Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
Red Bird was actually legitimately good that year, I’m pretty sure that’s the year Paul Blackburn for them led the state in rebounding.

The answer to the other question is Middlesboro and Bell Co. Middlesboro won back-to-back in ‘82 and ‘83. They were led by Jeff Kyle, who signed with Minnesota when Clem Haskins was coaching there. They beat Clay in finals in ‘82, Richard Hampton, Clay’s best player, and a Middlesboro big man (Epperson I think?) got tossed for elbows, cost Clay that one IMO. The next year Cawood with David Hensley beat Clay in the semis (probably weakest Clay team of the Keith era) then lost to Middlesboro in the finals. If you want to talk about a team that was snakebit, Cawood had the talent to win the region probably 10 times before consolidation, and never won one. Again, HCS could provide more in-depth info on that.

Bell won in ‘77 and ‘80, I remember going to Freedom Hall to watch them in ‘80, my junior year in high school.
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Van Hagar - 02-15-2021, 11:08 AM