Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
13th Region Transfers
(05-09-2024, 09:43 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 01:40 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 10:21 PM)predict_proba Wrote: Speaking of north are they even going to have enough for a team?  Heard Valentine ran off another or almost did.  What’s his deal? Is he that unlikeable?
Heard that last summer he had 4 that were going to play minutes tried to leave and him and the assistant Messer threatened them with KHSAA and vowed they would sit for a full year. I know one of them called the bluff and left with no repercussions. My opinion only but I believe he is one of the worst coaches in the region and treats players badly. Good luck to them though.
Valentine is a straight up liar… He’s a walking condom commercial…I was just told less than five minutes ago that a kid transferred into North last year and played basketball from Pulaski County. Kid wants to play football I’m told and may have even practiced with football team a day or two this spring. I’m told Valentine told him not to play football and made him stop.. IF this actually transpired and I was football coach I’d resign immediately. Imagine having a basketball coach who doesn’t want football players on his basketball team..Hearing Coach Davis at South may have an experienced assistant on his bench this season that was a star player at Corbin. Davis and Hines gonna own Northside of town in basketball and football.. Someone mentioned on here Valentine is best asset South has for recruiting purposes. I’m beginning to think that person is correct..
On that subject, I'm hearing that North had one transfer to South for bball, the Stokes kid. He is a very good offensive rebounder.
(05-10-2024, 10:48 AM)FlyPattern Wrote: If valentine is so bad, how did he keep that position for so long? I assume that the Sheppard family were big fans?
Cause he did what he was told and that’s to keep certain names on the court and others on the bench..how is it Trent Noah enrolls at North during summer between sophomore and junior year and plays summer ball for the prick and ends up going back to Harlan County before school started. Then another big time transfer in Chadwell from KC enrolls at North and helps Shepherd take the Jags to State Tourney. Lose in first round and Chadwell back to KC along with Rawlings to South Laurel. Common denominator is none other than Valentine who plans to continue playing kids whose parents are highly political connected people. It’s not about doing the right thing nor playing your best players under Valentine because if you don’t fit in the agenda you want see playing time no matter how hard you work. He’s screwed over so many kids and yet the administration keeps him around because of who’s coming up the system next few years. Long story short Valentine is a POS and once a turd always a turd….
[-] The following 2 users Like Cowboy42's post:
  • Drop-step, shottaker23
[/quote]
Sorry they where only ranked 6th in the region preseason by Cats Pause and had two D1 athletes. But the point was that South can play uptempo teams and sometimes come out on top. Yes they value possessions and play slowdown ball but if they win the 13th next season they have a chance to make some noise, much like HC did last season. Everything depends on the draw for just about every mountain team.
[/quote]

Not sure Harlan County could have had a much worse draw in the first round with the 4th Region. You had the defending state champ in Warren Central and Bowling Green was one of the top 10 teams in the state. I've seen 13th Region teams lose in the first round with much easier draws.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Sorry they where only ranked 6th in the region preseason by Cats Pause and had two D1 athletes. But the point was that South can play uptempo teams and sometimes come out on top. Yes they value possessions and play slowdown ball but if they win the 13th next season they have a chance to make some noise, much like HC did last season. Everything depends on the draw for just about every mountain team.
[/quote]

Not sure Harlan County could have had a much worse draw in the first round with the 4th Region. You had the defending state champ in Warren Central and Bowling Green was one of the top 10 teams in the state. I've seen 13th Region teams lose in the first round with much easier draws.
[/quote]

Warren Central was just a avg team last year
Warren Central wasn't as good as the year before, but the 4th Region is still a tough draw. Bowling Green was one of the few teams that had beaten Harlan County this season, but they were upset in the regional. Newport was one of only two teams ranked above HC in the tournament field, but they lost to Campbell County in the first round.
Tough draw, but they got some help along the way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(06-16-2024, 10:30 PM)HCS Wrote: Warren Central wasn't as good as the year before, but the 4th Region is still a tough draw. Bowling Green was one of the few teams that had beaten Harlan County this season, but they were upset in the regional. Newport was one of only two teams ranked above HC in the tournament field, but they lost to Campbell County in the first round.
Tough draw, but they got some help along the way.

Anyone who thought the 4th was an easy draw didn't see the same Bowling Green team that I saw three to four times. Ritter would have been a major problem for any Mountain team and definitely capable of winning the entire tournament. Warren Central was no pushover either; they had some losses early but injuries at key positions really effected them during that span.

Aside from Great Crossing, Lyon County, a healthy Trinity, a healthy Newport, or arguably Ashland, Spencer County, or Evangel (who Harlan County beat), there's no way that you could say that it could have been worse.

Just me, but if you look at last year's draw going into the tournament, the only places that you could flip Harlan County with someone else and say that they were worse would be to just match them up with Great Crossing, Lyon County, Trinity, or Newport from the jump.

Newport's injuries were the type you really couldn't overcome; it would have been similar to Lyon County losing Perry. Trinity had some kids banged up, but Harlan County has a much smaller talent pool and having a starter with a broken wrist was much harder on them than what Trinity had to overcome if we're just comparing talent.
I agree the 4th region was wayyyyyy down compared to recent years but HC specifically Noah stepped up in a big way regardless of who they played. And I agree that most mtn teams have 1 really good player versus a team of really good players from the larger areas. When you make it to Rupp there are NO EASY GAMES.
(04-28-2024, 10:33 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 09:19 AM)Grannyshot Wrote: You heard it here first... There is a smoldering fire in Redhound Nation.  The question is can Coach P extinguish it. OR does he even care at this point?
Interesting…Don’t the Akin’s kids dad sit on bench with Coach P?

Is Johnny Crawford his daddy?   Why, exactly, is Crawford on the bench?  Kick him off!!!!

Corbin is likely to add 5' 10" Sophomore PG , Mason Salmons . He averaged 11 ppg for the Cabell Midland Frosh team last season. He'll be a nice addition.