Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 63 Highlands 26
bo67 Wrote:During the season. Monday-Helmets and sweats. Tuesday and Wednesday game situations almost the whole practice. Scrimmaged our 2nd team on both sides of the ball. It was live. And I mean all out. Thursday walk through in Helmets and sweats. Tuesday's and Wednesday's were physical as hell. And we only had about 40 on the team. Sure you roll the dice getting a starter hurt. But we did it anyway. And 9 guys went both ways.

In the Mueller 90s it was like this:
Saturday: film, weights and running
Sunday: off
Monday-Wednesday: full go full pads with some weightlifting and film mixed in. lots of running each day.
Thursday: pre-game under lights helmets shoulderpads. lots of special teams. no running.
We had 5-7 guys start both ways.
I believe we'd do Oklahoma every now and few during the season. If you don't hit in practice you GET hit in games.
I asked Mueller about both ways. He said its hard to win a state championship with kids going both ways. I disagree. How many have been won there and a lot of other schools with kids going both ways. Conditioning is the main factor. And looking at last year and this year. It's hard to win regular season games with kids going one way.
It seems like Cov Cath is very effective at playing players both ways. You don't have to do it the old school way where players don't leave the field. Rotate and you can control your talent level on the field. Cov Cath did this and they have it down. Obviously your QB and main RB possibly wouldnt go both ways but have a guy play OLB and TE and another guy play G and DE and youre 3rd WR is a DB so on and so forth. I think the problem is practice structure. They literally have two teams that don't go to the same meetings and such, that makes it difficult. Back in the day Mon was O, Tues was D, Wednesday was O and Th was everything+ Special Teams.
You're right. You need about 16 to 18 guys that can go both ways. It gives rotation breaks to kids. Or even 2 plays. I agree on QB and best running back. You're practices were like mine. And the team met as a team. Not broke off into groups.
birdman44 Wrote:It seems like Cov Cath is very effective at playing players both ways. You don't have to do it the old school way where players don't leave the field. Rotate and you can control your talent level on the field. Cov Cath did this and they have it down. Obviously your QB and main RB possibly wouldnt go both ways but have a guy play OLB and TE and another guy play G and DE and youre 3rd WR is a DB so on and so forth. I think the problem is practice structure. They literally have two teams that don't go to the same meetings and such, that makes it difficult. Back in the day Mon was O, Tues was D, Wednesday was O and Th was everything+ Special Teams.

Its really hurting Trinity, Bowling Green, St.X and Male.:eyeroll:
Iam4thecats Wrote:Its really hurting Trinity, Bowling Green, St.X and Male.:eyeroll:

I was referring to running a team like that and having players go both ways is difficult, they would have to miss something or do extra. Not that having a total two platoon was difficult. Highlands killed it when they had the talent, numbers and Dale. 6 state championships in a row... do you roll your eyes to that?
birdman44 Wrote:I was referring to running a team like that and having players go both ways is difficult, they would have to miss something or do extra. Not that having a total two platoon was difficult. Highlands killed it when they had the talent, numbers and Dale. 6 state championships in a row... do you roll your eyes to that?

That's who birds are supposed to be right? There are now a bunch of teams in 5a platooning that you have to beat to win it all. You aren't going to step back to playing both ways without "taking a step back" and that won't get you the gold.
A little off the beaten path. But who are those kids on kick offs? They aren't starters. At least not many. If any. I'm a coach playing them. I put my best athletes on kick off return
Iam4thecats Wrote:That's who birds are supposed to be right? There are now a bunch of teams in 5a platooning that you have to beat to win it all. You aren't going to step back to playing both ways without "taking a step back" and that won't get you the gold.

I don't really follow. If there is huge talent drop off after like 20 guys you have to play both ways. Playing a whole game isn't that hard if you are conditioned enough. Then playing guys both ways is a step forward. HHS has won it all both ways it just all depends on the talent numbers.
Completely agree.
Nobody has won the 5a class without platooning since the class was created. Its not an opinion its fact. It doesn't matter what you want the situation to be. It doesn't matter what the opinion is or who agrees with it. If you don't platoon you don't win 5a 9 years in a row now.
Just trying to do a public service and educate the masses.
In 2013. Collins played some of their best kids both ways in the 2nd half. To beat Highlands.
bo67 Wrote:In 2013. Collins played some of their best kids both ways in the 2nd half. To beat Highlands.

True, but that was 4A and he was talking 5A. But, Fant played both ways so...
Highlands has to get back to solid football You can't miss blocks and tackles and win. Blown assignments give up big plays which are disastrous.
You have to practice blocking and tackling every week. They do some blocking. But not tackling. Mostly quickness drills. And 2 hand tag. Yep. 2 hand tag.
bo67 Wrote:You have to practice blocking and tackling every week. They do some blocking. But not tackling. Mostly quickness drills. And 2 hand tag. Yep. 2 hand tag.

That there I just don't understand. What that does it kill the killer instinct required to be good on def. TACKLE!
bo67 Wrote:I asked Mueller about both ways. He said its hard to win a state championship with kids going both ways. I disagree. How many have been won there and a lot of other schools with kids going both ways. Conditioning is the main factor. And looking at last year and this year. It's hard to win regular season games with kids going one way.

You are so right, you know more about winning state than Mueller. :biglmao:
birdman44 Wrote:True, but that was 4A and he was talking 5A. But, Fant played both ways so...

False, thanks for trying.
Iam4thecats Wrote:False, thanks for trying.

So you are saying he never played on Defense? Are you a BG coach from that time?
Highlands won 3A state titles in the 1-4A times with guys going both ways, which I would say is comparable to winning 4A and 5A simultaneously. But I guess the human species was different in 1999?
Just because someone played in the 60s, 70s, 80s 90s Does not mean they couldn't play in today's high school football. The players I know. I know damn well they could. Easily. And still go both ways.
bo67 Wrote:Just because someone played in the 60s, 70s, 80s 90s Does not mean they couldn't play in today's high school football. The players I know. I know damn well they could. Easily. And still go both ways.

Ha yeah, you think Gregg Roller and Corey Scarlatto would be scared of BG?
Both killed it both ways. Highlands conditioning back in the ole days was brutal, games seemed like walks in the park.
Could someone get me an emoji for sticking your head in the sand for these 2?
Iam4thecats Wrote:Could someone get me an emoji for sticking your head in the sand for these 2?

So is Eddie Eviston sticking his head in the sand? I know they are already painting '16 on Bowling Green's stadium but we'll have to wait and see.

I agree with you, old time ways of 11 dudes playing both ways the whole game is impossible to do in 5A. I get it. But if you rotate some guys (5-7 starters) in on both sides of the ball you balance out your talent. You can't coach speed and size.
There are several teams in the west platooning its not just BG. I don't know if Pulaski is still platooning or not in the east.
There are a couple of options that Eviston might be doing.
A. He might be sticking his head in the sand.
B. He might be trying to re-build a once proud program and knew going into the season that they wouldn't win the gold.
C. He might not have the number of coaches in place yet to platoon.
D. He might have just not discovered yet that you don't win 5a or 6a without platooning.
Iam4thecats Wrote:There are several teams in the west platooning its not just BG. I don't know if Pulaski is still platooning or not in the east.

Yeah I'm sure there are, BG is just a really scary outfit.

Look at the Highlands Cooper game. Classic example of how a platooning team just wears down a team that has players going both ways over the coarse of the game. - Exactly your point. But then look at Highlands matching up against Sk. They just got blown out of the water on D, talent didn't match up. You think there is no middle land where you work in a guy situationally at least??

The real hit to a 2 way speed guy is the other team runs them deep every play on hurry up when they are on D, knowing their legs can only last so long. That's what you need get around rotation wise.
Birdman I understand your point. You can win with rotating guys both ways. Like I mentioned before. About 16 guys that can do it. Example: 8 linemen, 8 DB/RB/WR/LB. You can mix and match on both sides of the all.
Way back when. There were only 3 classes. We were 2A. Do you realize how many 2A schools there were??? We won state going both ways. If you lost 1 game. You might not make the playoffs. If you lose 2. Chances very likely. You're not inh the playoffs. So I don't care about 1A thru 6A. There were teams with larger enrollments than us. They had some kids going one way. But we still beat them. Both my Jr and Sr year. We had 8 to 9 guys going both ways.