Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NJ Gov. Christie Vetoes Gay Marriage Bill
TheRealVille Wrote:So any state that doesn't stipulate marriage has to be man and woman has to give marriage licenses to anybody of legal age?
I never said that. What I said is that I believe that states have the right to define marriage however they want (in the absence of a constitutional amendment) because the US Constitution does not define marriage. States should have the right to define the criteria for marriage unless and until the Constitution is amended to supersede states' rights on this issue.

It is not a civil rights issue. Does that mean that some federal court and perhaps the Supreme Court itself may someday reinterpret the Constitution and declare marriage a civil right? Of course not. Given enough liberal justices Supreme Court who are willing to consider public opinion and international laws when determining the "constitutionality" of American laws, anything is possible. That is what make jokers like Barack Obama so dangerous to the long term viability of our constitutional system.
Messages In This Thread
NJ Gov. Christie Vetoes Gay Marriage Bill - by Hoot Gibson - 02-17-2012, 10:40 PM