Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Matches That Define The Attitude Era ('98-'01)
[SIZE="3"]#8

Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit
Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship (Royal Rumble 2001)[/SIZE]

Full Match:

-----

I don't think I've watched much Benoit matches post-murder/suicide. Actually, I've probably watched 3 of his matches at most. When I do watch them, I get sucked in. Benoit as a wrestler was a MASTER.

2000 was a strange year for both Jericho and Benoit. Both were being experimented on with fake title victories. Jericho over HHH and Benoit over The Rock. It seem like both men were having kind of a hard time adjusting to the WWE style of wrestling. This match ended all of that and led the skeptics to shame. This is one of the best ladder matches of all time. Right from the start, these two Canadians go at it and never stop until the bell rings. They start with awesome technical wrestling and within 6 minutes, Benoit dives out of the ring only for him to smacked HARD with a steel chair. Benoit lands like a champ to the floor. It's pretty amazing just seeing him get hit so hard and still land almost perfectly on the floor.

This match doesn't have your usual craziness that almost every match in the WWE had. Straight up brawling. Jericho calls this match one of his favorites and supposedly was bummed out at the fact that it couldn't be included in his DVD compilation. Completely understandable but rightfully so, this match still stand the test of time. It also features the Walls of Jericho Ladder spot that Chris Benoit came up with.

Both proved their worth in this match. Jericho would end up having a successful 2001 as he feuded with the likes of RVD, The Rock, Austin, and capture the WCW title as well as becoming the first ever Undisputed Champion of the world. Benoit got injured mid-2001 but had he been cleared the wrestle, Benoit would've probably had a MONSTROUS 2001. This is the same Benoit that year alone had ****+ matches such as:

. Benoit vs. Angle WM 17.
. Benoit vs. Angle Submissions match Backlash
. Benoit & Jericho vs. Austin & HHH for the Tag titles
. Benoit vs. Austin at Smackdown!
. TLC match against The Dudleyz, Edge and Christian, and The Hardyz

And this was all pre-June! Benoit figured out how to wrestle WWE style and used to get over HUGE. Come to think of it, 2001 is a pretty great year in terms of wrestling matches. They probably had some of the best wrestling ever in that year. Perhaps there will be a list for it in the future.
Messages In This Thread
Top 10 Matches That Define The Attitude Era ('98-'01) - by Mr. Pike Central - 02-07-2012, 04:51 AM