Poll: State Semi-Finals - Who ya got?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
66.67%
Corbin
33.33%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry at Corbin 11/25 **3A State Semi-Finals**
Both of these teams are better than they were last season.

Corbin is by far the most improved. Their offense is much more prolific and balanced and the defense is definitely more stout. They have improved in the passing game by nearly doubling their passing yards from a year ago. They've also cut their rushing yards allowed by more than half from a season ago. This has resulted in 160 more points on the year, or roughly 14 points a game. They are built to beat Belfry.

Belfry is also better than last season in. Noah Corbett passes little, but the passes he throws usually hurt with 8/13 completions being touchdowns and hasn't thrown a pick all year compared to 4 he threw last year in the same amount of attempts. He's also making much better decisions on the read in my opinion. The sample size is small but when 62% of your completions are touchdowns it makes the other team have to worry a little bit about the big play. Belfry's also deeper in my opinion than last season, injuries and other factors such as a ton of first half running clocks have given the younger Pirates some much needed confidence and playing time all season long. The Pirates always have fresh legs for the Hydra rushing attack that comes at you. Where I think most people overlook is that statistically this Pirates defense is better than last year. Especially in the passing defense.

Belfry has 28 takeaways this season, 17 of those are interceptions (Numbers prior to Russell game, which adds a few more). They have allowed 1001 Passing yards this season compared to almost 1800 last year. Of those 509 (~50%) came against 2 opponents, that means on average in 11 other games Teams averaged about 45 yards per game against the Pirates in the passing game. The one team that hurt the Pirates was led by the best WR I have ever seen play HS football (aside from maybe Moss), what many don't know is that Rogers was only 16 when he played Belfry this year, a 16 year old SR, I don't see Corbin has a kid anywhere near that caliber. The pass D may not be AMAZING to some but its solid and full of ball hawks and rushed passes due to penetration. #27 hits as hard as anyone I've ever seen for his size.

Things I see as key:
- Corbin can't get behind and start airing it out, balance improved them and they will need it Friday.
- Corbin needs to utilize quick short passes to get the Pirates big, fast dline out of sync early and open up more room to work.
- Belfry can't have a Knox Cath fumble seminar repeat.
- Belfry has to stay calm, limit stupid penalties and not overlook Corbin due to last years score.

This has the potential to be an instant classic type game. I would love to see the Pirates pound the Hounds into submission but I think Corbin stays in it until the end.

Prediction, 35 - 28 Belfry
Messages In This Thread
Belfry at Corbin 11/25 **3A State Semi-Finals** - by AtlPirateFan - 11-21-2016, 07:48 PM