Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are you a Republican or a Democrat?
ComfortEagle Wrote:But is it the government's job to determine who gets these rights? If this is a religious matter as you are making it out to be then the government shouldn't be involved anyways.

Don't give me the sanctity of marriage comment either. 50% of marriages end in divorce, so there is no sanctity of marriage anymore.

Why are we denying homosexuals the same rights that straight people can have? Call it marriage, call it a civil union, or whatever you want, but they deserve the same rights.

It is the governing authorities who determine the rights of the people. America's constitution is based on biblical principles, and there is no talking your way around that. Religious matters are always a part of the government. Separation of church and state only meant that no one religious denomination should be in control, but what you are trying to impose is separation of faith and reality, which is contradictory. America's governing authorities originally based the constitutional rights on biblical principles because they wanted religious freedoms, not freedom from religion. They did not want to be told what to believe. I am not telling anyone what to believe, but am stating the biblical truth about gay marriages. Therefore, I believe it to be wrong, and our country should not separate reality from faith.

If you want to go that route, I can also debate with you that our government should not punish murder, because thou shalt not murder is a religious commandment. I suppose the government should not be involved in those cases either. The fact is, it is wrong, and our government should not make it okay for it to happen no matter what we call it.

I can give you the sanctity of marriage comment as well. Although, at least, 50% of marriages end in divorce, there is also 50% that don't. You see, there are some people who still live in decency and commit to one another for a lifetime, and honor the sanctity of marriage. Just because a large number of people get divorced for miniscule reasons doesn't mean that marriage is no longer a holy communion either. That's the problem that you have. You use the excuse that just because things are bad, we may as well just tolerate it, instead of standing up for what is right. I bet you'd rather argue against the good though and find err in it though.
Messages In This Thread
Why are you a Republican or a Democrat? - by Beef - 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Why are you a Republican or a Democrat? - by BaseballMan - 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM