Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
t this point, we need to stop politicing and just
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:⬆⬆ In reality, history is complex. It does not conform easily to the kinds of "yes" or "no" answers that a lot of Americans want when they ask whether America was founded a Christian nation. Our Constitution forbids a religious test for office holders. Washington and Adams felt a grounding of morality in religion was necessary for a nation. Most Founders probably thought America would remain culturally Christian. As to religious liberty, Jefferson said, "It does me no injury for my neighbor to believe in twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." I have not once in my life been prevented by the government from exercising my essential Christian faith. I hope that is true of my Buddhist neighbor, Muslim neighbor, Hindu neighbor, etc. Government is dangerous when dictated by religious fanaticism, and the church is never more in jeopardy than when it craves and coddles secular power. History IS clear on that.

So if you're trying to define the differences between the conservative view and the liberal view, I'd say you did a nice job.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Messages In This Thread
t this point, we need to stop politicing and just - by TheRealThing - 07-09-2016, 12:49 AM