Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NJ Gov. Christie Vetoes Gay Marriage Bill
TheRealVille Wrote:Just pointing out that you say the liberals, because of the decline in math and science degrading in schools, breeds the thought that a minority of liberals are the enlightened ones on this issue. Yet the very people that discredit science at almost every level, christians, are somewhat the smarter of the two groups, on this issue. They are the main fighters of this, because their book says it's wrong.
I don't speak for everybody and I don't pretend to do so. To me, this is clearly a question of law not of religion. The Constitution has not changed in any way over the past 230+ years in a way that would give gays and lesbians a special protected class status that would entitle them to redefine marriage over the objections of the majority. You want to paint this as a fight between the so-called Christian right and civil libertarians and it is no such thing.

BTW, I also believe that those who use the Bible to justify the current secular definition of marriage are as wrong as you are on this issue. But just because a small minority of Christians cite the Bible as the only reason that the government should not redefine marriage to include any two adults, does not meant that the government should do so. I believe in a clear separation of church and state but I do not believe in the federal government enforcing freedom from religion policies.

Current law is on the side of those whose opinions you dismiss as the "Christian right," whether you or I agree with the reasons for their position or not. Today's judges are no smarter than the judges of past generations, who found no constitution right for gays and lesbians to marry. That precedent should not be thrown to the wind simply because liberals like you don't think that it is fair.
Messages In This Thread
NJ Gov. Christie Vetoes Gay Marriage Bill - by Hoot Gibson - 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM