Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Matches That Define The Attitude Era ('98-'01)
[SIZE="3"]#7

The Rock vs. Triple H
Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship (Summerslam 1998)[/SIZE]

Full Match:

-----

What is it about ladder matches with the Intercontinental Championship on the line? Make no mistake about it. This match MADE both guy's careers. Not like these guys weren't destined for greatness anyways. In a world where, for the most part, 1998 was headlined by Austin, Taker, Mankind, and Kane... this match broke the glass ceiling and started the new trend of main events to come.

This match and overall PPV is a personal favorite of mine. It was during one of the rare times of his career where HHH was ACTUALLY on a losing streak. I remember being 14 watching the feud and this match. I so desperately wanted HHH to win. I thought he deserved a break.

These two guys had an amazing feud in 1998. Better than years to come I feel. you had dX vs. The Nation. DX comes out dressed as the Nation and embarrasses them in a parody that is now seen as a classic. Obviously The Rock has great displeasure from seeing it so what does he do? He interferes in a match between HHH and D-Lo Brown and cost HHH the European title, giving the belt to The Nation. Not only that but The Rock also defeated HHH to qualify for the KOTR tournament. Both guys settled the score in a 2 out of 3 falls match at Fully Loaded 98 but just when HHH was about to win, time expired and the match was a declared a draw. The Nation and DX then faced each other in a street fight on RAW in which totally killed HHH. The Rock couldn't be more of a heel here.

Because of everything that had transpired, this match got HUGE heat. The crowd was eating everything up. Watch the match. Watch the ending when HHH gets the title. That's one of the loudest pops of all time. This match changed the crowd from chanting "ROCKY SUCKS!" to chanting "ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY!" Sadly, HHH didn't end up having a good IC reign. He had to forfeit it after being injured a month later. Consider that Rocky was so over as a heel and HHH as a face, it really shows WWE using great use to their characters.

Both men ended up having successful careers.

The Rock...

. Ended up winning the title later that year.
. Would end up headlining 3 WrestleManias in a row.
. Become one of the greatest of all time

HHH...

. Married the boss' daughter and ruled WWE as a whole
Messages In This Thread
Top 10 Matches That Define The Attitude Era ('98-'01) - by Mr. Pike Central - 02-07-2012, 04:57 AM