Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Live Concerts: Who Impressed? Who Disappointed? Who Do Regret Not Getting to See?
Another group that I wouldn't have minded seeing live(especially in the early 80's) were these guys. I never really listened to their music back in the day but I LOVED their biggest hit. Saw it on MTV a thousand times. Fee Waybill is a terrific frontman . Great voice, great showman. From what I've heard they were one of the very best live bands out there in the eighties.  Check out this live performance from '83 of them doing their hit song and see if you don't think one of their shows would have been a hellava blast and a lot of fun.  Their live acts included costume changes, set designs, and a lot of between-song patter. Check out the live performance I will post below.

Waybill says the song was originally inspired when he passed a booth on a San Francisco street outside a peep show, the booth being marked with a sign reading "Pay A Dollar, Talk to a Naked Girl," and the frustrating conversation that ensued between him and the woman inside the booth. It was her job to entice him into paying for further "actvities." He told the girl she was too pretty to be doing what she was doing and invited her to come and dance in his band. She paid no attention to what he said.  Waybill had to change the original lyric "Talk to a Naked Girl"  to "Talk to a Pretty Girl." Otherwise, we may have never heard this terrific tune on the radio. 

Btw, a little trivia about this song that I bet you didn't know.  The song was produced by the great David Foster, who produced a lot of Chicago's stuff and worked with tons of artists.  Steve Lukather of TOTO co-wrote the song along with Waybill . "Luke" also played guitar on the track. Fellow TOTO bandmate Bobby Kimboll sang backup(he does the chorus) and Chicago's Billy Champlin also sings backup(the quieter parts).

Also, you remember in  the original  video , there is a young kid that is riding the amusement ride. That was Alexis Arquette(then Robert Arquette). He was the 12 year-old brother of Rosanna Arquette, the actress and namesake of TOTO's 1982 hit "Rosanna."  Also, in the original video, there is a mermaid. Waybill wanted the mermaid to be topless. David Foster rightly said no way to that. lol  They were able to get some breast imagery in the video, though. Check out the drum set. Also the amusement ride car crashes through a paper boobie.  And now you know... the rest...of the story.

Here's The Tubes live from '83 . Tell me this wouldn't have been fun in the early eighties :

Here's the original MTV video . Bet you never noticed the boobs on the drum set or on the paper they crash through.  lol

Messages In This Thread
RE: Live Concerts: Who Impressed? Who Disappointed? Who Do Regret Not Getting to See? - by Old School Hound - 02-03-2021, 11:20 AM