six rebounds.http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ext|Sports
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/manual...3ce6c.html

Paul Laurence Dunbar 70, Butler 62
The Lady Bulldogs (30-6) netted 27 of 35 free throws, including 13 makes in the fourth quarter, to beat Butler 70-52 in the first quarterfinal of the day.
"We shoot free throws all the time in practice," said senior forward Morgan McEldowney, who made 8 of 8 from the charity stripe. "Same form and rotation, one motion, just follow through. If I see one go in, I'm confident for all of my shots."
McEldowney scored a game-high 21 points, while Dunbar also got 18 points from Kierra Muhammad and 14 from Brooke Todd.
The Lady Bulldogs shot 47.6 percent and outrebounded Butler 39-27 to mask 24 turnovers.
Dunbar overcame five turnovers in the first three minutes with a stellar first half from McEldowney.
The forward scored 16 of her points before the break, including the Lady Bulldogs' last five points of the first quarter that helped build an 18-11 lead.
After Butler's Danielle Lawrence opened the second quarter with a bucket, Dunbar used an 11-2 run to push its advantage to 29-15 with 4:42 left in the half.
The Bearettes (24-10) trailed by 11 at halftime and cut their deficit to seven with 4:21 remaining in the game, but the Lady Bulldogs stayed poised at the free-throw line.
Lawrence paced Butler with 16 points and seven rebounds.
3/9/2012
Paul Dunbar 70
Butler 52
Paul Dunbar 18 15 14 23 70
Butler 11 11 11 19 52
Sweet 16 at WKU
Quarterfinals
Paul Dunbar (30-6) -- McEldowney 21, Todd 14, Fender 7, Muhammad 18, Jackson 2, Edwards 4, Raglin 4.
Butler (24-10) -- Stallard 3, Lawrence 16, Moore 9, Smith 10, Martinez 5, Elliott 2, Snyder 3, Casey 4.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...rylink=cpy