Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should The "ALL A" Classic Be Discontinued?
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:I see where everyone is coming from. I still can't get past the point where there is the Sweet 16 for a reason--to crown one champion. When you throw things in like the All A--then you get away from that.

When you compare football to basketball, the talent curve is still there (from small schools to big schools) but it isn't anywhere near as drastic. That speaks to the fact that the Sweet 16 should stay--and all other should go. I can also see the argument for the small schools. It would also be easier to have a "grand champion" in basketball (1A vs 3A, 2A vs 4A = winners to play in championship). This would never work in football because AAAA would most likely win every year. Again--the talent curve isn't as big with basketball (5 players vs 11 players). It would still be hard--but a small school could win.

To sum it up--I am all or nothing. If we are going to keep the Sweet 16--then get rid of the All A. If we are going to keep the All A, then add a class tournament.

The All A is a invitational tournament with reps from 16 different regions open only to the A schools according to their bylaws. The KHSAA sweet 16 is open to All teams, no restrictions.
The All A is a great event it allows smaller schools an opportunity to win a"state" championship. The sweet 16 has not seen a class team win it since paintsville.

the All A does not take away from the sweet 16, it never has. and to be honest if the KHSAA could shut it down, it would because they hate it.
I crack up when I see quotes about how pure our state is becasue of one champion, that Bravo Sierria at best. We have 4 class's in football. Why? Are we saying that small schools cant compete on the same level as big schools.
So what is the difference, as far as I know a football field is 100 yards long with 2 in zones goal post etc. A baskettball court has 2 goal 3 sec lanes backboards etc
I think the rules for both sports are the name no matter what the class.
1A and 4A teams put 5 people on the floor
1A and 4A teams put 11 people on the field.
So if you get down to it then break it up, or tear it down.
Messages In This Thread
Should The "ALL A" Classic Be Discontinued? - by Doc Holliday - 12-28-2005, 05:32 PM